best track gear combo for beginnner's

climbo

Apr 4, 2003
for someone just starting out on the track what would be the best gear inch or ratio to start with. I see most track bikes you can buy (and like the one I plan to buy) complete come with a 48x16. If I went out to the track for a beginner's clinic what gear would they have me on?

Originally posted by climbo
for someone just starting out on the track what would be the best gear inch or ratio to start with. I see most track bikes you can buy (and like the one I plan to buy) complete come with a 48x16. If I went out to the track for a beginner's clinic what gear would they have me on?

48x16 is an 81.0 inch gear. Whether it is big enough to race depends on your age (particularly whether your age category has restricted gearing), fitness and riding style. More info please?

OK, 34 years of age, Cat 3 racer on road, Expert MTB'er in the USA, a climber, not much of a sprinter, TT ability is 60 mins for 40kms. I read somewhere else that about 86 would be suitable for a Cat 3, maybe I'll start at 81 and take a 15 and a 14 with me to the track.

PS. What's the best tool to remove track lockrings? Does Park make something nice and comfortable?

OK, 34 years of age, Cat 3 racer on road, Expert MTB'er in the USA, a climber, not much of a sprinter, TT ability is 60 mins for 40kms. I read somewhere else that about 86 would be suitable for a Cat 3, maybe I'll start at 81 and take a 15 and a 14 with me to the track.

PS. What's the best tool to remove track lockrings? Does Park make something nice and comfortable?

I'd recommend a 47/48 & 49, with a 14 and 15 cog. That gives you combos from 84.6 to 94.5 in 2 inch increments (approx). You'll probably be racing on around a 90.6 or 92.6 - an 81 will be too small for training for you.

If you can time trial at 40kph, you'll be averaging more like 50 on the track in mass start events. In a 90.6 that's an average cadence of about 110. You'll need to start on a smaller gear to learn to spin, but it's inevitable taht you'll be riding gears in the 90's.

And one more question: why are you planning to do track if you can't sprint?

LOL, yes, good question. I want to try and improve my sprint would be the answer, plus I just want to try it out. I figure I can get better from racing some track in my all around cycling and have some fun at the same time. The main reason to do track: 50kph on a 45 degree banked track sounds like a blast !!

And thanks for the tips on gearing, it sounds good to me.

LOL, yes, good question. I want to try and improve my sprint would be the answer, plus I just want to try it out. I figure I can get better from racing some track in my all around cycling and have some fun at the same time. The main reason to do track: 50kph on a 45 degree banked track sounds like a blast !!

And thanks for the tips on gearing, it sounds good to me.

Track will definately make you a smoother rider, but prepared to get your **** kicked if you can't sprint. But it will help you on the road anyway - learning to jump across to breakaways quickly, learning to ride more smoothly and hence save energy, learning to sit on the wheel (because someone will take the wheel from you if you don't sit within a couple of inches).

Overall, you'll have to benefit from it, but be prepared to "just lose" lots of races (you only have to win by an inch). Plus it will help you on the road if you can sprint, becuase noone is going to expect someone who looks like a climber to have any speed.

Oh, and track is lots of fun.....when you win. It's just short and very painful when you don't.

"becuase noone is going to expect someone who looks like a climber to have any speed"

That's a great plan, pretend I can't sprint then show them the trackie power inside....hopefully any type of extra sprint could help me in a breakaway situation also, where I may not be sprinting against the BEST sprinters in the field but guys more average in that department like myself.

I am 18 and used a 48x15 all year and catted up from a 4 to a 3. At the end of the season it was a little small though.

Im a 20 years old: ¿whats the best track combo for the kilo? Im a beginner.
To training every day it´s better a big gear than I use to race or viceverse?

Thanks

i took my fixie out on the road the other night with a 48x14 on it. it was big. hard to accelerate. but once i got it to 25mph it was okay.
so if the race speed is never below 25ish, then 48x14 would be good.

Boardman said:
Im a 20 years old: ¿whats the best track combo for the kilo? Im a beginner.
To training every day it´s better a big gear than I use to race or viceverse?

Thanks

Run a smaller gear in training. These would be my selection of gears for events. However, dependent upon track and weather.

Your kilo gear on an indoor board velodrome would be higher than your sprint gear. Say from 93.6 (52x15 sprint) to 96.4 (50x14 kilo). Endurance (scratch, points, madison) you would gear down to a 92.6 (48x14) because of the variation in pace and you need acceleration to handle the surges. Pursuit would require a gear of around about 100 (52x14). A keiran you would use a gear higher than your sprint - say a 94.5 and also use that gear in a 200m TT.

Either you should have plenty of cogs, chains and chainwheels (ideally a mechanic too!) or show your wealth and have a bike for each event.

Thanks Veloflash, here in Argentina all the tracks are made of concrete and outdoor, here in mi town there are two (concrete both) one of 333.33m and the second is of 490m! and hard to ride all the time, because its a windy zone. ¿What do you think about this kind of conditions? and what gear do you recomended me?.

Bye.

Boardman said:
Thanks Veloflash, here in Argentina all the tracks are made of concrete and outdoor, here in mi town there are two (concrete both) one of 333.33m and the second is of 490m! and hard to ride all the time, because its a windy zone. ¿What do you think about this kind of conditions? and what gear do you recomended me?.

Bye.

Dont like those conditions, Christopher :)

The event, track surface, wind and temperature (not forgetting adrenaline)are the mix that has to be dealt with to determine the selection of a gear. Generally you will have to gear down on an outside track compared to an indoor board velodrome.

There is no rule. It will be trial and error giving you experience. You learn from your mistakes :)

Try a gear in training. You will soon know if it is too big or small. You then have to factor in the adrenaline rush of competition that will lighten the pedal load.