Best Threadless Stem (13cm Range)

xrogers

New Member
Aug 17, 2003
Hi,
I just bought my self a colnago frame (whoo hoo!) with the star fork. This is my first frame with a threadless fork. On my old 753 frame I had a cinelli 1A stem that I liked a lot. I would like some opinions about good threadless stems. I am not super concerned about weight. I want somthing that is corbon friendly and holds tights. Is the Cinelli Alter a good stem?

Shawn

I like the Ritchey WCS. It is one piece forged, and has four bolts up front holding the handlebar
clamp vs most stems that only have two bolts. The BBB stem is quite similar in appearance and
cheaper. In fact the two almost look like they came out of the same factory.

I 've seen a couple of riders fall when their welded stems broke, but the only problem I've seen
with forged stems is when one of the handlebar clamp bolts break on a two bolt stem.

Nick

"xrogers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I just bought my self a colnago frame (whoo hoo!) with the star fork. This is my first frame
> with a threadless fork. On my old 753 frame I had a cinelli 1A stem that I liked a lot. I would
> like some opinions about good threadless stems. I am not super concerned about weight. I want
> somthing that is corbon friendly and holds tights. Is the Cinelli Alter a good stem?
>
> Shawn

xrodgers-<< I would like some opinions about good threadless stems. I am not super concerned about
weight. I want somthing that is corbon friendly and holds tights >><BR><BR>

Ritchey WCS-

> xrodgers-<< I would like some opinions about good threadless stems. I am not super concerned about
> weight. I want somthing that is corbon friendly and holds tights >><BR><BR>
>
> Ritchey WCS-

Or even the Pro... I have 5 of them. Not quite as light, not quite as spendy.

Originally posted by Qui Si Parla Ca
xrodgers-<< I would like some opinions about good threadless stems. I am not super concerned about
weight. I want somthing that is corbon friendly and holds tights >><BR><BR>

Ritchey WCS-

I don't think these can hold tights, as the OP requested. For that, you would need something with a hook.

just curious about the differnce.. what is considered carbon friendly? I'm about to buy a stem for
my carbon fork and was wondering if there is something I should be looking for...

cheers...

"mt_biker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Qui Si Parla Ca wrote:
> > xrodgers-<< I would like some opinions about good threadless stems. I
am
> > not super concerned about weight. I want somthing that is corbon friendly and holds tights >>
> > Ritchey WCS- Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO,
80302
> > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com/http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite
> > eccezionalmente bene"
>

> I don't think these can hold tights, as the OP requested. For that, you would need something
> with a hook.

xrogers <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi, I just bought my self a colnago frame (whoo hoo!) with the star fork. This is my first frame
> with a threadless fork. On my old 753 frame I had a cinelli 1A stem that I liked a lot. I would
> like some opinions about good threadless stems. I am not super concerned about weight. I want
> somthing that is corbon friendly and holds tights. Is the Cinelli Alter a good stem?
>
> Shawn

Ditto on the WCS stem. I've got a 130mm for standard bars, and it's very stiff. I've matched it
with the Pro bars, because of safty reasons. (Bars do break) It only comes in a 84 (-6) angle, so
it gives you a little more rise than a -10 deg stem. I've read that is one of the better stems
for carbon stearers. Don't cut the stearer until you can get the new bars the same height as your
old set-up.