Best Tire Size

Paulanne

Apr 30, 2004
Whats the best size tire for a touring bike,I have a Fuji World that came with 700-32c.Would a wider tire give a better ride.A friend of mine has 700-38c and says he loves them.Whats the advantages and disavantages of a wider tire.
Thanks
Paul

Originally posted by Paulanne
Whats the best size tire for a touring bike,I have a Fuji World that came with 700-32c.Would a wider tire give a better ride.A friend of mine has 700-38c and says he loves them.Whats the advantages and disavantages of a wider tire.
Thanks
Paul

Wider tires generally weigh a bit more and tend to have higher rolling resistance. They may not fit in certain combinations of frame, fork, fenders.

They tend to absorb more shock, float over more rough "stuff", and have longer tread wear. They usually ride slightly higher and provide more protection to the rim and protection from pinch flats.
If you ride where "goathead" thorns are a problem... they will give you a wider swept area ... and it seems a better chance for picking up thorns and flatting. Otherwise, the "floating" over and usually thicker tread helps mitigate flats. Lower inflation pressures are usually reccommended.....and that makes for the softer ride.

Tire width should be considered when looking at rim width as too wide a tire... or too narrow a rim will make for handling challenges.

Tire selection depends on many things, but wider isn't always better... or for that matter worse. Lighter riders and lighter loads may choose narrower tires. The rougher the riding surfaces... and heavier the load... wider and wider tends to make more sense.

I use continental top touring 38's. They are super durable, comfortable and handle almost any kind of terrain. It is nice to leave the blacktop once in a while and feel confident your tires can handle a bumpy dirt road.