Best touring tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Mar 13, 2003
Several have asked about specific tire brands . . . but I need some advice about what tires you guys and gals recommend for touring. You tell me (and us) the tire you like most, and why.

I ride a Canto and need a 20x1.75 for the front and a 26x1.5 for the rear. What's the most bomb-proof tire you've found? I don't like fixing flats!!!

Ben

> What's the most bomb-proof tire you've found? I don't like fixing flats!!!

I swear by Conti Top Touring tyres. My friend and I have put many thousands of kilometres on these
and never had a single flat! They also seem to last a longer than many other tyres we've tried.
They're not available in 451 however.

Mads Hilberg

In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
> Several have asked about specific tire brands . . . but I need some advice about what tires you
> guys and gals recommend for touring. You tell me (and us) the tire you like most, and why.
>
> I ride a Canto and need a 20x1.75 for the front and a 26x1.5 for the rear. What's the most
> bomb-proof tire you've found? I don't like fixing flats!!!

Continental Top Touring 2000 in both 406 and 559 sizes. A 1.75"(47mm) is overkill for touring. The
37-406 are plenty wide. These tires are bomb proof. However, I tour with Vredestein S-Licks. Much
lighter and almost as durable. I have also used Schwalbe Marathons in years past but the Newest
incarnation of these don't seem to be as sturdy as those made three years ago.

I have a nearly new Conti TT2000 37-406 that I would part with but alas, you seem a little far
away for UPS.

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

The Continental Top Touring tire is also my favorite "touring" tire.

Comfortable, handles very well, and I've never flatted a Continental tire yet either - honest.

The Top Touring 2000 has replaced the Top Touring. It's available in 26x1, 26x1.75 (I have this one on my Klein), 20x1 3/8, and 20x1.75 (the 20" are 406).

Originally posted by Mads Hilberg
> What's the most bomb-proof tire you've found? I don't like fixing flats!!!

I swear by Conti Top Touring tyres. My friend and I have put many thousands of kilometres on these
and never had a single flat! They also seem to last a longer than many other tyres we've tried.
They're not available in 451 however.

Mads Hilberg

Hi Ben,

I ride a Canto as well. I also tour and tour self-contained. My favorite tire is the Schwalbe Marathon. These tires have nice features like a kevlar belt and reflective sidewalls. They also have a good tread pattern that is enough for rougher roads but not enough to slow you down. I run 1.5 widths on both wheels.

Derek :cool:

Originally posted by Ben
Several have asked about specific tire brands . . . but I need some advice about what tires you guys and gals recommend for touring. You tell me (and us) the tire you like most, and why.

I ride a Canto and need a 20x1.75 for the front and a 26x1.5 for the rear. What's the most bomb-proof tire you've found? I don't like fixing flats!!!

Ben

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says..

. I have also used Schwalbe Marathons in years past
> but the Newest incarnation of these don't seem to be as sturdy as those made three years ago.
>
As angry as I was at Schwalbie Marathons for one not lasting one day (the other 2 on my trike are
excellent- so far) the Marathon Plus is offered which seems to have an extra rubberized section and
extra bands (kevlar).

I will give them a try since 2 out of 3 worked flawlessly. Maybe I was the unlucky one to get the
only French wanna-be!

Check www.schwalbie.com

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

I like the Continental Top Touring tires also, but I can say that I *have* managed to get flats with
them - with the "goathead" stickers that are available in abundance where I live.

I just don't get anywhere near as many flats with them as with other tires I've used.

I've been using Tuffy liners in my tires for more than a year, and hadn't gotten a flat in a long
time until the other day when I hit a big nail. Now I have Continental Top Touring tires with Tuffy
Liners and self-sealing ("Slime") tubes. Short of air-free tires, that's probably about as close to
flat proof as you can get.

--
Greg Dunn

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Several have asked about specific tire brands . . . but I need some advice about what tires you
> guys and gals recommend for touring. You tell me (and us) the tire you like most, and why.
>
> I ride a Canto and need a 20x1.75 for the front and a 26x1.5 for the rear. What's the most
>
> Ben
>
>
>
> --
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

I personally tour on the Shwalbe marathons 20x1.5. it's not the lightest but also not too expensive.
A good value for its duarability.

