best way to lube SPD's?

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BB wrote:
> >
> > On 11 May 2003 20:29:48 -0700, Nate wrote:
> >
> > > Get some TIME pedals. 5k miles, never needed no stankin lube.
> >
> > Oh, good idea - go spend a hundred bucks so you don't have to spend
thirty
> > seconds spraying lube on your pedal.
> >
> > --
> > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
>
> The hundred bucks will also make entry and exit much easier in mud and snow and require zero
> adjustment.
>
> Barry

Yea, those damn SPDs, I'm practically adjusting them every day. Not. And I've got no problems
getting in and out when they're muddy.

Alex

Michael Dart wrote:

>> Not every ride. This is the first year I've gone out in the wet... so there's been a bit of
>> hosing the bikes off, casing the chain and pedals to dry out. On this last ride, both DH and I
>> were having serious damn clips too tight tip over problems.
>>
>> Penny
>>

> That could also be sign of overly worn cleats.
>
> Mike

hmmm. maybe but I'm going to try lube first... This ride was the first time I've ever had problems
like this, which happens to coincide with a lot of hose-de-mudding of the bike since I decided not
to be a weather weenie this year.

I bet we have white lightning around here

Penny

AlexN wrote:

> Yea, those damn SPDs, I'm practically adjusting them every day. Not. And I've got no problems
> getting in and out when they're muddy.
>
> Alex

I"m beginning to think that some of it is an issue for different types of mud. We get this sandy
sticky stuff, if my cleats get packed I have to whack my foot on teh pedal to be able to clip in. Oh
well, it'll be drying out very soon.

penny

> AlexN wrote:
> >>
> > Yea, those damn SPDs, I'm practically adjusting them every day. Not. And I've got no problems
> > getting in and out when they're muddy.
> >
> > Alex
>
> I"m beginning to think that some of it is an issue for different types of mud. We get this sandy
> sticky stuff, if my cleats get packed I have to
whack
> my foot on teh pedal to be able to clip in. Oh well, it'll be drying out very soon.
>
> penny

You're probably right, not much of that gritty stuff around here. We've got alot of fine mud, which
never seems to be a problem.

Alex

AlexN wrote:

> > AlexN wrote:
> > >>
> > > Yea, those damn SPDs, I'm practically adjusting them every day. Not. And I've got no problems
> > > getting in and out when they're muddy.
> > >
> > > Alex
> >
> > I"m beginning to think that some of it is an issue for different types of mud. We get this sandy
> > sticky stuff, if my cleats get packed I have to
> whack
> > my foot on teh pedal to be able to clip in. Oh well, it'll be drying out very soon.
> >
> > penny
> >

> You're probably right, not much of that gritty stuff around here. We've got alot of fine mud,
> which never seems to be a problem.
>
> Alex

As you were poking fun at other's mud problems, you forgot SNOW. All of my buddies, and myself, when
I rode SPD pedals, had ice and snow build up in the pedal, preventing entry. ATACS, Eggbeaters and
Frogs are self cleaning.

Barry

why would anyone spray the outside of their pedals

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MX-Pilot wrote:
> >
> > just get that aresol liquid white grease in a can
> >
> > spray it on, then it hardens like grease, cus it is.. its great on everything ever.
>
> This stuff is terrible on anything exposed. The grease attracts and holds all kinds of grit
> and dirt.
>
> Barry

> the mechanism just gets gunked up with the dirt that is attracted to the lube.

DIRT IS NEVER ATTRACTED! IT ONLY STICKS TO OIL!

Sorry Tom, not just you, but everyone else too. ;)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>>the mechanism just gets gunked up with the dirt that is attracted to the lube.
>

> DIRT IS NEVER ATTRACTED! IT ONLY STICKS TO OIL!
>
> Sorry Tom, not just you, but everyone else too. ;)

I've only recently swapped to SPD's (Some of my latest bruises still hurt <Ouch>) and in
conversation with my "expert" mate. He suggested simply waiting for the mud to try and then cleaning
with a nylon brush.

