best way to lube SPD's?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., May 11, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > 1¢

    I like Liquid Wrench Super Lube with Teflon. I give the pedals and derailleurs a shot after washing
    the bike. Warning label says it contains perchloroethylene, a chemical known to the State of
    California to cause cancer. You don't live in CA so you should be ok. ;^) Silicon spray would work
    just fine too. (I've heard Pam cooking spray works) It should be light and 'dry' so as to not hold
    on to dirt.

    Mike

  3. Mx-Pilot

    Mx-Pilot Guest

    just get that aresol liquid white grease in a can

    spray it on, then it hardens like grease, cus it is.. its great on everything ever.

    > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > 1¢

  4. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:49:24 +0000, MX-Pilot wrote:

    > just get that aresol liquid white grease in a can
    >
    > spray it on, then it hardens like grease, cus it is.. its great on everything ever.

    ....and you too can have pedals that attract dirt and sand like a magnet. Woo.

    Go with what Mike said, something light is just the ticket.

    Andy Chequer

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > 1¢

    let me re-frame the question.. out of the three above, which would you use? penny

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Penny S. wrote:
    > > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > 1¢
    >
    > let me re-frame the question.. out of the three above, which would you
    use?
    > penny

    Silicone spray.

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Penny S. wrote:
    > > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > 1¢
    >
    > let me re-frame the question.. out of the three above, which would you use? penny

    Nail polish works fine and comes in all kinds of colors ;^ )

    Seriously, silicon spray (lightly) is good, but I've used chain lube in pinch too.
    --
    Slacker

  8. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2003 18:47:13 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    > Penny S. wrote:
    >> wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link)

    > let me re-frame the question.. out of the three above, which would you use? penny

    I've used all three, and have to agree the silicon spray works the best. Its most effective if you
    bring it along and give 'em a shot right before the ride. As Mike Meyers would say, "like buttah".

  9. Nate

    Nate Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > 1¢

    Get some TIME pedals. 5k miles, never needed no stankin lube. When I had SPDs, I lubed according to
    wet/dry/dusty conditions. So I'd say it all depends on your conditions... Beware of sand with lubed
    SPDs, mine practically locked me in.

    Nate

  10. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 11 May 2003 20:29:48 -0700, Nate wrote:

    > Get some TIME pedals. 5k miles, never needed no stankin lube.

    Oh, good idea - go spend a hundred bucks so you don't have to spend thirty seconds spraying lube on
    your pedal.

  11. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    Chain oil. I usually just dab some on the pedal when I lube the chain. Honestly, I never tried
    silicone spray and am not sure if I could even find it in Germany.

    -Dave (who can't find loc-tite either)

  12. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > 1¢

    Chain lube lasts longer then silicone (I tried both). WD-40 isn't enough of a lube. Make sure that
    you get it only on the pivots. I used to just spray liberally and had it penetrate the threads of
    the screws that hold the plates on and over time disolve the loc-tite. Once that happened, I
    couldn't keep the screws tight and had to replace the pedals -- I tried removing them, cleaning the
    hole and re-lock-tite'ing them but that only held for slightly longer then just tightening.

    But, the need to lube 'em before EVERY ride made me try egg beaters when my last pair of SPDs wore
    out. I like 'em a LOT more (easier to lock into and don't unclip when I don't want 'em to), but I'll
    probably get the Look version next time (better bearings).

    David

  13. MX-Pilot wrote:

    > just get that aresol liquid white grease in a can
    >
    > spray it on, then it hardens like grease, cus it is.. its great on everything ever.

    This stuff is terrible on anything exposed. The grease attracts and holds all kinds of
    grit and dirt.

    Barry

  14. BB wrote:

    > On 11 May 2003 20:29:48 -0700, Nate wrote:
    >
    > > Get some TIME pedals. 5k miles, never needed no stankin lube.
    >
    > Oh, good idea - go spend a hundred bucks so you don't have to spend thirty seconds spraying lube
    > on your pedal.
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

    The hundred bucks will also make entry and exit much easier in mud and snow and require zero
    adjustment.

    Barry

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    B a r r y B u r k e J r . <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The hundred bucks will also make entry and exit much easier in mud and snow and require zero
    > adjustment.

    I already have one that does that, and it cost me nothing.

    Shaun aRe

  16. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????

