Best Tiagra 10 speed compatible wheel sets

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I question how beneficial a new wheel set will be, but I am thinking of upgrading my wheel set. I currently have a Cannondale Synapse Alloy with a Tiagra 10 speed groupset. The wheels are Shimano WH-R501, you can get a set for under 200. I'm looking to spend somewhere in the 400-500 range.

$360 or so...Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's. Even less money, Mavic Aksium or Aksium Elite's around $200-$250 respectively.

All three are very good wheels for racing or training that will provide you a noticeable weight reduction without being overkill for the rest of the bike. Maintenance is simple, durability is good and I think you will notice faster spin-up and perhaps climbing a little easier.

If you can swing a grand, the Cosmic Carbon Pro's are just a little bit lighter, but offer much improved aero quality.

$360 or so...Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's. Even less money, Mavic Aksium or Aksium Elite's around $200-$250 respectively.

All three are very good wheels for racing or training that will provide you a noticeable weight reduction without being overkill for the rest of the bike. Maintenance is simple, durability is good and I think you will notice faster spin-up and perhaps climbing a little easier.

If you can swing a grand, the Cosmic Carbon Pro's are just a little bit lighter, but offer much improved aero quality.

I guess the road bike community are big fans of the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's..They seem to be out of stock everywhere online! I'm in no rush, will be purchasing in the next few months(first snowfall in NY today). I'd prefer those out of the ones mentioned. The Aksium's will have me contemplating new wheels after a few months and the Cosmic Carbon Pro's will cost more than I bought the bike for.

There is not a big difference in the Ksyrium Equipe and Aksium Elite wheels. The Equipe's use the Isopulse lacing with the drive side rear wheel being radial and the off-drive side being 2x. Aksiums are laced the opposite and there is little real world difference in riding both types of lacing.

Going with a little more weight, but still using a straight-pull spoke, the newer shimaNO wheels are catching up. The Ultegra wheelset when purchased on sale is a good value IMO.

The RS21's are around 1850-1900 grams and are decent training wheels that could be used for entry level racing.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-rs21-road-wheelset/rp-prod121511

I think I picked up a pair for around $159 on sale from one of the online sites. Light enough to be almost fast and durable enough for every day training and riding. decent looks and a reasonable quality hub/bearing set.

There are people that actually believe the gunman was on the grassy knoll, the moon landing was filmed in a studio sound stage in California and Simple Green dissolves a bicycle chain. There was one lunatic that actually believed you could ride a Campagnolo UltraTorque Hirth joint crankset with a 1 MM 'air gap' separating the crank spindle halves.

/QUOTE]

You know the tune:

Bob, Bob, Bob ...

Bob Error Man!

So, you've been hitting the eggnog, again!

OR, is your apparent inability to discern that 145.5 is a larger number than 144.5 a byproduct of our post-War educational system?!?

That is, if MY Ultra Torque crank's Q-Factor is 144.5mm and YOUR's is 145.5mm then you are the one whose crank has the additional 1.0mm!

That is, you are the one who is apparently riding around with a
Hirth Coupling "with a 1 MM 'air gap' separating the crank spindle halves."​

Think about it.

There are people that actually believe the gunman was on the grassy knoll, the moon landing was filmed in a studio sound stage in California and Simple Green dissolves a bicycle chain. There was one lunatic that actually believed you could ride a Campagnolo UltraTorque Hirth joint crankset with a 1 MM 'air gap' separating the crank spindle halves.

You know the tune:

Bob, Bob, Bob ...

Bob Error Man!

So, you've been hitting the eggnog, again!?!

OR, is your apparent inability to discern that 145.5 is a larger number than 144.5 a byproduct of our post-War educational system?!?

That is, if MY Ultra Torque crank's Q-Factor is 144.5mm and YOUR's is 145.5mm then you are the one whose crank has the additional 1.0mm!

That is, CAMPYBOB is apparently the self-proclaimed "lunatic" who is apparently riding around with a Hirth Coupling "with a 1 MM 'air gap' separating the crank spindle halves."​

Think about it.

Do you know anything about the Shimano Dura-Ace WH-9000 C24 CL Clincher Wheelset? They seem to have great reviews and i've found sites with a price of 700+ or so. Two things about me is I'm not heavy, but definitely need a sturdy wheel(hit my fair share of pot holes. from the reviews, these seem like their made for climbing.