Best tires for training and long road rides?

gregneedham

Jul 27, 2003
Looking for help in picking tires. I can read all the catalog descriptions I can find, but I would like some real world examples from people.

These will be on my Ciocc EL-OS, used for long training rides in the Florida Keys. Road conditions range from v. good to cluttered with road side trash. I need a tough, puncture-resistant tire. Weight and handling important, but I also want tough.

Thanks.

Conti Duraskins ..... near enough to puncture proof and will go 5 - 6,000 km (or relatively, about 3-4 times that of a GP3000). The Duraskins roll really well but, obviously, are nowhere near as grippy as the softer stuff.

I am riding on Michelin Axial Kevlars with Spin Skin puncture resistant liners. A great combination, no trouble in almost 2,000 miles. I hate flats. I don't know if they still produce the Kevlar though, I think they replaced it with the Megamium, which sounds like a good alternative, one that I will use next. Michelin has been in the bike tire business as long as anyone...

Breaking News: Michelin replaced the Axial Kevlar with the Erilium not the Megamium.......

I've been using Michelin Axial Carbons for training for the past few years with success. IMHO, a good balance of weight/toughness.

Originally posted by gregneedham
Looking for help in picking tires. I can read all the catalog descriptions I can find, but I would like some real world examples from people.

These will be on my Ciocc EL-OS, used for long training rides in the Florida Keys. Road conditions range from v. good to cluttered with road side trash. I need a tough, puncture-resistant tire. Weight and handling important, but I also want tough.

Thanks.

I have had good luck with Conti Grand Prix and Hutchinson Carbon Comps. No problems with either over several thousand miles of riding.

Good luck with Conti GP here....no flats over the last 6 years. Before that, ran with Michelin slicks and had about a flat a season. After several years of Conti, tried Pro Race again this spring with new wheels....and punctured the rear on the 2nd ride...a small cut right in the center of the tread that just went through. My LBS guy who sold me the Pro Race swears it was just bad luck, that they hold up as well as anything else...but I just don't buy it.

Anyway, put the old worn Conti GP on the back and have used that all season long. When I remounted the worn Conti, noticed had more tread on it than the brand-new Pro Race.....
Dan

Anyone that has had good luck with Hutchinson Carbon Comps is a lot luckier than I am. I had 7 flats with those in 2 weeks and I am not talking little pinhole in the tube flat, I mean cut through the tire and blowout the tube to the point of no repair flats.

7 flats, 3 tires, 5 tubes = no more Hutchinson for me.

I'm sticking to Michelin.

By the way, doesn't Lance ride Hutchinson Carbon Comps? They must send the streetsweepers out to clean the TdeF roads before they ride. Seriously, do they?