Best travel case ?

Lou D'Amelio

Guest
Hi - what travel cases do you guys prefer and why ? Heading to 'cross
nationals to secure my place in cycling history with a 123rd place
finish and looking for a travel case. Convenience my top priority -
I'd prefer one where you can just remove wheels and not have to half
rebuild bike. For this trip I'll probably ship bike to KC, but in the
future I'll also be using this case to fly to the occasional Grand
Tour pilgrimage, etc. Thanks for your input.

Lou D'Amelio

On Nov 3, 7:26 am, Lou D'Amelio <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi - what travel cases do you guys prefer and why ? Heading to 'cross
> nationals to secure my place in cycling history with a 123rd place
> finish and looking for a travel case. Convenience my top priority -
> I'd prefer one where you can just remove wheels and not have to half
> rebuild bike. For this trip I'll probably ship bike to KC, but in the
> future I'll also be using this case to fly to the occasional Grand
> Tour pilgrimage, etc. Thanks for your input.
>
> Lou D'Amelio

I have the Serfas Bike Armor case. You do have to remove the bars,
seatpost, and pedals, as well as the wheels. There is enough room in
the case for a floor pump, helmet, shoes, spare tires, etc. I like
this case because it locks with four heavy-duty metal latches instead
of cumbersome straps, has built-in wheels, and a pull strap. I bought
it on ebay a couple of years ago for about $220 new. It may have gone
up in price since then.

Mike Krueger <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 7:26 am, Lou D'Amelio <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi - what travel cases do you guys prefer and why ? Heading to 'cross
> > nationals to secure my place in cycling history with a 123rd place
> > finish and looking for a travel case. Convenience my top priority -
> > I'd prefer one where you can just remove wheels and not have to half
> > rebuild bike. For this trip I'll probably ship bike to KC, but in the
> > future I'll also be using this case to fly to the occasional Grand
> > Tour pilgrimage, etc. Thanks for your input.
> >
> > Lou D'Amelio

> I have the Serfas Bike Armor case. You do have to remove the bars,
> seatpost, and pedals, as well as the wheels. There is enough room in
> the case for a floor pump, helmet, shoes, spare tires, etc. I like
> this case because it locks with four heavy-duty metal latches instead
> of cumbersome straps, has built-in wheels, and a pull strap. I bought
> it on ebay a couple of years ago for about $220 new. It may have gone
> up in price since then.

Have a look at the Roof Box Bike Safe Bike Case:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300002583&N
=Roof%20Box%20Bike%20Safe%20Bike%20Case

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?query=BH96002

All you have to do it take off the wheels. A friend has one and uses it
regularly to fly to Europe from the UK. Not cheap though.

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 04:26:55 -0700, Lou D'Amelio
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi - what travel cases do you guys prefer and why ? Heading to 'cross
>nationals to secure my place in cycling history with a 123rd place
>finish and looking for a travel case. Convenience my top priority -
>I'd prefer one where you can just remove wheels and not have to half
>rebuild bike. For this trip I'll probably ship bike to KC, but in the
>future I'll also be using this case to fly to the occasional Grand
>Tour pilgrimage, etc. Thanks for your input.
>
>Lou D'Amelio

http://www.bikemania.biz/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=TriAll3Sports_Velo_II
Those are nice because they have 4 wheels. Pulling a 4 wheeled box
through an airport is easier than the box I got from Performance that
has only two wheels. By the time you are toting your gear bag and
maybe some clothes you curse the two wheeled box. Performance now has
a bit better box.
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23864&estore_ID=1416

I have also used a soft case but then I had to carry all the weight of
the bag and bike.

If you use small airports almost any bike box is ok. Atlanta and
Denver airports make you regret any heavy luggage. Akron Canton is a
great airport though. I have no idea how big the KC airport is but I
will find out Dec 13. Only 114 in the masters 45-49 class.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi - what travel cases do you guys prefer and why ? Heading to 'cross
>nationals to secure my place in cycling history with a 123rd place
>finish and looking for a travel case. Convenience my top priority -
>I'd prefer one where you can just remove wheels and not have to half
>rebuild bike. For this trip I'll probably ship bike to KC, but in the
>future I'll also be using this case to fly to the occasional Grand
>Tour pilgrimage, etc. Thanks for your input.
>
>Lou D'Amelio

http://www.bikemania.biz/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=TriAll3Sports_Velo_II
Those are nice because they have 4 wheels. Pulling a 4 wheeled box
through an airport is easier than the box I got from Performance that
has only two wheels. By the time you are toting your gear bag and
maybe some clothes you curse the two wheeled box. Performance now has
a bit better box.
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23864&estore_ID=1416

I have also used a soft case but then I had to carry all the weight of
the bag and bike.

If you use small airports almost any bike box is ok. Atlanta and
Denver airports make you regret any heavy luggage. Akron Canton is a
great airport though. I have no idea how big the KC airport is but I
will find out Dec 13. Only 114 in the masters 45-49 class.

Thanks for all the replies. I went for the B&W listed by the first
responder - don't have to disassemble anything and it looks sturdy.
After some fruitless e-baying, etc. I figured out that this is the
same one sold by Performance and Nashbar as 'Pro Bike Case' - scored
it on sale plus coupon for $269 if anyone out there is also looking
currently. BTW, the way I'm riding this week, 123rd in a field of 114
is possible !

Lou D'Amelio

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 04:00:36 -0800, Lou D'Amelio
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for all the replies. I went for the B&W listed by the first
>responder - don't have to disassemble anything and it looks sturdy.
>After some fruitless e-baying, etc. I figured out that this is the
>same one sold by Performance and Nashbar as 'Pro Bike Case' - scored
>it on sale plus coupon for $269 if anyone out there is also looking
>currently. BTW, the way I'm riding this week, 123rd in a field of 114
>is possible !
>
>Lou D'Amelio

What class will you be in and in what kit? Someone may chear you on if
you are recognizable. I will be there yelling at anyone I know on
Saturday. My race is Fiday.