Best University for a cyclist

Nick Burns

Guest
What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider roads available to train and a
strong well populated racing team either affiliated with the school or nearby, where would you
choose to go and why?

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:O%[email protected]...
> What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
roads
> available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
affiliated
> with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?

No offense, but shouldn't you be more worried about the quality of education offerred?? It ain't
cheap down there..

Cheers,

Scott..

in colorado, CU-Boulder or Colorado College in the Springs might fit your needs

John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com "S. Anderson" <[email protected]>
> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:O%[email protected]...
> > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
> roads
> > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
> affiliated
> > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?
> >

> No offense, but shouldn't you be more worried about the quality of
education
> offerred?? It ain't cheap down there..
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott..

There's a lot of good choices in the east: UVM, UNH, Penn State, Princeton, Dartmouth, to name a
few. Check out http://www.eccc-info.com for all of the eastern collegiate schools.

Alan

Nick Burns wrote:
> What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider roads available to train and
> a strong well populated racing team either affiliated with the school or nearby, where would you
> choose to go and why?

Cal Bezekely, Cal-Davis, Stanford.....UCLA...Santa Barbara......etc..... many schools... "Alan
Atwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> There's a lot of good choices in the east: UVM, UNH, Penn State, Princeton, Dartmouth, to name a
> few. Check out http://www.eccc-info.com for all of the eastern collegiate schools.
>
> Alan
>
> Nick Burns wrote:
> > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
roads
> > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
affiliated
> > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?

Oh man ... big calculus test tomorrow, really gotta study ... but OH MAN, sure is a nice day for a
ride .....

Been there !

jw milwaukee

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:O%[email protected]...
> What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
roads
> available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
affiliated
> with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?

Have you considered Michigan? Perhaps their cycling team has an affirmative action program
for Freds.

After the liberation of our country he might consider the University of Gent.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:O%[email protected]...
> > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
> roads
> > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
> affiliated
> > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?
>
> Have you considered Michigan? Perhaps their cycling team has an
affirmative
> action program for Freds.

Very good, I liked that one..... Maybe they will get some one legged riders
in........don't you just love it.

Nick Burns wrote:
> What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider roads available to train and
> a strong well populated racing team either affiliated with the school or nearby, where would you
> choose to go and why?

Forget the USA, Canadian universities have a higher standard of education. Come to McMaster
University in Hamilton, Ontario. Excellent training area and several nearby teams (Neworld
(http://www.neworldcycle.com/) comes immediately to mind-- Gears racing
(http://www.gearsracing.com/html/index.php) is also not too far away).

What makes you think cycling is the only consideration?

"S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:O%[email protected]...
> > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
> roads
> > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
> affiliated
> > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?
> >

> No offense, but shouldn't you be more worried about the quality of
education
> offerred?? It ain't cheap down there..
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott..

> > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:O%[email protected]...
> > > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
> roads
> > > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
> affiliated
> > > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?

Marian College in Indianapolis and Midwestern State University in Texass offer scholarships. Marian
(where I went) is across the street from the Track, but is in Indy which is pretty miserable in the
winter (i.e.- Novemberrr to April), Texas is good in the winter, but miserable the rest of the year
and the school is in the absolute middle of nowhere; think 12 hour drive to most races. That's all I
have to say about that. Ryan Barrett

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<O%[email protected]>...
> What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider roads available to train and
> a strong well populated racing team either affiliated with the school or nearby, where would you
> choose to go and why?

Midwestern State University offers cycling scholorships. Located in Texas (don't know why they
callit midwestern though)

Robert Chung wrote:
> Have you considered Michigan? Perhaps their cycling team has an affirmative action program
> for Freds.

What about fat masters ? If I do my Ph.D I might even qualify if I go on a doughnut binge for a
month or so.

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Robert Chung wrote:
> > Have you considered Michigan? Perhaps their cycling team has an
affirmative
> > action program for Freds.
>
> What about fat masters ?

Awarding prize money to masters races is basically a form of affirmative action. So is awarding
money to Cat 3/4/5's.

"Ryan Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:O%[email protected]...
> > roads
> > affiliated
> > >
> Marian College in Indianapolis and Midwestern State University in Texass offer scholarships.
> Marian (where I went) is across the street from the Track, but is in Indy which is pretty
> miserable in the winter (i.e.- Novemberrr to April), Texas is good in the winter, but miserable
> the rest
of
> the year and the school is in the absolute middle of nowhere; think 12
hour
> drive to most races.

The problem with Marian is they take things too seriously.

When collegiate track nationals were held in SD, I wrote up a little preview of the event for UCSD
(the host). It explained each event and listed the "contenders" and "pretenders" for each event with
some rips on everyone.

Air Force Academy got ripped on the most since they had some of the least competitive times from the
year before. Marian was very offended and threw (metaphorically) me out of their section of the
infield when I went to interview them (they were ****** that I was disrespecting AFA).

Air Force Academy, OTOH, thought it was funny. They got a bunch of copies and hung them up in the
"bike room" back at the Academy. We drank a lot of beer with them (and with U of Washington,
perpetrators of the Naked Match Sprint).

I second Dartmouth.

Regards, Lester

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:O%[email protected]...
> What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
roads
> available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
affiliated
> with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?

I think its great that Midwestern State awards scholarships for cycling. Even so, I've never
considered Wichita Falls, Tx to be a hotbed of activity in the sport (yes, I know about the HHH, one
race that isn't a race anymore doesn't qualify a community as a hotbed). I will bet that racing in
Wichita Falls means a lot of driving, Texas is a big state with a lot of empty space.

If cycling is really a priority in choosing a school, I'd look for colleges in places with a densely
packed racing schedule in climates that allow year round training. There are any number of schools
in California that qualify, and probably lots more on the west coast, Colorado, and northeast. All
depending on how you define 'densely packed' and 'allow year round training'. I would consider
densely packed to mean there are midweek training races and action on weekends without driving more
than an hour or two.

And I don't think I'd pay any attention at all to the collegiate racing scene because with a few
exceptions collegiate racing is a joke. There are a lots of schools with teams but most don't have
any program, they are just the people at the school that are already racing anyway.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]