best v-brake value.....

On Jun 20, 7:42 pm, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > Put up a name and place ...
> > > ---------------

> > Put up a name and place ... all of this would be public record,
> > including the autopsy report.

> > > My Trek 5200 has been reduced to a commuter bike, quick steering on

> avoiding
> > > cars, and all the hazards of city riding.

> > Great so what are you riding now.

> > And what 29'er did you decide on?

> > I also noticed you didn't answer the question of "which endurance MTB
> > races were you planning on doing?"

> ------------
> You crack me up, you talk of crits on go-kart tracks,

You crack me up talking about crits that are 75 miles LOL

> and 1/2 mile courses

That pretty much defines

> and you want to comment about them? It might be true, and so you've opened
> my eyes to how ridiculous it can all get.

No I want you to coment on why on earth you think that crits are 75
miles long
And what it has to do with mountain biking?

> Out of respect of the departed I will not reveal his name.

Yawn ,,, go figure

But he was very

> real, I searched like hell on-line for the autopsy report, and it is not
> on-line. I'm sure it's public,

FOIA

> maybe you can contact his family,

FOIA

> dbut Id on't want his name dragged through a usenet flame war.

Flame war? What flame war? you can't have a flame war with some one
who is obvioulys unarmed like you.

> Why on earth would you want to know what my current ride is?

Just interested in what a true Brevet riding ultra athlete is riding
these days ... after all it has been so long since I have been around
the like of Bozeat, Elliott, and you.

> I'll give the standard rbr answer, "it doesn't matter."

I does here ... you osted that you own a set numeber of
bicycles ...you opened the book ...I am just asking whats inside.

> Clever, how you want to turn the 29er against me,

Clever ... no just how I see it.

> but I can say I have made
> a decision, probably not a very informed (obviously) or good decision (will
> find out), but I was limited by funds available, and selection. But it will
> be a 29er hardtail with disc brakes, 9 speed shimano something, aluminum,
> mediocre shock and it's an ugly color. But I think I'm gonna love it!

Hope you do ...the move to a 29er was the right move for me. I move to
a new comapan and new platform and, even though it is their first
year of production I am currently banking 4th in state (due east)
championship points.

> Oh which races, I'll have to look them up. I've only been at this gig for a
> week. I don't know any mtb people, only road people. I've heard of the 24
> hour mtb races, but it depends on the course, obviously if it's real hard,
> you won't see a beginner on it. But first, I have to start riding to see
> what I can do and can't do.

You can only get so wet. Jump in ...do ..... Give the TWM (just north
of you ...and east of flagpole) a shot ... it is after the season is
over ...lots of beer ...lots of guy who do this for a living ...coming
down.

>Once I do that, I will start researching the
> races, and course descriptions, and then I'll post them.

If you only play to your strength ... will you ever race?

> BTW, I've also begun ultramarathon running training, and my shoes are Asics,
> luv 'em!

brands are brands ... but you will find alot of cross over between
mountain biking and ultra (and non ultra) trail running.

> > Oh which races, I'll have to look them up. I've only been at this gig

for a
> > week. I don't know any mtb people, only road people. I've heard of the

24
> > hour mtb races, but it depends on the course, obviously if it's real

hard,
> > you won't see a beginner on it. But first, I have to start riding to

see
> > what I can do and can't do.

> You can only get so wet. Jump in ...do ..... Give the TWM (just north
> of you ...and east of flagpole) a shot ... it is after the season is
> over ...lots of beer ...lots of guy who do this for a living ...coming
> down.
>

> >Once I do that, I will start researching the
> > races, and course descriptions, and then I'll post them.

> If you only play to your strength ... will you ever race?
>
> > BTW, I've also begun ultramarathon running training, and my shoes are

Asics,
> > luv 'em!

> brands are brands ... but you will find alot of cross over between
> mountain biking and ultra (and non ultra) trail running.

----------------
What is TWM, sounds interesting? Tour de White Mountains (guessing). Being
a total novice, so this may sound totally weird, but I have to ask this.
There is a 24 hour race out here, so I took my 26" mtb out there to the
course to see what the course was all about. I think about 1/2 (it's been a
long time) of the course the trail is very skinny. So if you're going slow,
do the bikes stack up behind you because they can't pass you? Of course on
the road, it's very easy to sort out the fast ones, from the slow ones. Now
on my 29er, I hope I won't be going so slow, but my 26" mtb was hugely
heavy, an rst shock (which is horrible I found out) and in reality is just a
commuter bike. So there was no way I was going to get in the way of the
others with that POS. So that's mainly my concern in the beginning, was
finding a course where I won't be in the way. Even in mass charity century
rides, I know how frustrating it is when you can't get around the slow ones.

