Best time of day to go cycling

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by hhassell, Dec 21, 2012.

1. vespid49

vespid49 New Member

I think that the best time to go cycling is in the early morning. For me, in any case, it helps me you wake up and I feel that I have more energy throughout the day after I've cycled in the morning. However, I cycle in the morning mostly because my schedule only allows me to cycle during that time. So my actual answer would be that you should cycle when it's most convenient for you, and when you are stressed out the least. That will make the ride much more enjoyable and much more fulfilling.

2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Member

For a beginner, the best time would be preferably in the afternoon when there's less traffic on our roads. Since the beginner isn't well experienced in hitting the road, clear roads will offer the best environment for one to horn one's skills.

3. Grimp

Grimp New Member

The best time of day to go cycling is when you feel inspired and free, when you want to feel the breeze blowing through your hair and hollar at the top of your lungs while the ground flows past you. Or, less poeticly, when its dry, you're well nourished, happy, conscious and healthy! :)

4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

My favorite time is early during the morning, when the weather is still relatively cool. I don't particularly enjoy riding during sweltering heat as that is both discomforting and tiring. Therefore I avoid riding during the mid-afternoon, especially during the summer months. Also when it's raining is another time I avoid to cycle.

5. Susimi

Susimi Active Member

I love riding around town in the early hours of the morning. Just something about being completly alone and free to cycle at my own pace while taking in the sights is just beautiful. I've cycled just as the sun was coming up too a few times and that was a pretty nice feeling, especially on a Sunday morning when nothings about. Any other day and the traffic starts to build up as people go about the start of their days.

The best time has to be at night, early morning like I said but I did have a wonderful ride one August evening when I took a short ride on the road at the back of my old house. At the time the sun was setting & there were some clouds around so it added to the atmosphere. The road curves around and runs alongside a pond on one side & marshy fields the other side. On the pond side the sun was just below the horizon & everything was cast in a black shadow against an orange/yellow sky with the tops of some distant houses & a church shilouetted against the skyline. I took a picture of the scene on my phone but have long since lost the picture which is a great shame.

6. 9lines

9lines Member

Anytime you are free mostly on weekends. You need not to go cycling for the whole day but instead get 2 or 3 hours. You can go cycling in the morning if have the time. If you feel tired and discouraged, you can join your friends and you will enjoy cycling.

7. serf

serf New Member

You can go cycling in the morning if have the time.

8. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Usually early morning hours are best because of body circadian rhythms, this usually means around 6am...however I do not obey that reasoning because that would mean I would have to get up at 4 am, eat, wait about 20 minutes or so, go ride the bike in the dark, get home, shower and change clothes and get to work before 7 am; so I ride either after I get home or if I commute to work by bike I just ride a long way home when I leave work, it's more convenient for me.

9. Victoria Kim

Victoria Kim New Member

yes, I agree with Froze that the morning time is much better to do cycling if you are living in a area which gets crowded after 8 AM or so.. Also, try to do cycling with a cycling partner as he/she will boost your confidence and will teach you basic cycling skills you were unaware off.