Best Tyres for Cyclocross Commuter

solemnd

Mar 21, 2011
Just got my wife a Merida Cyclocross 4 Disc from the LBS for her daily commute (she's been on a rigid mountain bike for a long time), and want to get her some good tyres for it.

The bike comes with Maxxis Raze 35 Kevlar that aren't really suited to the kind of riding she'll be doing.

Her commute is mainly on road, but also bike paths, and the odd driveway, broken glass etc.

She's 67kg, and will be carrying a fair bit in her pannier most days.

I've been looking at the Schwalbe Marathon 32 for the front, and the Marathon 38 plus for the back, for more protection and a softer ride where you need it.

From what I've read at http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html having different tyres on front and back isn't an issue, even if it is uncommon...

Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.

38mm seems a bit OTT for a bike which will be ridden mostly on roads. If it's going to be ridden only on pavement then any sort of road tyres will do.

I agree, your wife doesn't weigh a whole lot and even with a heavily loaded pannier she isn't going to be over 200lbs on that bike, however, if you know for certain that she will be hitting some dirt trails with it, I'd look for some type of 32c tires. FWIW, I have some 700x37c tires on my commuter, they are vredestein dynamic tour tires they aren't knobby but they handle dirt paths great because of their size. Those maxxis tires seem like they would work great. if she is really going to only be on pavement and flat avoidance is paramount, continental gatorskins come as large as a 32c. I hve 25cs on my road bike (i'm 245lbs) and I love the ride.