Best tires for urban cycling?

AryaSnark

May 5, 2016
Central Europe
I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy tires manufactured specifically for urban cycling? I once had to throw a tire away after it was badly punctured by shards of glass I didn't notice on the biking lane, but I thought this can happen anywhere and I ignored it. Now I've read that apparently manufacturers are offering special tires that allow better speed while being more durable and not wearing so quickly in the city environment. Do you think it's worth the extra cost?

If you live in an area like you do with trashy streets just shredding tires and or getting numerous flats I would be less concerned about speed and more concerned about durability, save the fast tires for racing or fast group training rides if you're involved in that sort of thing, and get the tough tires for everyday riding and or commuting.

So what's a tough tire you scream, there are several, probably the best one for warding off flats and tire damage is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus however it is the most heaviest of the tires, next one would be the Schwalbe Durano Plus, followed by Bontrager Hard Case which is on par with Specialized Armadillo All Condition and Continental Gatorskin Hardshell, all three of those last ones are lighter in weight then the first 2 though the second one is darn close, and those last 3 offer the best flat protection you can get from any other tire OTHER THAN the first two I mentioned.

You could use a liner but I've found that all plastic liners like the Mr Tuffy not to be as great as people think, I've had goatheads (which is a desert found plant in the Southwestern US) to penetrate a Continental Gatorskin WITH a Mr Tuffy. The only liner I've found that I liked and I can prove it's tough is the Panaracer Flat Away, problem with that liner is that it's expensive at $15 to $18 each and it can only be used one time, when the tire is worn out you throw out the tire with the liner; but it does stick to the inside of the tire so there is no liner flopping going on inside the tire which raises doubt if the liner stayed in exactly the right position every time you have to take the tire off or installed the liner for the first time like the Mr Tuffy. Also if you're using high pressure road tires Slime sealant does not work once you get past 70 psi, however there is a new trick you can do as a flat slime type of thing, you can use Stans sealant in a non tubeless tire, meaning in a tube, and supposedly this stuff works really good against flats as long as the tire keeps rotating after initially being punctured, but I haven't tried it not do I think I will.

Thicker thorn resistant tubes can help to the smallest degree of what other forms of protection can help.

Personally if you get a really good flat resistant tire like I mentioned above you won't need goo or a heavy tube. Once I switched to Specialized Armadillo All Condition tires when I use to live in the Mojave Desert of Southern California where the goatheads were flatting me 1 to 3 times a ride all flats stopped and all I had inside the tire was a Specialized Turbo tube and no liner or goo. Since I moved from that region I no longer ride on trashy streets so I no longer use the Armadillos, instead I use pretty much standard road tires that I find on sale, though my touring and commuter bike I do use the Panaracer Flat Away liner but I only use it on the rear since the rear gets most of the flats and it's a pain to fix a flat on a touring bike with fenders and panniers on the tourer and I use it on the rear of my commuter so as not to be late to work due to a flat. However if I were to do a tour across the US I would get a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

What you need is a overall good pair urban tires. I can tell that Fyxation urban bicycle tires are neat for the urban jungle which you can ride across without sweating it (much). Combines a mix of high durometer rubber, Kevlar puncture protection and aggressive tread patterns, Fyxation urban tires can withstand the poorest maintained roads of the city streets. However, when the road ends and the trail begins, Fyxation tires are well enough in offering a unique blend of traction, control and puncture resistance.

What you need is a overall good pair urban tires. I can tell that Fyxation urban bicycle tires are neat for the urban jungle which you can ride across without sweating it (much). Combines a mix of high durometer rubber, Kevlar puncture protection and aggressive tread patterns, Fyxation urban tires can withstand the poorest maintained roads of the city streets. However, when the road ends and the trail begins, Fyxation tires are well enough in offering a unique blend of traction, control and puncture resistance.

I don't know anything about Fyxation but the reviews seem really good, so there's another option.

Yes, the reviews are great but I am not sure if they are from legitimate people.

You may run into 1 or 2 maybe 3 non legit favorable reviews, however the flip side is true too, you may run into 1 or 2 maybe 3 non legit negative reviews. If the average review is quite high then chances are the tire, or whatever you're wanting to buy, is good, just don't read reviews the manufacture website posts those they cherry pick.

I've been reading reviews for years, if the subject I'm reading on only has 1 to 3 reviews I may wait or if I really need it just buy it. For example I had to buy all new kitchen appliances for a new house we moved into and I read all the reviews I could find then selected the brand and model based on that. I'm I guaranteed that I will never have an issue with a product that received high reviews? No of course not, but the odds are in my favor that the product will be good and so far I haven't been disappointed, I would rather read reviews than to just point to a product and say I'll take that one because some sales rep said it was good.

You may run into 1 or 2 maybe 3 non legit favorable reviews, however the flip side is true too, you may run into 1 or 2 maybe 3 non legit negative reviews. If the average review is quite high then chances are the tire, or whatever you're wanting to buy, is good, just don't read reviews the manufacture website posts those they cherry pick.

I've been reading reviews for years, if the subject I'm reading on only has 1 to 3 reviews I may wait or if I really need it just buy it. For example I had to buy all new kitchen appliances for a new house we moved into and I read all the reviews I could find then selected the brand and model based on that. I'm I guaranteed that I will never have an issue with a product that received high reviews? No of course not, but the odds are in my favor that the product will be good and so far I haven't been disappointed, I would rather read reviews than to just point to a product and say I'll take that one because some sales rep said it was good.
I agree with you. Anyone will be not disappointed if the product is good. That means most of the reviews are legitimate.

I personally don't think that these are the best tyres, but I feel like they look pretty awesome (balloon tyres):
BK1511.jpg

I agree with the fact that you need a good quality tyre for a long term riding. The tyres must be of very high quality. There are many companies that manufacture tyres out of in the market. If you are a design enthusiast, then you would also feel the need for a good design as the above pic. It looks really great.

Pretty sure the basic ones are specially made for concrete and maybe a bit of dirt road. You have to switch it if you are going for extreme conditions, such as riverbanks, forests, or anything muddy that could ruin the traction of the wheels, making it harder for you to move without exerting additional effort. If it's just biking through the city, you can just stick with what you have, as most bikes that are sold are meant for recreation in streets and not for extreme conditions.

There are so many tyres in the market which claim to provide the best urban cycling experience. Yet, you should make your move after consulting an expert for a better choice to serve your purpose meaningfully.

Metro Tyres is one of the leading companies in India that manufactures global quality tyres for urban cycling. The company has its store chains across the nation offering its products at unmatched prices. What’s more, you can also buy the products of metro from various online stores also to serve your purpose.