Yes I do have a tendency to just play to my strength, that's why I'm still
here. Going down 23 mile long screamers with only LED lights, blinded by
highbeams of on coming cars, on dangerous highways with no shoulders, tend
to make me avoid those. I like the athletic part, and try to put up with
the race car part. As I've said, the reason I'm moving partly to mtb is
because I don't want to develop PTSD. Because of the huge amount of miles I
have done on the road, the number of idiots you find on the road tend to add
up after a while. So I want to continue my road activities, so I had to
find a way to continue riding, but get a break from the idiots, so I don't
get PTSD. I never use to think about them, but when you start thinking
about them, it's time for a change in activities.

Trail running, now that's an idea. Cool looking shoes too!

On Jun 20, 6:05 pm, "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > > You gotta be kidding, that's an mtb race (25-50) around here. I've

> never
> > > been in a road race less than 70 miles. That's why I quit doing them,

> it
> > > seems all you do is drive to them and drive back with a sprinkle of

> riding
> > > in between. Do you ever ride bikes, or do you just pose by them? Do

> you
> > > live in the inner city?

> > I do. Have you fixed your brake yet?

> > PS: Here in the inner city, crits tend to be shorter than "regular"
> > road races.

> > /s

> ------------
> I'm gonna get to it, riding isn't the only thing I do, but thanks for some
> ideas. Little did I know that when I mentioned the "29er" that it would
> cause such a firestorm. I'm kind of afraid to show up for my first mtb
> event with a "29er" now. Will they come after me like "Dawn of the Dead"?
> I really thought these had been accepted by now in the mtb community. It's
> like bents in long distance, I don't like them myself, think they are
> dangerous (visibility), but if that's what someone wants to use, why should
> I be critical.- Hide quoted text -

I asked about the brake because you're off-topic. Certainly not a
criminal act, esp in this group, but, ahem, you are the OP....

It's glaringly, comically obvious that riding isn't the only thing
that you do.

You also seem paranoid. Nobody really cares that much about 29" bikes
one way or another. They have benefits and drawbacks. I have bikes
with 20", 24", 26", 27" and 700c wheels. When I see a guy with a 29er
on the trail, I say, "Hi." Walk into any bike shop and say that you
want a 29er and they'll say, "Okay. Which one?"

/s

On Jun 20, 10:29 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Crescentius, you'll have to excuse Ride-A-Lot. With only eight years
> of MTBing, he's still got that newbie, proselytizer's indignation.

And lest we forget, RAL has assured us that 29" wheels are flexy. So
it must be true.

> PS: Ever take a lifeguard instruction course? The instructor always
> says that the most dangerous part of the rescue is the flailing
> rescuee.

Just let our Crescentius do a 24-hour race with an LED bar light (on a
29-er or otherwise), and perhaps he will come back a Humble Tigger ...
a Sad Tigger, a Melancholy Tigger, a Small and Sorry Tigger, an Oh-JD-
I-am-glad-to-see-you Tigger.

Besides, there's only room for one stupid pseudo-latin nym in this
group.

CC

Callistus Valerius wrote:
>> Very telling. You don't like working on a team because you're an

> anti-social
>> *****?
>>

> -----------
> No, because what I heard is that mtb teams spend most of their time getting
> ripped, and if I wanted to do that I'd rather do it at home or at a bar, not
> sitting on some dirt pile. If you deny that, then I'd have to call you a
> liar.

Ah, so you're prejudiced, too. Nice way to live. Just because one or
two teams like to have fun during a race doesn't mean all do. Some like
to be SERIOUS like you.

Greg

Callistus Valerius wrote:

> Trail running, now that's an idea. Cool looking shoes too!

Yes, please go annoy the trail runners. They have more tolerance for
clueless geeks.

Greg

Callistus Valerius wrote:
>> I've never done a road race and don't really have the desire to. I just
>> do the occasional local community MTB race and they are fun. The guys
>> who design the courses know how to make a really good technical course
>> with some real lung busting climbs in them. It gives me a chance to
>> smoke some of the guys who drop me on the road when the going gets
>> rough. Of course some of the other guys who drop me on the road are even
>> better off road so I just don't even see those guys during the event.
>> Unless it's a crit. Good times.
>> The one 24 Hr. race I've done had some very technical sections. They
>> were very challenging at 3:00 am - the lights really change how the
>> terrain looks compared to daylight. So brush up on those skills. You
>> will probably need them. Also, get good at falling. A good faller can
>> get back on and keep going when a bad one is stuck looking for their
>> teeth or trying to stop the bleeding. It will hopefully teach you a
>> little humility too, unless you are too old of a dog to learn that trick.
>>
>> Matt