This (I would imagine) would avoid the build up of crud on the oil/grease.

Gyp

Penny S. wrote:
> David Kunz wrote:
>
>>Penny S. wrote:
>>
>>>wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>
>>>1¢
>>>

>>Chain lube lasts longer then silicone (I tried both). WD-40 isn't enough of a lube. Make sure that
>>you get it only on the pivots. I used to just spray liberally and had it penetrate the threads of
>>the screws that hold the plates on and over time disolve the loc-tite. Once that happened, I
>>couldn't keep the screws tight and had to replace the pedals -- I tried removing them, cleaning
>>the hole and re-lock-tite'ing them but that only held for slightly longer then just tightening.
>>
>>But, the need to lube 'em before EVERY ride made me try egg beaters when my last pair of SPDs wore
>>out. I like 'em a LOT more (easier to lock into and don't unclip when I don't want 'em to), but
>>I'll probably get the Look version next time (better bearings).
>>
>>David
>

> Not every ride. This is the first year I've gone out in the wet... so there's been a bit of hosing
> the bikes off, casing the chain and pedals to dry out. On this last ride, both DH and I were
> having serious damn clips too tight tip over problems.
>
> Penny

That was one of the reasons that I used to lube mine (increased resistence to unclipping). The other
was squeeks. If I didn't lube, they would eventually start squeeking with every pedal stroke -- and
that was even more anoying than hard unclipping :). I didn't necessarily need to lube before EVERY
ride, I just found out over time that it was the best way to avoid wishing that I had lubed them
before THIS ride :).

David

MX-Pilot wrote:
> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>MX-Pilot wrote:
>>
>>>just get that aresol liquid white grease in a can
>>>
>>>spray it on, then it hardens like grease, cus it is.. its great on everything ever.
>>
>>This stuff is terrible on anything exposed. The grease attracts and holds all kinds of grit
>>and dirt.
>>
>>Barry
>
> why would anyone spray the outside of their pedals

My shoes used to squeek on the metal as I pedaled. I started lubing the whole pedal until I ran into
a problem with loose screws (see other post), then I just started spraying the bottom of my shoes
around the cleat before each ride. Doesn't happen with egg beaters :).

David

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > the mechanism just gets gunked up with the dirt that is attracted to the lube.
>
> DIRT IS NEVER ATTRACTED! IT ONLY STICKS TO OIL!
>
> Sorry Tom, not just you, but everyone else too. ;)

OK, fine point semantics. Fair enough. Forgive my imprecise words.

But the point is still valid: when you slosh lube all over the pedal, dirt sticks to it, and
eventually you have to de-gunk the whole pedal mechanism. When you do that, your odds of getting
some kind of solvent past the seals into the pedal bearing are pretty favorable.

Sloshing lube all over the pedal will help, because maybe 2% of it winds up helping you out where
you need it, at the cleat/pedal interface. But it's much more efficient and effective to just put a
tiny bit of lube on the cleat.

Or just upgrade to 959s and pretty much never have to think about it.
--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/ Salida, CO

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 11 May 2003 20:29:48 -0700, Nate wrote:
>
> > Get some TIME pedals. 5k miles, never needed no stankin lube.
>
> Oh, good idea - go spend a hundred bucks so you don't have to spend thirty seconds spraying lube
> on your pedal.

And when your lube wears out in the middle of your ride (right after a few creek crossings and some
mud)you can spend 30 days off the bike in ankle or knee recovery cuz the stupid pedal didn't release
in the clutch moment. Not to mention spend the deductible for health insurance which would probably
pay for the pedals in the first place. An excellent answer: temporarily fix a problem rather than
replace the defective component.

Nate "just put some duct tape on that crack in your helmet, it'll be fine"

"James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > 1¢
> >
> > Ride flats.
> >
> > JD
>
> Question: What's the best chocolate cake recipe?
>
> Answer: Eat tree bark, you useless moron! JD

This was you, wasn't it?

"James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> So just wear the men's shorts. Who'll know and what's the big deal?

**** up a rope, little Jimmy.

JD