Best University for a cyclist

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Nick Burns, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider roads available to train and a
    strong well populated racing team either affiliated with the school or nearby, where would you
    choose to go and why?

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:O%[email protected]...
    > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
    roads
    > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
    affiliated
    > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?

    No offense, but shouldn't you be more worried about the quality of education offerred?? It ain't
    cheap down there..

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. Xzzy

    Xzzy Guest

    in colorado, CU-Boulder or Colorado College in the Springs might fit your needs

    John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com "S. Anderson" <[email protected]>
    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:O%[email protected]...
    > > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
    > roads
    > > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
    > affiliated
    > > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?
    > >

    > No offense, but shouldn't you be more worried about the quality of
    education
    > offerred?? It ain't cheap down there..
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Scott..

  4. Alan Atwood

    Alan Atwood Guest

    There's a lot of good choices in the east: UVM, UNH, Penn State, Princeton, Dartmouth, to name a
    few. Check out http://www.eccc-info.com for all of the eastern collegiate schools.

    Alan

    Nick Burns wrote:
    > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider roads available to train and
    > a strong well populated racing team either affiliated with the school or nearby, where would you
    > choose to go and why?

  5. Cal Bezekely, Cal-Davis, Stanford.....UCLA...Santa Barbara......etc..... many schools... "Alan
    Atwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > There's a lot of good choices in the east: UVM, UNH, Penn State, Princeton, Dartmouth, to name a
    > few. Check out http://www.eccc-info.com for all of the eastern collegiate schools.
    >
    > Alan
    >
    > Nick Burns wrote:
    > > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
    roads
    > > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
    affiliated
    > > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?

  6. J999w

    J999w Guest

    Oh man ... big calculus test tomorrow, really gotta study ... but OH MAN, sure is a nice day for a
    ride .....

    Been there !

    jw milwaukee

  7. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:O%[email protected]...
    > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
    roads
    > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
    affiliated
    > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?

    Have you considered Michigan? Perhaps their cycling team has an affirmative action program
    for Freds.

  8. After the liberation of our country he might consider the University of Gent.

  9. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:O%[email protected]...
    > > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
    > roads
    > > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
    > affiliated
    > > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?
    >
    > Have you considered Michigan? Perhaps their cycling team has an
    affirmative
    > action program for Freds.

    Very good, I liked that one..... Maybe they will get some one legged riders
    in........don't you just love it.

  10. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Nick Burns wrote:
    > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider roads available to train and
    > a strong well populated racing team either affiliated with the school or nearby, where would you
    > choose to go and why?

    Forget the USA, Canadian universities have a higher standard of education. Come to McMaster
    University in Hamilton, Ontario. Excellent training area and several nearby teams (Neworld
    (http://www.neworldcycle.com/) comes immediately to mind-- Gears racing
    (http://www.gearsracing.com/html/index.php) is also not too far away).

  11. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  12. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    What makes you think cycling is the only consideration?

    "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:O%[email protected]...
    > > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
    > roads
    > > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
    > affiliated
    > > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?
    > >

    > No offense, but shouldn't you be more worried about the quality of
    education
    > offerred?? It ain't cheap down there..
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Scott..

  13. Ryan Barrett

    Ryan Barrett Guest

    > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:O%[email protected]...
    > > > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
    > roads
    > > > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
    > affiliated
    > > > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?

    Marian College in Indianapolis and Midwestern State University in Texass offer scholarships. Marian
    (where I went) is across the street from the Track, but is in Indy which is pretty miserable in the
    winter (i.e.- Novemberrr to April), Texas is good in the winter, but miserable the rest of the year
    and the school is in the absolute middle of nowhere; think 12 hour drive to most races. That's all I
    have to say about that. Ryan Barrett

  14. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<O%[email protected]>...
    > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider roads available to train and
    > a strong well populated racing team either affiliated with the school or nearby, where would you
    > choose to go and why?

    Midwestern State University offers cycling scholorships. Located in Texas (don't know why they
    callit midwestern though)

  15. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:
    > Have you considered Michigan? Perhaps their cycling team has an affirmative action program
    > for Freds.

    What about fat masters ? If I do my Ph.D I might even qualify if I go on a doughnut binge for a
    month or so.

  16. "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Robert Chung wrote:
    > > Have you considered Michigan? Perhaps their cycling team has an
    affirmative
    > > action program for Freds.
    >
    > What about fat masters ?

    Awarding prize money to masters races is basically a form of affirmative action. So is awarding
    money to Cat 3/4/5's.

  17. "Ryan Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:O%[email protected]...
    > > roads
    > > affiliated
    > > >
    > Marian College in Indianapolis and Midwestern State University in Texass offer scholarships.
    > Marian (where I went) is across the street from the Track, but is in Indy which is pretty
    > miserable in the winter (i.e.- Novemberrr to April), Texas is good in the winter, but miserable
    > the rest
    of
    > the year and the school is in the absolute middle of nowhere; think 12
    hour
    > drive to most races.

    The problem with Marian is they take things too seriously.

    When collegiate track nationals were held in SD, I wrote up a little preview of the event for UCSD
    (the host). It explained each event and listed the "contenders" and "pretenders" for each event with
    some rips on everyone.

    Air Force Academy got ripped on the most since they had some of the least competitive times from the
    year before. Marian was very offended and threw (metaphorically) me out of their section of the
    infield when I went to interview them (they were pissed that I was disrespecting AFA).

    Air Force Academy, OTOH, thought it was funny. They got a bunch of copies and hung them up in the
    "bike room" back at the Academy. We drank a lot of beer with them (and with U of Washington,
    perpetrators of the Naked Match Sprint).

  18. Lester Long

    Lester Long Guest

    I second Dartmouth.

    Regards, Lester

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:O%[email protected]...
    > What is the best University in the USA for a cyclist? If you consider
    roads
    > available to train and a strong well populated racing team either
    affiliated
    > with the school or nearby, where would you choose to go and why?

  19. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    I think its great that Midwestern State awards scholarships for cycling. Even so, I've never
    considered Wichita Falls, Tx to be a hotbed of activity in the sport (yes, I know about the HHH, one
    race that isn't a race anymore doesn't qualify a community as a hotbed). I will bet that racing in
    Wichita Falls means a lot of driving, Texas is a big state with a lot of empty space.

    If cycling is really a priority in choosing a school, I'd look for colleges in places with a densely
    packed racing schedule in climates that allow year round training. There are any number of schools
    in California that qualify, and probably lots more on the west coast, Colorado, and northeast. All
    depending on how you define 'densely packed' and 'allow year round training'. I would consider
    densely packed to mean there are midweek training races and action on weekends without driving more
    than an hour or two.

    And I don't think I'd pay any attention at all to the collegiate racing scene because with a few
    exceptions collegiate racing is a joke. There are a lots of schools with teams but most don't have
    any program, they are just the people at the school that are already racing anyway.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]