J Gaerlan - Gaerlan Custom Cycles http://www.gaerlan.com "home of travel bikes and bike travels"
(415)362-3866: (415)677-8943 fax [email protected]

> I've been using Tuffy liners in my tires for more than a year, <snip> with Tuffy Liners and
> self-sealing ("Slime") tubes.

I also use these two in my tires. Keeping in mind that tires themselves can significantly effect
your speed, I remember reading some comments about this combination, people were pointing out that
the slime slows you down by a mile/hr or so, and the tuffy does also. Adding to that the 1 mph/15
lbs of flab penalty, I realize that hiding within me somewhere is a top rider! Considering the
(slowish) speed that I maintain, with better tires and without these penalties I'd be cruising at
22-23 mph alla time! :)

> Short of air-free tires, that's probably about as close to flat proof as you can get.

I hope they get their production problems worked out, I am eager to try these.

About the only time I ever care about 1 or 2 mph is when I'm doing a club ride with a bunch of
upright riders. I tend to fall out right in between the fast group and the second-tier group.

I could probably stay up with the frontrunners in most clubs if I put skinny tires back on my V-Rex,
took some of the extra junk off, and kept my cargo to a minimum. On the other hand, I could also
solve the problem by finding a few more things to carry and slowing myself down to be content at the
pace of the second group. That's actually less trouble, so I'm going to start loading my bike up
with bricks before club rides. :cool:

>>
the slime slows you down by a mile/hr or so, and the tuffy does also. Adding to that the 1 mph/15
lbs of flab penalty, I realize that hiding <<

Are those numbers really accurate?

--
Greg Dunn

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I've been using Tuffy liners in my tires for more than a year, <snip> with Tuffy Liners and
> > self-sealing ("Slime") tubes.
>
> I also use these two in my tires. Keeping in mind that tires themselves can significantly effect
> your speed, I remember reading some comments about this combination, people were pointing out that
> the slime slows you down by a mile/hr or so, and the tuffy does also. Adding to that the 1 mph/15
> lbs of flab penalty, I realize that hiding within me somewhere is a top rider! Considering the
> (slowish) speed that I maintain, with better tires and without these penalties I'd be cruising at
> 22-23 mph alla time! :)
>
> > Short of air-free tires, that's probably about as close to flat proof as you can get.
>
> I hope they get their production problems worked out, I am eager to try these.

> the slime slows you down by a mile/hr or so, and the tuffy does also. Adding to that the 1 mph/15
> lbs of flab penalty, I realize that hiding <<
>
> Are those numbers really accurate?

I have no idea. I have always distrusted these one-size-fits-all formulas.

Be interesting to see numbers on it. Maybe Hugh from AirFree will someday run them on the dyno he
uses. Maybe he already has. I'd guess it would be nice to tbe able to tell ppl, "Yeah, you'll lose X
mph by using slime, Y mph by using Mr Tuffy".

Cast my vote for Schwalbe Marathon tires. I got 2000 miles on my current set and so far only one
flat--caused by a a roofing nail. They're just about bulletproof--so much so that sometimes I wonder
why I even carry spare tubes with me. Also, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable speed penalty
with these tough tires. My average speed seems to be about the same as with my old thinner Avocet
Fastgrip City K tires. Maybe that's because of the slick center rib on these tires.

Bill Anton Vision R-40 OSS, Lubbock, TX

[email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Several have asked about specific tire brands . . . but I need some advice about what tires you
> : guys and gals recommend for touring. You tell me (and us) the tire you like most, and why.
>
> Hmm did anybody try Nokian Ultra Tour? http://www.pedalkraft.de/_borders/Reifen/ultra%20tour.jpg
> 47-406...
>
> At least they make good studded tires for uprights...

On my EZ-1 I ride Kenda KWEST 100psi (@110 psi) with thorn-proof tubes, tuffy tire liners and velox
rim tape. Works for me.

peter spirito

>
>
> Ben

I have always used Town & Country or Slickasaurus....never had any probs

Status
Not open for further replies.