best under $1000

mr handy

Jun 4, 2006
ok i have been doing my homework and have ridden a few bikes. now i am trying to get the best bike i can with the money i have to spend ($900 max +accessories) i have been liiking at the specialized allez sport and a couple others. but the allez felt really good. the bike shop guy was pushing me to lookinto the allez elite even though he knew it was outside my budget. and i have compaired the two bikes and cant see a huge difference.

i have also thought about doing a triathlon in the future so i would like a bike that will be able to handle this type of riding.

if anyone has any suggestions on bikes for me to look at please post um up.
links would be great too, if they are available online..... i have somone with knowledge in wrenching so im not to worried about getting it tuned up when i get it, if i get somthing on line. i just want to get the best bike i can with my money.
thanks
andy

The Giant OCRs are usually a pretty good deal. I had an OCR2 a few years back, and it was a good solid bike - and the new models look pretty sweet.

I have heard a lot of good stuff about Felt as well. Orbea seem to have some good deals in your price range.

what level components are you looking at Tiagra, 105? 105 is good quality stuff.

Is that $1000 US, if so you'll get even a better deal than what I'm talking about, I'm talking in Aussie $ (which isn't worth much).

yea thats in us$ im hoping to find 105 but most everything has tiagra

where are you seeing orbea for a grand. i looked and everything is $1300 to $1500 min.??

mr handy said:
yea thats in us$ im hoping to find 105 but most everything has tiagra

where are you seeing orbea for a grand. i looked and everything is $1300 to $1500 min.??
The Orbeas were in Australia - but the $1000 (aussie) was for the entry level Enol (Sora), then the Aspin (Tiagra) at around 1300, and then the Gavia (105) at around 1800 I think.

I don't know what they stock in the US though, I know the UK has some models we don't see down here.

Good luck with your searching.

The Allez has Sora components,the Allez Sport has Tiagra, and the Allez Elite has 105. I would pay the extra for the 105. There are other minor differences among the three models, and in this case, you get what you pay for.

Other bikes in your price range to consider are the Trek 1200 (although the 1500 at $1100 has better components) and the Felt F80. The Felt has the best components for the money, but the frame geometry is different. The most important thing is to find a bike that fits you. Everything else is secondary to a good fit.