Best Vo2max Workouts

fujimo

Dec 15, 2002
What is the best cycling workout to boost my VO2max.<br />I am trying to cycle competitively this spring instead of running track(for high school) and I want to know what the best workouts might be to prep me for next year's running season (5K in XC)<br /><br />I live in Oakland, CA, and am surrounded by hills but can go to easily go to a place with miles of flat, paved roads. Would emulating VO2max workouts from XC be wise (12X400m intervals@75sec w/90sec rest). <br /><br /> ::)<br />Thanks <br />

There is no one best workout for developing VO2, like any aerobic sport you will need to do some base work, then aerobic threshold work and also intervals to get the most out of training.<br /><br />check out the other threads on base training, lactate threshold and intervals for some more ideas.<br /><br />one thing to be aware of is that gains in VO2 are somewhat equipment specific so that any gains you make on the bike will not always transfer across to your running. I believe they did a study on this and found that after a period of training where VO2 gains on a cycle were 7% the same cyclists only achiened 3% extra on a treadmill test.<br /><br />Still off season training on a bike will give you a good base from which to start your track training

Originally posted by fujimo
What is the best cycling workout to boost my VO2max.<br />I am trying to cycle competitively this spring instead of running track(for high school) and I want to know what the best workouts might be to prep me for next year's running season (5K in XC)<br /><br />I live in Oakland, CA, and am surrounded by hills but can go to easily go to a place with miles of flat, paved roads. Would emulating VO2max workouts from XC be wise (12X400m intervals@75sec w/90sec rest). <br /><br /> ::)<br />Thanks <br />

Hi,

This is a little late for the 2002 season - but will give you something to read and think about during the winter. Check out this link -

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0958.htm

In fact there are a whole host of articles about VO2 max training on this site. The training for cyclists is similar to the training for runners - do intervals where you finish the interval at 95%+ of max HR (this is used as a proxy for 90% VO2 max).

SR

Hi,

This is a little late for the 2002 season - but will give you something to read and think about during the winter. Check out this link -

In fact there are a whole host of articles about VO2 max training on this site. The training for cyclists is similar to the training for runners - do intervals where you finish the interval at 95%+ of max HR (this is used as a proxy for 90% VO2 max).

SR

Hi,

SR