Best Value Mountain Bike Under $500?

poppa23

Aug 16, 2003
I recently received a K2 Cheyenne from my aunt for a present, but when I looked for it online I did not see any information for it anywhere. Anyways, I am able to return this bike to the department store and get cash back for it in which I can buy another bike from somewhere else. I was actually not really looking to spend much more than 350 on the bike (K2 was bought for 200) so I was looking at the '04 Giant Rincon and '04 Trek 4300? Is it worth returning my K2 or should I get another bike? The Trek is $319 and the Giant is $339. Any other bikes I should look at? Btw, I am a newbie rider looking to get into biking. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Actually, I found out my LBS has financing options and they recommended to me to look at the Cannondale F600 for 1099 and also the Santa Cruz Chameleon R-Kit for around 1400. Any opinions on any of those bikes?

The Cannondale F600 is an amazing bike, good company and great value. It looks good too, so do not leave it on any Chicago parking meter or parts will disappaer. Santa Cruz is also an impressive company and extremely high end.

The Santa Cruz is twice the bike the Canondale is. Better handling, more stable, rock solid. With the R kit you don't get any exotic components but everything will work like it's supposed to. Have fun, just don't go too far into debt. Then you'll have to work more to pay for the junk and not have as much time to ride (listen to my voice of experience). Keep the rubber side down.

K.

I really do want the Santa Cruz after trying it and everything...plus i get 90 days to pay the sucker off and i'm putting in around 800 down...do you think I should go for it or is there another bike anyone recommends lower in price than the Santa Cruz?

If you can pay off the remaining $600 within the 3 months then go for the Santa Cruz, in the long run you will appreciate it. Have fun on that bike! Make sure you get a good lock if you are going to ride it around town. Enjoy!

K.

One last thing...def gonna get this bike! Do ya think it's worth some extra money (50?) to get the Psylo forks? Maybe another fork I should look at? What about the avid disc brakes on the R-disc kit for another like 300 or so? Really appreciate the response...

I'd get Manitou or Marzocchi forks if you can. The Avid mechanicals are good brakes, but if they are going to charge you $300 for them forget it. If that amount is for their new hydros then the money is worth it. You can find the mechanicals online for half that and set them up yourself pretty easily! Saving money is always cool. Glad to have you (soon) in the Santa Cruz family! Have fun riding.

K.

I thought you were a newbie rider? Looking to getting into riding? Looking to spend under $500? Now you are talking about putting $800.00 down + $600 + $300++ in extra sh*t? Are you crazy? Spending $2,000.00 on your first bike is a bit much. Go back to your original game plan.

My daughter has the Rincon, and it is a really nice bike for the money, and darned good looking too. Put her on it, it is twice as good looking!

The Giants are nice. I think the OP should go back to looking at the Giants. There is no reason to spend nearly $2000.00 on your first bike when you say that you're a newbie just looking to get into biking.

Originally posted by hollywoodhogan
The Giants are nice. I think the OP should go back to looking at the Giants. There is no reason to spend nearly $2000.00 on your first bike when you say that you're a newbie just looking to get into biking.

Just had my first ride of my new bike the "Giant Rincon '04". What a lovely smooth ride. I'm thrilled with it. Could do with a tyre upgrade from the 1.95's but other than that I'm happy with it for what I'm goin to be doin on it for now.

Originally posted by hollywoodhogan
I thought you were a newbie rider? Looking to getting into riding? Looking to spend under $500? Now you are talking about putting $800.00 down + $600 + $300++ in extra sh*t? Are you crazy? Spending $2,000.00 on your first bike is a bit much. Go back to your original game plan.

it was a bit much but i came across a nice winfall and although it is a bit too nice to be learning on it has been great! btw...i actually went higher and got a heckler and just decided to pay it all upfront...expensive? yes...worth it for my own happiness? totally! but yeah, you are right...i knew though though that i would be spending a lot of time with my new toy so it's all good...

im also a new rider, and i have the K2 Cheyenne. It may suck being a hardtail (my ONLY regret) but overall, this bike is awesome, think u should have stuck with it.

Originally posted by umberto
im also a new rider, and i have the K2 Cheyenne. It may suck being a hardtail (my ONLY regret) but overall, this bike is awesome, think u should have stuck with it.

i still keep in contact with that bike as i gave it away to a friend and he loves it...nothing was wrong with that bike...it was/is nice but when i ride with my friend on the trails, i just can't help but totally enjoy my decision...like ireman i have fallen in love with santa cruz's...even thinking about the chameleon so i can try a singlespeed out!