Best track sprinter

Discussion in 'Track Racing' started by Lee Povey, Nov 16, 2004.

1. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

2. Lee Povey

Lee Povey New Member

I take it most here are from Auz?

I'm amazed that Gary Neiwand has had 22% of the vote when he has only one world tiltle to his name!
    Jens Fiedler hasn't had a single vote yet he is two times Olympic champion, maybe those that have voted for Neiwand could explain why?

Lee

3. ed073

ed073 New Member

Because he always came up against unbeatable East Germans in semis and finals.

4. drewjc

drewjc New Member

Dont mean to nit-pick but Niewand has won 3 world titles that i am aware of, but only one in the sprint. He did the double that year with the kieren and absolutely demolished the Japanese guys at home in the kieren series, then went on a couple of years later to beat the french in the Olympic sprint with Darryn Hill and Shane Kelly. Apart from this he rode an almost perfect race (against two french, two germans and the guy who won the sprint at the same meet) to win silver in the Sydney olympic kieren...

5. ed073

ed073 New Member

John Kennedy??

lol....:)

6. 531Aussie

7. armchair_spacem

armchair_spacem New Member

There's a lot more to come from Flyin' Ryan Bayley. Worth noting that some of his Olympic and World Champs times were slightly overstated as a result of his kick to the line raising his front wheel - many of his times reflect when his BACK wheel crosses.

8. armchair_spacem

armchair_spacem New Member

9. Lasalles

Lasalles New Member

Just on John Kennedy,wasnt he the World Straightline Champ or something?
    Now the thing i find amazing is that id rate Darryn Hill and Gary Neiwand well ahead of Ryan Bayley yet Bayley at Athens has done what Hill and Neiwand couldnt.Oh and Bayley also made it look easy!!!

10. 531Aussie

As far as I know, John Kennedy still holds the world record for the
    "Professional Outdoor Flying 200m", with a time of 10.405 seconds.

10.405 J. F. KENNEDY (USA) 24.08.1991 COLORADO SPRINGS (USA), V. 7-Eleven

There's an error on the UCI page which states that he's from the USA.
    http://www.uci.ch/english/palmares/track/record_index.htm

Obviously, since 1991 the pros and amateurs have been thrown in together, so his "professional" is kinda redundant.

I think the attempt cost him about $10,000, so he naturally sought sponsors, and was contacted by Zipp to use one of their bikes. I'm too scared to tell the story about his thoughts on the bike for fear of liable :) , but i'll just say that there were definitely moments that John wished he was on one of his good old steel track bikes.

11. velomanct

velomanct New Member

Nothstein did 10.347 on an outdoor track 1996 in T-town http://www.lvvelo.org/records.htm

12. 531Aussie

Ah well, he should've had a UCI official there, like John did, then
    he might've got himself an official record. :)

13. VeloFlash

VeloFlash New Member

Some sprinters during qualifying for the 200m TT will attempt to lift their front wheel when hitting the timing strip start so the clock runs off the back wheel.

200m times during actual match racing are irrelevant and should not be used as markers for comparison. Having the fastest 200m time during racing has no bragging rights if you cannot win 2 out of 3 and are eliminated or lose the final.

There are good match sprinters who have difficulty qualifying through the 200m TTs. 200m TTs do not address tactical skills and acceleration.

Must go practice lifting my front wheel :)

14. taras0000

taras0000 New Member

That's gotta be damn hard with all the force onthe rider

15. leif_bike

leif_bike New Member

Is it even legal? Do officials look for this? This sounds nearly impossible to do on a shorter track. Maybe on a 400 where you hit the timing strip before the turn.

16. Fat Hack

Fat Hack New Member

If anyone watched the Olympics, they would've seen Bayley do this several times.

17. atduk92

atduk92 New Member

why would Bayley have done this several times at the Olympics? surely he only did one 200m TT?

Unless you are referring to his customary bike throw at the finish line where his front wheel often leaves the ground, ofcourse being timed on your back wheel at the finish line has the opposite effect to being timed on your back wheel at the 200m line, as pointed out earlier in this thread.

18. maarten

maarten New Member

Its not that hard or special. I know several riders(non pro) who can do this. Even on 166meter and 250 meter tracks in the turn. The lifting is not the hard thing its the timing. You need to lift at the right spot not too late not early and not too long as it all costs time. The best ones only lift their wheel 5cm from the track for a short distance(minimal risk and effort for the same gain.

19. ricardo7

ricardo7 New Member

Ryan Bayley, hands down. Most comprehensive annihilation in olympic (any sport) history.

20. traff

traff New Member

58''875 ARNAUD TOURNANT (FRA)

Not only does Arnaud hold the current WR for the standing start Kilo but seeing him race in person was really awesome. He's so strong he could toy with the other racers and then accelerate down the backstretch, pull into turn 3 with the lead and then give it enough to beat the other guy. He didn't have to rub it in their face or get all cocky. He didnt' need to be a Nothstein to prove how fast he is. In fact when it came down to the final with the two French riders he gave the win to his teammate who needed the points.

Arnaud is a very friendly guy who isn't all caught up in himself or his world record. I worked the recent World Cup in L.A. as a holder and gate tech and got to talk to quite a few of the racers. Spoke to Arnaud for about a half hour and he gave me all kinds of tips on tracks, technique, bikes, tires, etc.

That would be my vote. :cool: