Best tyres to use with 2x16" trailer? Tips?

Cycle Maniac

Jan 5, 2006
Hey people,

For coming cycle vacations i'm planning to buy this bike trailer with 2x16" wheels; the Radical Cyclone. Goals are also countries outside Europe; countries with non asphalt roads. So an good anti-flat protection (*) is important to me.

Any tips for tire's?

Greetz from Holland, Marco

(*) Kevlar-tire for example.

cyclone.jpg

16", these are hard to find. :rolleyes: Could you rebuild the wheels with 20", all the good Recumbent tyres are then available, Kevlar, bullet proof, etc... :cool:

gclark8 said:
16", these are hard to find. :rolleyes: Could you rebuild the wheels with 20", all the good Recumbent tyres are then available, Kevlar, bullet proof, etc... :cool:

Why would you need to tow a trailler? Are you planning to carry a few pairs of jeans, some beach chairs and the kitchen sink? We manage fine when touring with all our gear in panniers on a tandem.
Try cutting down on what you take.
Have a look in the touring section for what to pack.

Cheers

Geoff

On my latest cycle-vacation, this summer, i broke the carcass of my bike: The horizontal tube broke next at the front (at the steering wheel). And yes, i loaded my bike a little bit too much: 25 - 30 kg. Also i was not using the right rear rack.

Also because my steering wheel was shaking with starting up, i think it's better idea to put the luggage at an trailer.
Advantage of the Racical Cyclone is, when moving the wheels to behind, it changes into an trolley. Handy when you have to do some shopping at the supermarket.

cyclone_wandelkar.jpg

Cycle Maniac said:
On my latest cycle-vacation, this summer, i broke the carcass of my bike: The horizontal tube broke next at the front (at the steering wheel). And yes, i loaded my bike a little bit too much: 25 - 30 kg. Also i was not using the right rear rack.

Also because my steering wheel was shaking with starting up, i think it's better idea to put the luggage at an trailer.
Advantage of the Racical Cyclone is, when moving the wheels to behind, it changes into an trolley. Handy when you have to do some shopping at the supermarket.

cyclone_wandelkar.jpg

It's a very expensive shopping trolley.
After the first long tour that I did (6months around Europe) on my budget touring bike, the only parts on my bike that survived were the handlebars, stem and the cranks. All of the bearing were worn out, I had broken the pannier rack and the wheels were about to die.
If you are going offroad you would be better off with a single wheeled trailer.
25-30kgs for one person is an incredible amount of stuff to carry.
When we are credit card touring and are staying in youth hostels and B&B's we carry 14kgs when we are camping and cooking as well the weight goes up to 25kgs. This is for 2 people.
Here's a couple of packing lists
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=343450

Cheers

Geoff

So your bike did some hard working for you...
But the positive thing is, this is the moment to start whit something new.

But i'm not ready with my decision. Like gclark8 tips, i have to find out if this trailer can also be prepared with 20" wheels.
Although i'm also considering Arkel Overdesigns panniers. Must be the summum of organizing luggage. I'll see.

Thanks so far for the answers.

Greetz, Marco

For this type of touring look for the more common tyre wheel sizes, 26" (559), 20" (406) There are lots of really good Kevlar touring (Contact) tyres in the Conti Book.

Avoid less popular sizes, 16", 24", 650C, 27", 28".

I will suggest avoiding 700c wheels for the bike as 26" (559) 36 spoke 135mm (MTB) wheels are very common and stronger. If you can have the same hubs on both the bike and trailer this means less spares to carry.