Best training...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Coyoteboy, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. Coyoteboy

    Coyoteboy Guest

    I've been riding to work off and on for a few weeks, its 18 miles each
    way - pretty tough 1mile steep climb,one mile descent, one mile climb,
    one mile flat...etc - loads of ups and downs for long distances. Great
    for training. But i find if i do both ways in one day I end up with a
    saddle sore bum and burnt out to a major degree and cant do it again
    until maybe the end of the week.

    Would you agree that I may be better doign on direction only and
    getting the train back - and doing that 2/3 times a week instead of one
    or maybe at most two full journeys? I find i can push myself harder if
    i only do one way, i have to conserve if i do both or i wont make it
    home. (found that out to my pain last month when i pushed both ways and
    made it halfway home and couldnt ride any further for the continuous
    burn and cramps lol).

    Any advice appreciated.

  2. TM

    TM Guest

    "Coyoteboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Would you agree that I may be better doign on direction only and
    > getting the train back - and doing that 2/3 times a week instead of one
    > or maybe at most two full journeys? I find i can push myself harder if
    > i only do one way, i have to conserve if i do both or i wont make it
    > home.

    I'd do the exact opposite. Dial it back to a level that you can do both
    ways without blowing up.

  3. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Coyoteboy wrote:
    > I've been riding to work off and on for a few weeks, its 18 miles each
    > way - pretty tough 1mile steep climb,one mile descent, one mile climb,
    > one mile flat...etc - loads of ups and downs for long distances. Great
    > for training. But i find if i do both ways in one day I end up with a
    > saddle sore bum and burnt out to a major degree and cant do it again
    > until maybe the end of the week.
    >
    > Would you agree that I may be better doign on direction only and
    > getting the train back - and doing that 2/3 times a week instead of one
    > or maybe at most two full journeys? I find i can push myself harder if
    > i only do one way, i have to conserve if i do both or i wont make it
    > home. (found that out to my pain last month when i pushed both ways and
    > made it halfway home and couldnt ride any further for the continuous
    > burn and cramps lol).
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

    Tough to say what's best for you, but maybe you should taper into doing
    it both ways each day. Do it a couple times a week, then keep adding one
    more time as you feel you can take it. No need to push it all that hard,
    the road miles will do their thing even if you just spin it easily.
    If you're feeling strong, push it hard on the way home when you can.
    That way at least you'll be all sweaty and burnt at home instead of at work.

    Matt

  4. BB

    BB Guest

    On 2 Aug 2005 03:24:25 -0700, Coyoteboy wrote:

    > Would you agree that I may be better doign on direction only and
    > getting the train back - and doing that 2/3 times a week instead of one
    > or maybe at most two full journeys?

    Well I'm no expert, but I find it difficult to maintain a training program
    that is pure hell. I'd say ride one-way three times a week - it also saves
    you from having to come into work all sweaty!

    --
    -BB-
    To e-mail me, unmunge my address

    news:[email protected]

    http://www.cptips.com/
    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest, I've just wasted.

  6. JD

    JD Guest

    The best way to learn and/or get in shape for mountain biking is to go
    mountain biking. Go figure.

    JD

  7. Coyoteboy

    Coyoteboy Guest

    JD wrote:
    > The best way to learn and/or get in shape for mountain biking is to go
    > mountain biking. Go figure.
    >
    > JD

    Naturally, but a) I'm not only looking to get fit for mtbing and b) I
    dont have anywhere with a long (>8 miles) offroad ride within about an
    hours drive so its impossible to do any fitness training on the bike
    regularly.

  8. JD

    JD Guest

    Coyoteboy wrote:
    > JD wrote:
    > > The best way to learn and/or get in shape for mountain biking is to go
    > > mountain biking. Go figure.
    > >
    > > JD

    > Naturally, but a) I'm not only looking to get fit for mtbing and b) I
    > dont have anywhere with a long (>8 miles) offroad ride within about an
    > hours drive so its impossible to do any fitness training on the bike
    > regularly.

    Try a fitness newsgroup then. This one is about mountain biking.

    JD

  9. JD wrote:
    > Coyoteboy wrote:
    > > JD wrote:
    > > > The best way to learn and/or get in shape for mountain biking is to go
    > > > mountain biking. Go figure.
    > > >
    > > > JD

    > > Naturally, but a) I'm not only looking to get fit for mtbing and b) I
    > > dont have anywhere with a long (>8 miles) offroad ride within about an
    > > hours drive so its impossible to do any fitness training on the bike
    > > regularly.

