Best way to learn how to maintain my bicycle?

tepidarium

Nov 21, 2003
Hi All,

So, I love riding my bike and I want to keep it in great shape. I want to learn how to maintain my bicycle, interact with the parts of the bike...learn how to repair, adjust, clean, etc. The problem is I don't have a clue. I always take my bike to my LBS - which of course is not a bad thing, but I would like to learn how to do things myself.

I tried looking through Howard Zinn's book on bike maintenance - but I found it confusing & sparse in terms of pictures, illustrations.

I was wondering if you had opinions on any bike maintenance resources.

I have been loking for a bike maintenance video or DVD but I cannot find any.

What do you think of the folloiwng books:

Complete Bike Maintenance by Fred Milson

and

Bike Repair Manual by Chris Sidwells

If you can suggest any other books, vidoes, etc. please let me know.

It would be great to take a bike maintenance class, but I can't find and LBS or other venues offering it.

Call around to various LBS and you might find that some have free maintenance classes.

I part-time at a bike shop and we've had free classes that have ranged from spin classes, nutrition, group rides, maintenance, and overall come over and hang out.

If none of your shops do this, next time you get your bike serviced just ask if the mechanic ever had free time if he/she could show you a thing or two. Most of the mechanics I've ever known will appreciate a beer or two for something like this... very cool.

tepidarium said:
Hi All,

So, I love riding my bike and I want to keep it in great shape. I want to learn how to maintain my bicycle, interact with the parts of the bike...learn how to repair, adjust, clean, etc. The problem is I don't have a clue. I always take my bike to my LBS - which of course is not a bad thing, but I would like to learn how to do things myself.

I tried looking through Howard Zinn's book on bike maintenance - but I found it confusing & sparse in terms of pictures, illustrations.

and

It would be great to take a bike maintenance class, but I can't find and LBS or other venues offering it.
Most of what you will ever need you can find at these two sites:

http://www.parktool.com
http://www.sheldonbrown.com

You will see these two sites referred to over, and over, and over, again at any on-line repair forums, so now is the time to bookmark them and check them out. While you are on the Park Tool site check out the "Park Tool School" link and see if there are any classes in your area. The 12 hour class is excellent (although YMMV). If you must have a book, the new Park Tool "Big Blue Book" is very good, but I think you'll find what you need on those two sites. Have fun!

tepidarium said:
Hi All,

and

The best way is to play doctor and perform experimental surgery! Take it to bits and then put it back together again. Although, only if you're any good at that sort of thing.

Bill.

shannons dad said:
The best way is to play doctor and perform experimental surgery! Take it to bits and then put it back together again. Although, only if you're any good at that sort of thing.

Bill.
Practise on an old bike before tinkering with an expensive new one.
Richard's Bicycle Book by Richard Ballantine should be in every cyclist's library.