Best sub $1000 hardtail

jaredwiltshire

Mar 10, 2003
Could somepeople please tell me what they reckon is the best value for money in the sub $1000 range, preferably under $800. I have looked at a few and so far the Mongoose Rockadile LE seems to be the best value for AU$600. Anybody think they can tell me a better bike for less cash? (I live in the Newcastle area of NSW)

Have a look at the Giant Iguana.

Better rear Derailleur, better brakes, better shox... :)

Specs for IGUANA:

Frame-6061 ALUXX Aluminium SE Geometry
Fork-Rockshox PILOT C 80mm Travel
Headset-Cane Creek 1 1/8’ Ahead Integrated
F. Derailleur-Shimano Alivio 34.9
R. Derailleur-Shimano Deore 9 Speed
Crankset-Shimano Alivio 22x32x42 170/175mm
Shifters-Shimano Deore 27 Speed
Cassette-SRAM 7.0 11-34T 9 Speed
Chain-Shimano Deore 9 Speed
B. Bracket-Sealed Cartridge
Hubs-Formula Front/Shimano Acera Rear 9 Speed Cassette
Rims-Alex Ace-18 CNC Sidewalls 32H
Tyres-Hutchinson Mosquito 26x2.0
Brakes-Tektro TB07AL Alloy V-Brakes
B. Levers-Avid AD3
Pedals-VP992
Stem-HL Corp Alloy Riser 15 degree 1 1/8
H. Bar-Alloy Shotpeen Black Riser
Seat-Post-Kalloy Alloy Black 30.8
Saddle- Velo VL1021 colour coded
Grips- Velo G-16

(RRP $995)

You could also go for the Kona Fire Mountain for $849 with basically the same as above but with a decidedly average fork.

I Agree with the Iguana. Personally, for an extra $129 you could go the IGUANA DISC which has Hayes Mechanical Disc Brakes & some other different components. You can find it for $1129 @ http://www.ferntreegullycycles.com.au

What do you guys reckon about the avanti montari with the specs below. I believe it retails for $950.00. Which do you consider better the avanti or the giant and why. My knowledgable friends put me onto this one (I'm a newb) as aparantly the equipment on this is pretty good.

Let me know your opinions.

Frame 6061 Alloy with 3 Main Tubes DB,Integrated Head Tube
Fork Rock Shox Judy TT 80mm Travel
Brake Levers Shimano BL-M420
Brakes Shimano BR-M420
Shifters Shimano Deore 27-Speed
Front Derail Shimano Deore
Rear Derail Shimano LX
Crankset Shimano Deore FC-M440, 22-32-44
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-LP28 Cartridge
Chain ShimanoCN-HG72
Pedals Alloy with Clips & Straps
Headset Zero Stack 11/8 ”
Stem Alloy Ahead
Bars Alloy Riser
Hubs Shimano M-475 Alloy Disc Front and Rear
Cassette ShimanoHG50-9 11-32
Spokes DT StainlessSteel
Rims/Wheels Zac 19 Doube Wall Black with CNC Side Walls
Tyres Kenda Kinetics 26 x 2.10
Seat Post Alloy 30.6mm Micro Adjust
Saddle Specialized Body Geometry Sport

For $950 I would recommend the GIANT Iguana (Not the Iguana Disc). It has better components for the money. Personally I would choose GIANT over AVANTI as I know GIANT give you more bang for your bucks, and GIANT is a leader in the Bike Industry.

However, test ride the bikes before u buy and make a decision yourself. :)

Let us know how u decide.

I bought a Raceline Enduro for bang on $1000 from my LBS last year. Their normal RRP is about $1200 but you should be able to deal a bit off the price.

All in all, it was quite a nice bike; if I hadn't been led astray with a test-ride of a road bike I'd still have it today. :)

It had a full-ish Deore drivetrain (with Truvativ cranks), RST forks, and Tektro mechanical disc brakes. I think their 2003 model has some better specced components.

Originally posted by rek
It had a full-ish Deore drivetrain (with Truvativ cranks), RST forks, and Tektro mechanical disc brakes. I think their 2003 model has some better specced components.

Full-ish as in what? Deore Alivio? LX? XT?... [mouth waters] XTR??

Originally posted by rek
Deore dérailleurs and shifters.. the full spec of the Raceline hardtail bikes are here:

http://www.racelinebikes.com/spec.php?spec=hardtail

BTW that Avanti bike sounds pretty good, especially for $950.

Do you have any problems with the Deore rear derailleur? I had that 'stock' shimano D on my Giant Boulder, and NEVER stayed in tune... upgraded to the LX version and haven't had another problem in the last 5 thousand miles.

Not really.. I did make fine adjustments to it every couple of hundred k's, not because it really needed it, but I like to have everything working perfectly :)

Maybe you might have bent the derailleur a little through some rough terrain, or a fall? The only driveline problem I had with that bike was with the front derailleur, and that's because it bent (only slightly but enough to cause a problem) in a fall.

I would recommend the Bike i bought 2 weeks ago..
The 2004 Giant Yukon.

6061 aluxx Fluid formed Frame, Nice Fat welds.
Double wall Alex rims. 1.4 Stainess spokes.
Rear Deore der. rear shimano m475 Hub.
Acera front der, Acera crankset
Hayes Mech Discs front and rear.
RST gila t4 Forks 89mm travel. (adjustable preload)

$770 AUD

Consider two things before jumping in...

No one has asked you what type of riding you intend doing. The frames mentioned are all different and are slightly tailored to differing ride types.

Also, I would have to say hold off a while and save a little harder. I know how hard it can be but in the (not too) long run it will definately pay off to have another $500-600 bucks in your kitty!!

Have fun with it all!

have a look at the avanti ridge rider it is basiclly the same as the giant yukon disc only it has eyeleteted spokes which is more durable the bike is disc like the yukon the price is around $850$au this bike is a $1000 bike that you can get for $850 because of the competition with the giant yukon disc

The problem I have with bikes sub grand or mega-millions, is that no matter how much you spend, you will find a few inferior parts that are not in keeping with the rest of the bike...for example, I was looking at a $2500 mtb at the LBS and to my disgust, I see a generic Kalloy seatpost, a headset of unknown origin, XTR shifters with Deore rear derailleur and LX front derailleur; throw in a Deore....you know the drill. My point is that you can have a most incredible mtb for less than a grand if you shop the parts, try to get NOS 8 speed XT stuff which is readily available, and throw in some good "toys" like Ritchey headsets, Salsa skewers, Thompson seat posts, KORE stem, Easton handlebar, etc, and know that your bike wasn't "cheaped out" in order to fall within a price range. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a LBS bike you can buy, that you can't duplicate with better parts, and quite possibly a better frame, for just about half the list price at your LBS. Happy trails ladies and gents.........

I would recommend the Avanti Ridge Rider Disc.

It also runs Deore on the rear, but it uses Manitou 6 shox on the front.

I have read people's posts saying that you shouldnt get the deore, and go straight for the deore XT. I am over the moon with my Deore, and think it is a bloody good derailluer with instant (and undetectable) response on gear shifts, zero gear noise and well placed ratio's.

I am, however, not hard-core off-road crazy and thus my bike is never treated roughly and my last ride ran SIS faultlessly for over 5 years, I see the current Deore set lasting a hell of a lot longer.

You need to aks yourself, will that extra step up in drivetrain quality and durabilty (which some people require) which will add another $150 to the price ever be used by your daily rides??

Anyway, have alook at the Avanti as mentioned above ($800 AUD), and spend that other $150 on a holiday/accesories.

Cheers