    > Try a fitness newsgroup then. This one is about mountain biking.
    >
    > JD

    Or get a road bike.

    /s
    Muhaha....

  10. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Coyoteboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've been riding to work off and on for a few weeks, its 18 miles each
    > way - pretty tough 1mile steep climb,one mile descent, one mile climb,
    > one mile flat...etc - loads of ups and downs for long distances. Great
    > for training. But i find if i do both ways in one day I end up with a
    > saddle sore bum and burnt out to a major degree and cant do it again
    > until maybe the end of the week.
    >
    > Would you agree that I may be better doign on direction only and
    > getting the train back - and doing that 2/3 times a week instead of one
    > or maybe at most two full journeys? I find i can push myself harder if
    > i only do one way, i have to conserve if i do both or i wont make it
    > home. (found that out to my pain last month when i pushed both ways and
    > made it halfway home and couldnt ride any further for the continuous
    > burn and cramps lol).
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

    36 mi per day is a bit much for most anybody. I commute about 12 mi 3x a
    week on the average . Add that to 2 to 4 mtn rides/week, and that's enough
    for this ole boy...

    CDB

  11. Coyoteboy

    Coyoteboy Guest

    JD wrote:

    > Try a fitness newsgroup then. This one is about mountain biking.
    >
    > JD

    No.

  12. Coyoteboy

    Coyoteboy Guest

    JD wrote:

    > Try a fitness newsgroup then. This one is about mountain biking.
    >
    > JD

    No.

  13. Put your bike on your car and drive it to work. Take riding clothes
    and a change of work clothes with you. After work, change into the
    riding clothes and ride home. Next morning ride your bike to work,
    change into your work clothes, strap your bike to the car.

    coop

  14. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Coyoteboy wrote:
    > I've been riding to work off and on for a few weeks, its 18 miles each
    > way - pretty tough 1mile steep climb,one mile descent, one mile climb,
    > one mile flat...etc - loads of ups and downs for long distances. Great
    > for training. But i find if i do both ways in one day I end up with a
    > saddle sore bum and burnt out to a major degree and cant do it again
    > until maybe the end of the week.
    >
    > Would you agree that I may be better doign on direction only and
    > getting the train back - and doing that 2/3 times a week instead of one
    > or maybe at most two full journeys? I find i can push myself harder if
    > i only do one way, i have to conserve if i do both or i wont make it
    > home. (found that out to my pain last month when i pushed both ways and
    > made it halfway home and couldnt ride any further for the continuous
    > burn and cramps lol).
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

    Over training can kill you. Once you have finished burning the fat, you
    start burning muscle. Guess which muscle is one of the first to start
    burning? The one that get's used the most, your heart. Over training
    and burning muscle can cause arithmia and even cardiac arrest.

    You should talk with your doctor or find a well certified personal
    trainer to give you an optimal training schedule. I used to ride every
    day, with short yet fast road rides during the week. I am a picky eater
    as well and wasn't taking in enough calories or protien. Bad combo and
    luckily my doctor stopped me before it was too late. I know a few
    people who were not so lucky and one now has a pacemaker.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  15. cc

    cc Guest

    you have a gym close by...

    try alternating spinning classes with controlled weight training...mtb
    riding requires more upper body strength than roadies..so make sure you
    focus on a overall body workout. Start sets with low weights, doing about 25
    reps...adding weight and lowering reps as you go..about 3-4 step ups...that
    way you warm up, train for lean strength and power. Arms, chest, ab's and
    back...then legs....try vary training sequence as well....legs first one
    day, upper 1st other day...

    ....just a guide...

    HTH

    "Coyoteboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > JD wrote:
    >> The best way to learn and/or get in shape for mountain biking is to go
    >> mountain biking. Go figure.
    >>
    >> JD

    > Naturally, but a) I'm not only looking to get fit for mtbing and b) I
    > dont have anywhere with a long (>8 miles) offroad ride within about an
    > hours drive so its impossible to do any fitness training on the bike
    > regularly.

  16. JD

    JD Guest

    cc wrote:
    > you have a gym close by...

