Best upgrade for speed?

Spletzer1

Mar 30, 2010
I'm a new rider (July of 09) and I have a starter bike; 2009 Giant Defy 3. I've really fallen in love with the sport and I'm doing about 100 miles a week as time/weather allows. I'm going to ride a couple of time trials this summer for no other reason than I need to have a goal. And if I'm going to ride, I'm going to to try and win...well, at least I'm going to try and win the Eddie Merckx class: no aero bars and metal spokes on the same size wheel. The winning times usually average 24 mph over 12 miles of relatively flat pavement.

Keeping the above in mind; what is the one upgrade I can make to my stock bike to gain the most speed? (I already have clipless pedals.) Please keep recomendations under $250. I"m 6'3 and 210 pounds. I currently average about 18 mph on an average 25 mile ride. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I think you should probably wait until you get your next bike. Assuming that you have all the basic road-biking equipment the next step would be wheels. However, with an entry-level bike like yours I wouldn't recommend it as it probably won't make much of a difference, and compatibility issues with your 8-speed drivetrain will cause some problems as most of the high-end stuff comes in 10-speed. Since you've been riding only a few months I think it's still too early for you to decide on an upgrade. Once you have an acceptable entry-level bike, MOST of the gains in performance will come from your own athletic improvement.

With wheels the differences are only noticeable at high speeds. $2000 aero wheels might push your speed from 26 mph to 26.5 mph, but ONLY if you're going that fast. At slower speeds the gains are negligible.

The thing about upgrading an entry level bike is that after so and so many upgrades you'll notice that the money you spent could have gone towards a new bike.

Get some nice tyres instead of wheels. Cheaper and in a lot of cases faster than buying any old fancy wheel.

I personally think that a good wheelset is more than worth the money and its something that you can keep. I picked up a set of ROL race Sl's and they are so smooth its nutts. I has a set of Spinergy Stealth PBO Carbons. They were def fast but took forever to accelerate. Get a nice set of wheels and build from there. They will make you a little faster (hopefully) and that will fuel ur passion a lil.

Spletzer1 said:
I'm a new rider (July of 09) and I have a starter bike; 2009 Giant Defy 3. I've really fallen in love with the sport and I'm doing about 100 miles a week as time/weather allows. I'm going to ride a couple of time trials this summer for no other reason than I need to have a goal. And if I'm going to ride, I'm going to to try and win...well, at least I'm going to try and win the Eddie Merckx class: no aero bars and metal spokes on the same size wheel. The winning times usually average 24 mph over 12 miles of relatively flat pavement.

Keeping the above in mind; what is the one upgrade I can make to my stock bike to gain the most speed? (I already have clipless pedals.) Please keep recomendations under $250. I"m 6'3 and 210 pounds. I currently average about 18 mph on an average 25 mile ride. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Bike fit.

Spletzer1 said:

FWIW. You can get more aero without aero bars ...

If applicable, remove ALL of the spacers between your stem & headset ... stack the spacer on top of the stem.

Consider a slightly longer (at least 1cm longer) stem and/or one which is closer to horizontal (e.g., ITM Mantis) ...

Only use the hoods when you are climbing ...

Otherwise, only ride with your hands on the drops.

Consider buying a handlebar with a deeper drop (e.g., Deda Magic) ...

Et cetera ...

A pair of pre-2009 Campagnolo shifters will be infinitesimally more aerodynamic than your Shimano shifters because their "horns" are lower.

10-speed Campagnolo shifters are compatible with 8-and-9-speed drivetrains (some tweaking in the latter case).

Non-QS Campagnolo shifters will work with absolutely ANY front derailleur, so they are better than the short-lived, Xenon-derived QS shifters (2007-to-2008).

BTW. You can resell your current Shimano shifters for almost-as-much-and-perhaps-more-than a pair of Campagnolo shifters will probably cost you via eBay.

Peter@vecchios said:
Bike fit.

I'm going with this, and the intent is to get your body into a more aggressive (aero) position. Hopefully, you can combo a fit and a new stem (if necessary) into your $250 package...find a good fitter first...

A dedicated TT helmet (don't know if they're outlawed or not in Merckxx categories) will help considerably if you already feel you're as low as you can go while still making decent power...

Bike fit and fitness level are the most important factors to increasing your speed.

But if you're just itching to spend some money, get rid of the 32 spoke Alex DA-22 wheels and buy the Performance brand Forte Titan wheelset. Realize you will need rim tape and possibly new tubes with longer stems for the deeper sectioned wheels. Add in a set of Vredestein Fortezza SE road tires and you're approaching your $250 limit. (Performance is having a 10% off Easter sale, free shipping for orders over $150, and enter promotion code "Ride15" for 15% off some items.)

Rather than looking at equipment, maybe you should be looking at specific training to improve your time. 1x or 2x a week progressively longer intervals at or above threshold will give you marked improvement. Doing a weekly training time trial at the race distance will give you benchmark and allow you to see improvement over time. The other non-equipment factor is your position on the bike - plenty of good advice above.

I'd look at tires as the only real cost-effective speed increase for your bike. Low rolling-resistance race tires and latex tubes can save a handful of watts.

Agree position is all-important. Rather than worrying about achieving a "flat back", or compromising your power with a position that's too low, believe it's most helpful to get as narrow as possible by keeping elbows and knees in. You can even try resting your elbows on the bars, close to the stem. You really don't need aerobars to achieve this position, and it has never caused me any safety concerns (for flat, smooth roads only). It's hard to pay attention to your form and position when you start getting tired, but that's when you need all the watt-savings you can muster.

Other than that, suggest you TT with a tight compression top or skinsuit, shoe covers and no gloves. If an aero helmet is allowed, one of those might be worth the money. Deep CF rim wheelsets would be the final thing to add if you want to spend the money, but I'd do all the above long before getting those.

We are the same height and weight. The only way I got faster is gettin out there on the road and putting in work. Lots of intervals.... Dont take time off for the winter. Get out there anyway or put in work on an indoor trainer. Download "Sufferfest". Omg.... It hurts so bad. The wheels help motivate me because they cost so much, I have to justify the purchase...LOL

Scotty_Dog said:
Bike fit and fitness level are the most important factors to increasing your speed.

I'm also going with this.

Just get a good fit and ride a solid foundation year this year, increasing fitness and saving the money for a complete upgrade when that seems appropriate.

Spletzer1 said:

If you want more speed, don't upgrade. Ride up grades.

:)
A cycling computer with Cadence (I recommend a Cateye Astrale8) and find out how to use it and use it well.

BBB:)

dhk2 said:
I'd look at tires as the only real cost-effective speed increase for your bike. Low rolling-resistance race tires and latex tubes can save a handful of watts.

Yep, I'd splash out on some good tyres and latex tubes, which may increase your speed more than would a set of aero-looking/not-really-aero wheels :)

Also, the bars don't have to be that low to get aero. Moser's stem is barely any lower than his saddle

001bd9d9.jpg

The thing about upgrading an entry level bike is that after so and so many upgrades you'll notice that the money you spent could have gone towards a new bike.