Best way to make flavorfull juicy chicken breasts in the oven?

Joe Blo

Guest
I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I would
like to use my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home, however I
hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine solution overnight
and pound them flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them taste better?
How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on the breasts when I cook them in the oven? Can
anyone recommend a line of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret methods
in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

On 2/21/2004 6:39 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

> I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
> chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I
> would like to use my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home,
> however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine
> solution overnight and pound them flat with a mallet?

The Tilia will work just fine. The "overnight" is to allow the marinade to absorb into the meat. You
do not need to use a brine. The purpose of pounding them flat is so that they will cook evenly - one
part is not thicker than another. I usually cook the chicken breasts at 325 - 350 (depending on the
thickness).

Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them
> taste better?

The flavor from soaking in brine is a matter of personal preference - I love bourbon, but
hate scotch.

How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on
> the breasts when I cook them in the oven?

About 8 - 10 minutes before you are ready to serve them, put them under the broiler. You will need
to watch them as every broiler is a little different in temperature and the distance will make a
difference also. The higher the amount of sugar in the marinade, the quicker they will blacken.

Joe Blo wrote:

> I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
> chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I
> would like to use my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home,
> however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine
> solution overnight and pound them flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make
> them taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on the breasts when I cook
> them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line of bottled marinates that are really good? Please
> share your secret methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

It could be that your chicken breasts are dry and flat tasting is that you are over cooking them. If
you want them to be blackened and crispy on the outside, just grill them in the grill pan on top of
the stove.

"Joe Blo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
> chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I
> would like to use my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home,
> however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine
> solution overnight and pound them flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make
> them taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on the breasts when I cook
> them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line of bottled marinates that are really good? Please
> share your secret methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

Sorry to tell you that everything your doing and all you have been told is wrong. Chicken breasts
by themselves should not be marinated for an extended period with any kind of acidic mix like
vinegar or citrus. Thirty minutes is tops. Brining them will not achieve a 'Juicy" breast. Just the
opposite. Pounding them will make them the driest of all and is only for stuffing them with a
greasy filling.

The best way to flavor a chicken breast is to season whole milk with powdered or dried spices,
garlic, onion, peppers, herbs, etc. and soak the breasts tightly covered in the fridge. You can soak
them overnight or leave it two or three days. Make sure to rinse the breasts with plenty of cold
water before soaking. Use only dried or powdered spices or you will sour the milk.

To cook: Put some flour in a shallow dish and season it with salt and pepper. Use a teaspoon of each
for every cup of flour. Dredge the breasts in the flour and lightly dust the chicken, shake to
remove any excess. In a large oven safe skillet, heat clarified butter over medium-high heat. Add
the chicken and sear until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on the top side. Turn and place in preheated
350 degree oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove from the
oven, transfer to a plate. Hints: Turn the oven to 350 first thing. Get the chicken and flour ready
to dredge. Start getting the pan hot on the stovetop before you dust the chicken so you can sear it
as soon as you shake off the excess flour.

Joe Blo wrote:
> I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
> chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull.

Over-cooking is probably an issue here.

I would like to use
> my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home, however I hear that
> the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine solution overnight and
> pound them flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them taste better? How
> can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on the breasts when I cook them in the oven? Can
> anyone recommend a line of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret
> methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

Pineapple juice makes an excellent marinade and the acidic content helps break down the meat. Also
tastes better than lemon juice.

I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven. Perhaps in a cast iron skillet.

Jill

> "jmcquown" writes:
>
>I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven.
>
>Jill

My ex-mil did that all the time.

PENMART01 wrote:
>> "jmcquown" writes:
>>
>> I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven.
>>
>> Jill
>
> My ex-mil did that all the time.
>
> Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

ROFL! Yeah, but this guy wants to do it *on purpose*! I suspect he wants it to look grilled, not
blackened.

Jill

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> PENMART01 wrote:
> >> "jmcquown" writes:
> >>
> >> I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >
> > My ex-mil did that all the time.
> >
> > Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
>
> ROFL! Yeah, but this guy wants to do it *on purpose*! I suspect he wants it to look grilled, not
> blackened.
>
> Jill

My favorite way is to use one of those little electric George Foreman grills ($10 when on sale at
Amazon). Plug in the grill, cut a breast of chicken, drop it on, maybe grind some pepper on top. Let
it heat for about 5 minutes, press down a couple of times. Cook till done. Cleans up REAL easy,
chicken gets "grill marks", quick both in preparation and clean up.

"Joe Blo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill pan in the oven to grill
> chicken breasts that I marinated. However they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I
> would like to use my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I get home,
> however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken breasts is to soak them in a brine
> solution overnight and pound them flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make
> them taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on the breasts when I cook
> them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line of bottled marinates that are really good? Please
> share your secret methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

First, it sounds like you are definitely overcooking the chicken on the grill. You need to make them
as even as possible, thickness-wise, and grill just until cooked through. With boneless skinless
breasts, I generally grill them over a hotter heat because they cook quickly and otherwise wouldn't
have time to get that yummy browning on them. Brining is the best for boneless, skinless
chicken...it makes it tender, flavorful and juicy. You can add spices to the brine for added flavor
too....sage leaves, peppercorns, ancho chiles...it's pretty open. You can also marinate/brine
chicken with salted buttermilk, and you can add spices to that too. Another option is using a
standard oil/acid marinade, such as one containing lemon juice, pineapple juice, tomato juice, etc
and usually an oil, such as olive oil. A favorite of ours is olive oil, lime juice, ancho chili
powder, and onions. However you cook them, do two things: Make sure the thickness is even throughout
as much as possible. You can do this by butterflying or by pounding. Do *not* overcook. Chicken can
still be slightly pink in the center when you take it off the heat as the residual heat completes
the cooking. The juices should run clear. It should feel firm, but not too firm, to the touch. Once
you get a feel for how long to grill/bake/broil/sauté/fry your chicken, you'll be better able to
easily estimate when to remove it from the heat to avoid overcooking. It also helps to start with a
good tasting chicken to begin with. Try getting an organic, free range chicken sometime. It's an
amazing difference.

kimberly