    <snip gym rat jive>

    One of the funniest things on the trail is a gym rat with no bicycle
    handling skills. Pretty muscles combined with little or no
    coordination sure makes for some stylish posing. There are a crapload
    of gym rat wannabes out here in SoCal and it just kills them when
    joeshittheragman passes them on a rigid singlespeed like they were
    standing still. The huffing and puffing of them trying to keep up
    sometimes ends with an audible biff, or just fades quickly.

    JD

  17. czb

    czb Guest

    Coyoteboy:

    If you are doing 18 plus miles 2x a day, and have in that some decent
    hills - even if they are not perfect in length or grade - you have a
    lot already. TM's reply to dial it back very sound. Do you have a
    heart rate monitor? If so then be patient, ride your 2x daily commute
    at 65 percent of max HR 5x week, take one long ride on the weekend
    still at a 65-70% max HR, and take a day off. This will build you an
    incredible base in no time.

    Then, after some period of time - it will depend on where you are
    fitness-wise - you can do the stuff you really wanna do - which is to
    work harder.

    But none of this will make you a better mountain biker, which means
    time on the bike on the trails, which I am ssure you know.

  18. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Fitness is simple. It's so easy to over-complicate it. If, as things
    turn out, you have a medical condition, then it quickly becomes
    complicated. (It's also complicated to get the absolute maximum out of
    your body, but who does that?)

    Anything new you do will feel hard and kick your ass. "New" applies to
    activity, duration and/or intensity.

    Do the same thing more, and your body responds by getting stronger.

    Failing to recover adequately between exercise sessions will hold you
    back, and can easily result in one of a variety of overtraining syndromes.

    I suggest: ride both ways to avoid the annoying car/bike interfacing.
    Ride slow and easy when you feel tired, hard when you feel strong. If
    tiredness lasts for more than a week, then you're either sick,
    overtrained, or not recovering enough between rides. (The last two are
    usually synonymous.)

    Oh, and eat & hydrate properly.

    This mtb-on-road riding WILL make you a stronger rider, so don't let any
    purists rain on your parade. It won't make you a better mtb rider, however.

    Conservative dictionary:
    Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

  19. Coyoteboy

    Coyoteboy Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > Over training can kill you. Once you have finished burning the fat, you
    > start burning muscle.

    Got enough fat on me and freely available in my diet to not burn it all
    im sure - im all for eating a mixture of everything, fat included so i
    doubt id reach a point, even during intense prolonged activity, that id
    be burnign all my fat supplies?

    > You should talk with your doctor or find a well certified personal
    > trainer to give you an optimal training schedule.

    My doc said im all fit to do whatever i fancy (after recent family
    heart scare), and the more i do the better :) No easy access to
    certified personal trainers, but glancing around the training schedules
    and suggestions on the net im far from over-training - 36 miles a day
    twice a week is nothing for a fit youngun like me :D Used to do 20
    miles a day every day, and badminton for 2 hours 3 times a week, and a
    weekend of riding in the mountains. I'd consider what im doing very
    limited but I have lost a lot of fitness since back then.

    > day, with short yet fast road rides during the week. I am a picky eater
    > as well and wasn't taking in enough calories or protien.

    Ohh, im far from a picky eater lol, if its edible i'll eat it, im well
    known for eating two people's worth of anything (and hated for still
    having a low body fat percentage lol) - when riding to work and back i
    naturally consume about 2500 cals a day extra just from hunger, in any
    form i can find it - carbs, protiens and fats - i just have two lunches
    - one at 11 and one at 3.

    I think I'm going to keep doing one direction more often (building up
    to every week day), monitoring my heart rates and other indicators to
    make sure i dont start over-doing it. I think pushing harder in one
    direction is going to help more to increase fitness, so then i can move
    onto both directions less times a week - mon/wed/fri maybe.

    Ta for everyones additions!

  20. Coyoteboy

    Coyoteboy Guest

    czb wrote:
    > Coyoteboy:
    >
    > If you are doing 18 plus miles 2x a day, and have in that some decent
    > hills - even if they are not perfect in length or grade - you have a
    > lot already. TM's reply to dial it back very sound. Do you have a
    > heart rate monitor?

    Decided to dial it back even further for a while - save killing myself
    and having to recover for longer. I have a HRM but averaging about
    18mph over the 18 miles i dont really get it up to 65% now.

    > But none of this will make you a better mountain biker, which means
    > time on the bike on the trails, which I am ssure you know.

    True, very true - im only doing it to build a fitness base to allow me
    to spend more time riding on the trails instead of having to keep
    stopping every few miles for a breather!