> ------------
> Falling? I heard of that, but is that because of the competition, or
> because of the course? Also in long distance road, we use LED lights that
> are usually powered by 4 AA batteries, two on the bar, and one LED helmet
> light, powered by 3 AAA batteries, is that good enough for mtb? Obviously
> we don't carry rechargeble batteries since we ride all night, and it's kind
> of hard to recharge a battery at 2am in the middle of no where. We usually
> use lithium disposable batteries due to the minimal weight. When the lights
> go dim pop out the batteries and put new ones in. Maybe you have the same
> routine, don't know. It does sound a lot more difficult since you don't
> have a white line to follow, but at least no high beams from on coming cars
> that wash out everything. Humility is part of riding, no matter what kind
> you do, so I'm kind of use to it. Everyone on the road knows they are
> just one text messenging teenager, away from oblivion, so humility is the
> rule. One time I overheard a couple riders talking about how they set up
> their wills, before taking the ride we were on. I have one set up too, but
> never told anyone. You never know, I could have a heart attack.

For off road we typically use a Halogen or HID (which are better) system
with a rechargeable 12v battery pack. If you are planning on being out
long, get more battery packs and just deal with the weight. In a 24 Hr.
race there is usually somewhere to charge batteries and you just rotate
which battery pack you use. You just have to deal with the weight. Being
able to (sort of) see is worth it.

Matt

> For off road we typically use a Halogen or HID (which are better) system
> with a rechargeable 12v battery pack. If you are planning on being out
> long, get more battery packs and just deal with the weight. In a 24 Hr.
> race there is usually somewhere to charge batteries and you just rotate
> which battery pack you use. You just have to deal with the weight. Being
> able to (sort of) see is worth it.
>
> Matt

-----------
I was thinking that myself, but that means more money I guess. Road LED's
only put a white spot on the white line, but they're super light. This
could be a problem off-road, I can see. A big selection out there, as we
use to all ***** about lights being made for mtb, that were utterly useless
in an all night road event (because of the rechargeable design). In fact I
don't ever remember seeing a rechargeable being used, but I did see some
flashlights duck-taped to the handlebar. Most of us carried some duct tape
with us, so if our lights failed, you could always go to a convience store,
and duct-tape a flashlight on the bar.

G.T. wrote:
> Callistus Valerius wrote:
>>> Very telling. You don't like working on a team because you're an

>> anti-social
>>> *****?
>>>

>> -----------
>> No, because what I heard is that mtb teams spend most of their time
>> getting
>> ripped, and if I wanted to do that I'd rather do it at home or at a
>> bar, not
>> sitting on some dirt pile. If you deny that, then I'd have to call you a
>> liar.
>>

> Ah, so you're prejudiced, too. Nice way to live. Just because one or
> two teams like to have fun during a race doesn't mean all do. Some like
> to be SERIOUS like you.
>
> Greg

I just like to get buzzed. Ripped is too taxing.

Matt

Any decent v brake will eat through your rim in no time.I know as i;ve been
there.Go for disc brakes!
> > > I still have POS 26" mtb that I still maintain, and it has some promax
> > > v-brakes that don't work anymore, unless you consider one pad rubbing

on
> the
> > > wheel, working. I want to replace them with some new v-brakes. What

> are
> > > some good value v-brakes that work decently but don't cost a fortune.

> Not
> > > interested in POS promax, anything else.

> > Frankly, there are better and worse Vs (based on weight, stiffness,
> > tolerances at the pivot, pads), but functionally they're all within
> > the same ballpark.
> >
> > One pad being pulled into the rim sounds like a easily fixable
> > problem. There are wire springs behind each brake caliper that reach
> > from the pivot up towards the top of the caliper. Those springs are
> > held in place by a nub that protrudes from the top-back of the
> > caliper. Let's say that the left pad is the one being pulled into the
> > rim. Sounds like the left side caliper spring is disengaged, which
> > means that the right caliper's engaged spring is pulling the left pad
> > into the rim.
> >
> > There should also be some bolts at the base of the calipers which will
> > help align the calipers.
> >
> > Last thing to try is to remove the calipers and make sure the base of
> > the spring is in the appropriate hole within the braze-on.
> >
> > /s

> tried all of that, I think the spring no longer works. When springs fail,
> they still look ok, they just don't work. The brakes are 10 years old.

Had
> the same thing happen on a road bike brake, just by looking at it, it

should