Best type pedals for adventure racing

Defier

May 26, 2016
Greetings to all,
I looking for good advice on pedals, I want quick and easy access losing the minimum amount of pedal efficiency. I used the bike shoes last year but with this type of racing I have to bring my trail runners with me as I do not return to same transition each time, so I had been mounting the trail runners on bottle holders mounted behind the saddle. These shoe changes are too time consuming and I also lose the spot to mount my saddle bag with puncture repair kit (which is often needed).
I have started using basket type this year but they are difficult to get into quickly due to my wide feet and the trail runners are not as smooth on the soles as normal runners are. I have been looking at "Power Straps" but they are getting very bad reviews on forums.
The cycling on these races is 90% on asphalt roads, 5% rough roads and 5% running with bike on shoulder.
Id really appreciate any advice on this.
Thanks.

Maybe one of the SPD clipless touring shoes that are designed for walking?

http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-mt34-...East&utm_term=1100700471217&utm_content=Shoes

I have no clue how much trail bite you need or over what distance/time you'll be running in them so shop around if this interests you. There are lots of multi-purpose SPD shoes out there.

They can be paired with a double-sided SPD clipless pedal for fast entry or used with a combination one side flat pedal/one side SPD clipless model pedal.

I've seen a lot of different pedals used in cross riding so there is no best, just whatever you like. The ones I like are the Speedplay Frogs, it's used on cross and mountain bike riding. You can then buy cross or mountain bike shoes that are 2 hole SPD compatible, which most of that breed of shoes are. Dirt and mud cannot foul up the pedal and prevent you from clipping in. The pedal is double sided so you don't have to fuddle around with what side the pedal is showing, the foot/shoe just glides straight in and the pedal locks on.

These pedals do not have a spring, which I like because the spring can foul up with crud and there is no spring to break. It's a very simple design pedal that seems to last a very long time, and the user can easily relube the bearings with a special grease gun, and it can easily be rebuilt should that be needed. I love simplicity because simplicity means less to go wrong, and the Frog excels in that department.

I'm not saying the Speedplay Frog is the best pedal, there are dozens of cross and MTB pedals on the market and I couldn't buy them all to test, but I'm very happy with my decision to buy these, I was so happy with them I bought a second set for my road bike...yes, a mtb pedal on a road bike, but I sometimes like to ride to another town and get off and walk which I can do with that pedal and the right shoes; the first set was bought for a touring bike. You can read reviews on the internet and decide for yourself. The Frog doesn't get a lot of attention because it didn't have the marketing like the bigger brands do.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.frog

They can be paired with a double-sided SPD clipless pedal for fast entry or used with a combination one side flat pedal/one side SPD clipless model pedal.
How can they be paired?

Honestly, some designs of Speedplay Frog are quite appealing but I really haven't used them so perhaps someone else will have better input on this.

Honestly, some designs of Speedplay Frog are quite appealing but I really haven't used them so perhaps someone else will have better input on this.

I've used them and I like them, they're easy to get in and out of and for a first time user of clipless pedals there was no learning curve once I did it by hand one time. They allow me to use a shoe I can walk in once I get someplace and chose to walk around a bit. They are a full float pedal which some people don't like but I don't mind, initially for about the first 3 months it feels as if your squirming on the pedal but once the smaller foot muscles strengthen that feeling goes away unless you stop riding the bike for few months then it comes back again for about a month. There easy to keep lube without taking anything apart, and they have a rebuild kit should that ever be necessary. They're light weight, give you more turn lean angle then other pedals. I got the stainless steel spindle version for rust protection over the cromoly steel, they do offer titanium but for the cost and what little weight you save over the stainless I couldn't see the point. I've used them now for 3 full seasons and bought another set for another bike, so yes I guess you could say i like them. They may not be for everyone but they work for me and do what I want a pedal to do.