Best way to make flavorfull juicy chicken breasts in the oven?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Joe Blo, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Joe Blo

    Joe Blo Guest

    I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
    chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I would
    like to use my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home, however I
    hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine solution overnight
    and pound them flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them taste better?
    How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on the breasts when I cook them in the oven? Can
    anyone recommend a line of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret methods
    in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

    Tags:

  2. On 2/21/2004 6:39 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
    great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

    > I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
    > chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I
    > would like to use my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home,
    > however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine
    > solution overnight and pound them flat with a mallet?

    The Tilia will work just fine. The "overnight" is to allow the marinade to absorb into the meat. You
    do not need to use a brine. The purpose of pounding them flat is so that they will cook evenly - one
    part is not thicker than another. I usually cook the chicken breasts at 325 - 350 (depending on the
    thickness).

    Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them
    > taste better?

    The flavor from soaking in brine is a matter of personal preference - I love bourbon, but
    hate scotch.

    How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on
    > the breasts when I cook them in the oven?

    About 8 - 10 minutes before you are ready to serve them, put them under the broiler. You will need
    to watch them as every broiler is a little different in temperature and the distance will make a
    difference also. The higher the amount of sugar in the marinade, the quicker they will blacken.

    Can anyone recommend a line
    > of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret methods in making tasty
    > marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

  3. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Joe Blo wrote:

    > I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
    > chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I
    > would like to use my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home,
    > however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine
    > solution overnight and pound them flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make
    > them taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on the breasts when I cook
    > them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line of bottled marinates that are really good? Please
    > share your secret methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

    It could be that your chicken breasts are dry and flat tasting is that you are over cooking them. If
    you want them to be blackened and crispy on the outside, just grill them in the grill pan on top of
    the stove.

  4. Mr. Wizard

    Mr. Wizard Guest

    "Joe Blo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
    > chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I
    > would like to use my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home,
    > however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine
    > solution overnight and pound them flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make
    > them taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on the breasts when I cook
    > them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line of bottled marinates that are really good? Please
    > share your secret methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

    Sorry to tell you that everything your doing and all you have been told is wrong. Chicken breasts
    by themselves should not be marinated for an extended period with any kind of acidic mix like
    vinegar or citrus. Thirty minutes is tops. Brining them will not achieve a 'Juicy" breast. Just the
    opposite. Pounding them will make them the driest of all and is only for stuffing them with a
    greasy filling.

    The best way to flavor a chicken breast is to season whole milk with powdered or dried spices,
    garlic, onion, peppers, herbs, etc. and soak the breasts tightly covered in the fridge. You can soak
    them overnight or leave it two or three days. Make sure to rinse the breasts with plenty of cold
    water before soaking. Use only dried or powdered spices or you will sour the milk.

    To cook: Put some flour in a shallow dish and season it with salt and pepper. Use a teaspoon of each
    for every cup of flour. Dredge the breasts in the flour and lightly dust the chicken, shake to
    remove any excess. In a large oven safe skillet, heat clarified butter over medium-high heat. Add
    the chicken and sear until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on the top side. Turn and place in preheated
    350 degree oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove from the
    oven, transfer to a plate. Hints: Turn the oven to 350 first thing. Get the chicken and flour ready
    to dredge. Start getting the pan hot on the stovetop before you dust the chicken so you can sear it
    as soon as you shake off the excess flour.

  5. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Joe Blo wrote:
    > I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
    > chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull.

    Over-cooking is probably an issue here.

    I would like to use
    > my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home, however I hear that
    > the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine solution overnight and
    > pound them flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them taste better? How
    > can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on the breasts when I cook them in the oven? Can
    > anyone recommend a line of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret
    > methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

    Pineapple juice makes an excellent marinade and the acidic content helps break down the meat. Also
    tastes better than lemon juice.

    I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven. Perhaps in a cast iron skillet.

    Jill

  6. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    > "jmcquown" writes:
    >
    >I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven.
    >
    >Jill

    My ex-mil did that all the time.

  7. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:
    >> "jmcquown" writes:
    >>
    >> I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >
    > My ex-mil did that all the time.
    >
    > Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

    ROFL! Yeah, but this guy wants to do it *on purpose*! I suspect he wants it to look grilled, not
    blackened.

    Jill

  8. Strider

    Strider Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > PENMART01 wrote:
    > >> "jmcquown" writes:
    > >>
    > >> I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven.
    > >>
    > >> Jill
    > >
    > > My ex-mil did that all the time.
    > >
    > > Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
    >
    > ROFL! Yeah, but this guy wants to do it *on purpose*! I suspect he wants it to look grilled, not
    > blackened.
    >
    > Jill

    My favorite way is to use one of those little electric George Foreman grills ($10 when on sale at
    Amazon). Plug in the grill, cut a breast of chicken, drop it on, maybe grind some pepper on top. Let
    it heat for about 5 minutes, press down a couple of times. Cook till done. Cleans up REAL easy,
    chicken gets "grill marks", quick both in preparation and clean up.

  9. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Joe Blo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
    > chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I
    > would like to use my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home,
    > however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine
    > solution overnight and pound them flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make
    > them taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on the breasts when I cook
    > them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line of bottled marinates that are really good? Please
    > share your secret methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

    First, it sounds like you are definitely overcooking the chicken on the grill. You need to make them
    as even as possible, thickness-wise, and grill just until cooked through. With boneless skinless
    breasts, I generally grill them over a hotter heat because they cook quickly and otherwise wouldn't
    have time to get that yummy browning on them. Brining is the best for boneless, skinless
    chicken...it makes it tender, flavorful and juicy. You can add spices to the brine for added flavor
    too....sage leaves, peppercorns, ancho chiles...it's pretty open. You can also marinate/brine
    chicken with salted buttermilk, and you can add spices to that too. Another option is using a
    standard oil/acid marinade, such as one containing lemon juice, pineapple juice, tomato juice, etc
    and usually an oil, such as olive oil. A favorite of ours is olive oil, lime juice, ancho chili
    powder, and onions. However you cook them, do two things: Make sure the thickness is even throughout
    as much as possible. You can do this by butterflying or by pounding. Do *not* overcook. Chicken can
    still be slightly pink in the center when you take it off the heat as the residual heat completes
    the cooking. The juices should run clear. It should feel firm, but not too firm, to the touch. Once
    you get a feel for how long to grill/bake/broil/sauté/fry your chicken, you'll be better able to
    easily estimate when to remove it from the heat to avoid overcooking. It also helps to start with a
    good tasting chicken to begin with. Try getting an organic, free range chicken sometime. It's an
    amazing difference.

    kimberly