Best tubular tires/tyres for racing?

Uhl

May 12, 2003
I'm looking for the best all-around tubular tires for road races. I weigh 160lbs, mainly race road races and live in a dry climate.

I've been using Continental Sprinter 250's for the last few years, but I don't like how their base tape peels away from the casing after a year or two. Since I only race my tubular wheels for A-priority events, the tread typically last longer than that.

What should I get?

Our team used to run Tufos (before we got sponsored by Vittoria). I'm not sure exactly which model it was, but I know it was a very flat-resistant tire. I believe our team only got a couple flats all year. I'll see if I can get the model of the ones we used.

Uhl said:
I'm looking for the best all-around tubular tires for road races. I weigh 160lbs, mainly race road races and live in a dry climate.

I've been using Continental Sprinter 250's for the last few years, but I don't like how their base tape peels away from the casing after a year or two. Since I only race my tubular wheels for A-priority events, the tread typically last longer than that.

What should I get?
I can't promise that this will end your quest, but a good tire (but, which I can't compare with the others since I haven't used them), is the HUTCHINSON ORO/SERVIZIO CORSE -- I grabbed one that I have which wasn't mounted, yet, and it appears to weigh 261g ... and, is nicely made.

Fastest tyres seem to be from Dedatre, Veloflex, Michelin, Vittoria. Michelin and Vittoria are more common and probably cheaper, although it depends where you live.

Oh, and from everything I've seen Continentals are slow.

-bikeguy

To the OP, Vittoria EVO Corsa CX.

To everyone else, the OP didn't ask about clinchers, did he? See, the OP might know what class of tire he wants better than y'all. Hutchinson and Michelin don't make tubulars. You might want to go to Sheldon's site or Google to find the differences in construction between tubulars and clinchers.

alienator said:
Thanks Alienator, that's the one I am leaning towards (I didn't mention it because I wanted it to be an open-ended query).

Though I do have a reservation: Not that it's a great source, but on RoadBikeReview.com a couple people said the Corsa CX's aren't as good as they used to be when they were made in Italy (quality issues):
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/tires-tubular/vittoria/PRD_292083_5681crx.aspx

It might just be a case of a bad batch, but I am curious if anyone here had similar issues?

The other tire I'm considering is the Veloflex Carbon.

alienator said:

To everyone else, the OP didn't ask about clinchers, did he? See, the OP might know what class of tire he wants better than y'all. Hutchinson and Michelin don't make tubulars. You might want to go to Sheldon's site or Google to find the differences in construction between tubulars and clinchers.
I can't speak for Michelin, but here's a pic [see attachment] of a Hutchinson tubular ...

AND, my recollection is that the US Postal team (perhaps you've heard of them) used Hutchinson tubular tires for at least one season while racing in Europe. Who knows, maybe the Discovery team still does!

alfeng said:
I can't speak for Michelin, but here's a pic [see attachment] of a Hutchinson tubular ...

AND, my recollection is that the US Postal team (perhaps you've heard of them) used Hutchinson tubular tires for at least one season while racing in Europe. Who knows, maybe the Discovery team still does!

Yeah, I've never ridden them but here is a link to their current tub selection:
http://tires.hutchinson.fr/uk/velo/route.php?nom=BOYAUX

Uhl said:
Thanks Alienator, that's the one I am leaning towards (I didn't mention it because I wanted it to be an open-ended query).

Though I do have a reservation: Not that it's a great source, but on RoadBikeReview.com a couple people said the Corsa CX's aren't as good as they used to be when they were made in Italy (quality issues):
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/tires-tubular/vittoria/PRD_292083_5681crx.aspx

It might just be a case of a bad batch, but I am curious if anyone here had similar issues?

The other tire I'm considering is the Veloflex Carbon.

I've not had any issues with Corsa CX's. They've all been round, no lumps, or any funny business. They've got better puncture resistance thn the Veloflexes, but the Vittoria rolling resistance is a bit higher. You makes your choices.

alienator said:
Nothing on the link. It doesn't work. And the "Hutchinson" tubs are rebadged tubs from someone else. Go to Weight Weenies and ask.

Hmm. Link worked fine for me. Server's a bit slow, but otherwise... :confused:

I like (alongside the Tufo brand), the Challenge range.

They come out of the same Italian pedigree as Vittoria, Veloflex and others and, I can tell you that they feel fast...

See a few of them here

I note that the Corsa Cx's tyre wall thickness across the tread plane is quite thin, when compared with GP4000's. No wonder they don't last as long from a mileage point of view.