Best suspension post under $125?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by asahitoro, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    I have a older Giant CFM mountain bike and want to upgrade to a suspension post. Who makes a good
    one under $125? Any good online places to buy them? Thanks,

    Scott

    Tags:

  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

  3. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    > I have a older Giant CFM mountain bike and want to upgrade to a suspension post. Who makes a good
    > one under $125? Any good online places to buy them? Thanks,
    >
    > Scott

    i've got a brooks conquest flyer on my road bike, and it does a good job. for off-road riding,
    however, i think you will be happier with a thudbuster. i've had one for two years and love mine.
    with four bad discs, anything that improves riding comfort is very important to me. they come with
    several different elastomers to adjust for your weight, in addition to a preload bolt to set initial
    sag. there are lots of places that sell them in your price range. jensonusa, nashbar, performance,
    speedgoat, and pricepoint are a few you might try. smokey

  4. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (smokey) wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have a older Giant CFM mountain bike and want to upgrade to a suspension post. Who makes a
    > > good one under $125? Any good online places to buy them? Thanks,
    > >
    > > Scott
    >
    > i've got a brooks conquest flyer on my road bike, and it does a good job. for off-road riding,
    > however, i think you will be happier with a thudbuster. i've had one for two years and love mine.
    > with four bad discs, anything that improves riding comfort is very important to me. they come with
    > several different elastomers to adjust for your weight, in addition to a preload bolt to set
    > initial sag. there are lots of places that sell them in your price range. jensonusa, nashbar,
    > performance, speedgoat, and pricepoint are a few you might try. smokey

    Thanks for the reply,

    What about the Rockshox Suspension Post? Jensonusa has it for $45. Is the Thudbustor worth the extra
    $70-80 more? I'm mostly going to be doing some hard trail, paved road type riding for now. If I keep
    up on it, I might just and invest in a better full suspension bike later. Until then, maybe small
    upgrades to my Giant CFM 4 like this post, a new saddle, handlebars, some decent used suspension
    forks etc., may be good. Thanks again for the input,

    Scott

  5. Wbtobal

    Wbtobal Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (smokey) writes:

    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I have a older Giant CFM mountain bike and want to upgrade to a suspension post. Who makes a good
    >> one under $125? Any good online places to buy them? Thanks,
    >>
    >> Scott
    >
    >i've got a brooks conquest flyer on my road bike, and it does a good job. for off-road riding,
    >however, i think you will be happier with a thudbuster. i've had one for two years and love mine.
    >with four bad discs, anything that improves riding comfort is very important to me. they come with
    >several different elastomers to adjust for your weight, in addition to a preload bolt to set
    >initial sag. there are lots of places that sell them in your price range. jensonusa, nashbar,
    >performance, speedgoat, and pricepoint are a few you might try. smokey

    I agree with "smokey" Thudbuster is a great suspension seatpost, I've got one on my Klein and it
    really soaks up the bumps.

    Rock Shox and USE also make good suspension posts...beware the OEM types that come on most mid-level
    hybrids...they are sold as aftermarket replacements too...they're usually not worth taking home.

    Bill

  6. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (smokey) wrote:
    >
    > > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I have a older Giant CFM mountain bike and want to upgrade to a suspension post. Who makes a
    > > > good one under $125? Any good online places to buy them? Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Scott
    > >
    > > i've got a brooks conquest flyer on my road bike, and it does a good job. for off-road riding,
    > > however, i think you will be happier with a thudbuster. i've had one for two years and love
    > > mine. with four bad discs, anything that improves riding comfort is very important to me. they
    > > come with several different elastomers to adjust for your weight, in addition to a preload bolt
    > > to set initial sag. there are lots of places that sell them in your price range. jensonusa,
    > > nashbar, performance, speedgoat, and pricepoint are a few you might try. smokey
    >

    > Thanks for the reply,
    >
    > What about the Rockshox Suspension Post? Jensonusa has it for $45. Is the Thudbustor worth the
    > extra $70-80 more? I'm mostly going to be doing some hard trail, paved road type riding for now.
    > If I keep up on it, I might just and invest in a better full suspension bike later. Until then,
    > maybe small upgrades to my Giant CFM 4 like this post, a new saddle, handlebars, some decent used
    > suspension forks etc., may be good. Thanks again for the input,
    >
    > Scott

    i can't really comment on the rockshox post, i've never ridden one. on the MTBreview site, the
    thudbuster has the highest rating of all posts. they sell pretty well on the used market, provided
    you have a common size, like 27.2. the trails here in missouri often have lots of roots, rocks, and
    washboard. if that's the kind of terrain you ride on, the thudbuster's for you. if you ride mostly
    railtrails and pavement, you can probably do just as well with a less expensive post. smokey

  7. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (smokey) wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > i've got a brooks conquest flyer on my road bike, and it does a good job. for off-road riding,
    > > > however, i think you will be happier with a thudbuster. i've had one for two years and love
    > > > mine. with four bad discs, anything that improves riding comfort is very important to me. they
    > > > come with several different elastomers to adjust for your weight, in addition to a preload
    > > > bolt to set initial sag. there are lots of places that sell them in your price range.
    > > > jensonusa, nashbar, performance, speedgoat, and pricepoint are a few you might try. smokey
    > >

    > > Thanks for the reply,
    > >
    > > What about the Rockshox Suspension Post? Jensonusa has it for $45. Is the Thudbustor worth the
    > > extra $70-80 more? I'm mostly going to be doing some hard trail, paved road type riding for now.
    > > If I keep up on it, I might just and invest in a better full suspension bike later. Until then,
    > > maybe small upgrades to my Giant CFM 4 like this post, a new saddle, handlebars, some decent
    > > used suspension forks etc., may be good. Thanks again for the input,
    > >
    > > Scott
    >
    > i can't really comment on the rockshox post, i've never ridden one. on the MTBreview site, the
    > thudbuster has the highest rating of all posts. they sell pretty well on the used market,
    > provided you have a common size, like 27.2. the trails here in missouri often have lots of
    > roots, rocks, and washboard. if that's the kind of terrain you ride on, the thudbuster's for
    > you. if you ride mostly railtrails and pavement, you can probably do just as well with a less
    > expensive post. smokey

    Thanks smokey,

    Yeah I won't be riding anywhere too rough. There might be an occasional alligator step out in front
    of me(I'm in Tampa) but mostly I'll be riding modrate trails with a good mix of pavement riding at
    times. I went ahead and got the $45 Rockshox. It should be fine for now. When I venture into a
    little rougher riding I'll look into a Thudbustor. If I continue riding that much, I may just
    upgrade my whole bike. Thanks again for the input,

    Scott

  8. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "WBtobal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I agree with "smokey" Thudbuster is a great suspension
    seatpost,
    > I've got one on my Klein and it really soaks up the bumps.

    Thudbusters work great, but some people don't like the "down and back" action.

    > Rock Shox and USE also make good suspension posts...beware the OEM types that come on most
    > mid-level hybrids...they
    are
    > sold as aftermarket replacements too...they're usually not
    worth
    > taking home.

    Cannondale makes a post very similar to Rockshox'. Actually, all three of these posts are very
    similar, and work pretty much the same. I've ridden them all a little. I'd rank them USE, Rockshox,
    Cannondale. If you have a lot of seatpost showing the USE may be the only one that will work -- it's
    the longest one on the market.

    Matt O.