Best way for me to train

Ssushi

Mar 21, 2003
The story so far:

Started road biking in Feb to ride in an 200km hill climbing event last Sun.

Became hooked on road biking.

Mountain bike up for sale.

Equipment:

Good quality bike.
HRM
Indoor Traininer

Stats:
6 foot tall
13.5 stone
little body fat
31 years old

Training so far:
Point myself up big hills and grind my way to the top
50-120 km runs / 2-3 times a week.

Aims:
More distance events in the coming months.
Race next year.

I (think) I need to train more intelligently and understand more about cycling and fitness and am currently attempting to read all I can on this subject.

Would anyone have any advise about how I should proceed from here on in.

I work quite long hours (7.30 - 7.00 M-T & 7.30 - 3.00 F) so indoor training suits me mid week and out on the raods at a weekend.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers

ssushi

I think that you should form some really specific goals, once you have these you will know much better what you are trying to acheive. Pointing your bike up hills and pedaling has never been a very specific way of training.

You will need to increase training distances up to those you are going to cover in races and other events. It may be best to try some BASE training first. Increasing your lactate threshold will mean that distance events are easier, however depending upon the racing you wish to do training will need to get very specific.

I think it might be worth you finding a coach. Check out the Catspin thread about finding a coach.

I've been riding for almost a year and have found that group rides have given me the most benefit. You'll not only gain some valuable info from more experienced riders, but also have great fun meeting some new people in the sport.
For indoor base miles and fitness I recommend attending spinning classes at your local gym (if you absolutely can't hit the roads).
Good luck and have fun.

I've started to do my spins of 50k+ at a target HR of 70 maxHR. I'm hoping that this will a) help to relieve my knee problems (strengthen my tendons etc...) and b) provide the base trainiing that I need. I can graph my HR/altitude/distance and keep track. I'm also concentrating on keeping at higher cadence as possible and thinking about not pressing the peddles but turning them for 360 deg.

Any other advice for base training? I've been advised to to one leg training on my indoor trainer to help with the 360 deg thing.

Cheers

Ssushi

There has been a lot of discussion about one leg training on this site recently, perhaps you might want to try it out.

Hi,
for aerobic conditioning, The Heart Rate Monitor Book for Outdoor and Indoor Cyclists by Edwards and Reed is excellent.
The only thing it lacks is periodisation. You will also want their logbook.
The best thing would be to find a good trainer.