    Which kind of SPDs do you have? It does actually matter, since
    (IMO) the older ones need lube on the actual pedal and 959s need almost none.

    Now, to answer the actual question:

    Don't lube them much at all. Touch the pivots with a tiny bit of persistent lube (WD40? That isn't
    lube. That's Water Dispersent) and wipe away the excess. If you gob a bunch of lube on the pedal,
    the mechanism just gets gunked up with the dirt that is attracted to the lube.

    They key thing that needs lube is the cleat/pedal interface. Best way to lube this is to dab some
    lube on the cleat itself.

    When I was still running 747s, I used to bring a tiny bit of lube on rides where I expected
    wet/muddy conditions. When release started to get sticky, I would lube the cleat (only the cleat)
    and be back in business. During rides where it got bad enough, and I didn't have any lube with me, I
    was able to get by wiping face-grease from my nose onto my finger then smearing that on the cleats
    (really!).

    With the 959s this has never been enough of a problem to bother bringing lube with me. They get a
    little sticky, but not the welded- together feeling I got from 747s after getting the cleats wet
    many times.
    --
    Tom "all SPuDs are OK, but 959s are great!" Purvis Salida, CO -
    http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

  17. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > 1¢

    Are you trying to oil the internals, or get rid of a squeak from the interface of cleat and clip? If
    it's the latter, use a bar of soap and scrape it dry against your cleat and clip. It gives it a waxy
    surface cuts down friction but doesn't attract as much dust as liquid.

  18. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    David Kunz wrote:
    > Penny S. wrote:
    >> wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> 1¢
    >>

    > Chain lube lasts longer then silicone (I tried both). WD-40 isn't enough of a lube. Make sure that
    > you get it only on the pivots. I used to just spray liberally and had it penetrate the threads of
    > the screws that hold the plates on and over time disolve the loc-tite. Once that happened, I
    > couldn't keep the screws tight and had to replace the pedals -- I tried removing them, cleaning
    > the hole and re-lock-tite'ing them but that only held for slightly longer then just tightening.
    >
    > But, the need to lube 'em before EVERY ride made me try egg beaters when my last pair of SPDs wore
    > out. I like 'em a LOT more (easier to lock into and don't unclip when I don't want 'em to), but
    > I'll probably get the Look version next time (better bearings).
    >
    > David

    Not every ride. This is the first year I've gone out in the wet... so there's been a bit of hosing
    the bikes off, casing the chain and pedals to dry out. On this last ride, both DH and I were having
    serious damn clips too tight tip over problems.

    Penny

  19. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    In <[email protected]> Penny S. wrote:
    > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > 1¢
    None of the above. Waxed based lube. Since this winter (in snow, sand, and mud) I've been using
    White Lightning. I know Pedro's made something like it too. Don't know if they're still around. On
    the advice of my LBS I really cleaned the pedals thoroughly to remove all the dirt and old lube.
    Once dry I doused the pedals with the stuff. Works better than anything else I'd ever tried in a
    dozen or so years of SPD use. I don't have 959s either (515s I think-cheap OEMs).

    Cheers, Shawn

  20. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > David Kunz wrote:
    > > Penny S. wrote:
    > >> wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
    > >>
    > >> thanks
    > >>
    > >> 1¢
    > >>

    > > Chain lube lasts longer then silicone (I tried both). WD-40 isn't enough of a lube. Make sure
    > > that you get it only on the pivots. I used to just spray liberally and had it penetrate the
    > > threads of the screws that hold the plates on and over time disolve the loc-tite. Once that
    > > happened, I couldn't keep the screws tight and had to replace the pedals -- I tried removing
    > > them, cleaning the hole and re-lock-tite'ing them but that only held for slightly longer then
    > > just tightening.
    > >
    > > But, the need to lube 'em before EVERY ride made me try egg beaters when my last pair of SPDs
    > > wore out. I like 'em a LOT more (easier to lock into and don't unclip when I don't want 'em to),
    > > but I'll probably get the Look version next time (better bearings).
    > >
    > > David
    >
    > Not every ride. This is the first year I've gone out in the wet... so there's been a bit of hosing
    > the bikes off, casing the chain and pedals to dry out. On this last ride, both DH and I were
    > having serious damn clips
    too
    > tight tip over problems.
    >
    > Penny

    That could also be sign of overly worn cleats.

    Mike