Best way to measure Watts-

Andy Coggan wrote:
> On Dec 3, 3:12 pm, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>the only thing you need if you want to get substantially
>>better is a willingness to endure pain and stare at asphalt for 4 hours
>>a day.

> Is that how you made it up to cat. 1? Oh, right...you were never more
> than pack fodder in local cat. 2 races, and couldn't break the hour in
> a 40 km TT despite all my help. Now maybe if you *had* used a
> powermeter for a few years, you could achieved these goals...
>
> Andy Coggan

Miguel Indurain, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault, Greg LeMond, Chris
Boardman, Obree....none of your heroes used a power meter.

Magilla

Andy Coggan wrote:

> On Dec 3, 5:46 pm, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Bob Schwartz wrote:
>>

>>>http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/schwartzpursuit.png

>>>My very own Chung Chart. Coggan provides a good explanation.

>>>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/e9165fe820602ef4

>>>Bob Schwartz

>> Thanks Bob!
>>
>>Steve

> Ditto!
>
> Andy Coggan

Dude,

I hate to tell you but the only conclusion we came to was that Bob was
easing up in the turns due to inexperience. Because of this noise
factor, I conceded that these graphs do not prove that you go slower in
turns (even though at face value, they show a definitive, consistent
power loss in the turns).

Magilla

In article <[email protected]>, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> Andy Coggan wrote:
> > On Dec 3, 3:12 pm, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>the only thing you need if you want to get substantially
> >>better is a willingness to endure pain and stare at asphalt for 4 hours
> >>a day.

> > Is that how you made it up to cat. 1? Oh, right...you were never more
> > than pack fodder in local cat. 2 races, and couldn't break the hour in
> > a 40 km TT despite all my help. Now maybe if you *had* used a
> > powermeter for a few years, you could achieved these goals...
> >
> > Andy Coggan

> Miguel Indurain, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault, Greg LeMond, Chris
> Boardman, Obree....none of your heroes used a power meter.

For what it's worth, Boardman did use SRM cranks. Just sayin'.

--
tanx,
Howard

Safe when used as directed...

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On Dec 4, 10:24 pm, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> Miguel Indurain, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault, Greg LeMond, Chris
> Boardman, Obree....none of your heroes used a power meter.
>
> Magilla

Although I agree with some of your arguments, please stop using the
one quoted above. It discredits you. Lemond was one of the first
pro's to use a powermeter.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3660

Eddy wasn't riding on Michelin pro race tires. Why are you?

A powermeter is simply another tool to give feedback to the rider. It
is not the silver bullet. My time is up...have fun.

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
> On Dec 3, 4:27 pm, Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> SLAVE of THE STATE schreef:
>>
>>> Don't get wireless -- there will be a built-in error of a few
>>> percent due to background radiation from the big bang.

>> Only for the first three minutes of the race.

> Now I'm thinking about that very annoying sprint to the first
> corner.

Usually, that's the only thing I could win.

On Dec 5, 12:22 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> For all those who think of Andy as God - he's wrong. Ilan is a college
> professor who expects the meter to read correctly. Andy is a far more
> practical person who thinks that inaccuracy is OK as long as it's a
> constant.

but they both need koach kunich to put words in their mouth.

Kyle Legate wrote:
> Usually, that's the only thing I could win.

Team FTL, at least in the first few seconds of the race.

On Dec 3, 1:24 pm, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hopefully the physics mavens can chime in--it has to do with angular
> momentum, but I'm pretty sure Bob is right--of course if power isn't
> added then there will be a marked deceleration coming out of the turn.

But you do that unconciously since the whole idea of racing is to "add
power". You have heard the term, "Accelerating out of the turn"
haven't you?

[email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 3, 1:24 pm, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hopefully the physics mavens can chime in--it has to do with angular
>> momentum, but I'm pretty sure Bob is right--of course if power isn't
>> added then there will be a marked deceleration coming out of the turn.

> But you do that unconciously since the whole idea of racing is to "add
> power". You have heard the term, "Accelerating out of the turn"
> haven't you?

Sure.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

[email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 3, 1:24 pm, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hopefully the physics mavens can chime in--it has to do with angular
>> momentum, but I'm pretty sure Bob is right--of course if power isn't
>> added then there will be a marked deceleration coming out of the turn.

> But you do that unconciously since the whole idea of racing is to "add
> power". You have heard the term, "Accelerating out of the turn"
> haven't you?

Sure.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

On Dec 4, 9:22 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > On Dec 3, 3:39 pm, [email protected] wrote:>

> >> even without any other problem, you have to routinely
> >> send the SRM back for calibration

> > This is not true.

> For all those who think of Andy as God - he's wrong. Ilan is a college
> professor who expects the meter to read correctly. Andy is a far more
> practical person who thinks that inaccuracy is OK as long as it's a
> constant.

The SRM does not need to be sent back routinely for calibration.

On Dec 5, 1:19 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Dec 5, 12:22 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>

> > For all those who think of Andy as God - he's wrong. Ilan is a college
> > professor who expects the meter to read correctly. Andy is a far more
> > practical person who thinks that inaccuracy is OK as long as it's a
> > constant.

> but they both need koach kunich to put words in their mouth.

Indeed.

> On Dec 4, 9:22 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

>> > This is not true.

>> For all those who think of Andy as God - he's wrong. Ilan is a college
>> professor who expects the meter to read correctly. Andy is a far more
>> practical person who thinks that inaccuracy is OK as long as it's a
>> constant.

> The SRM does not need to be sent back routinely for calibration.

And yet two of them will not give you the same answer on the same bike.

On Dec 5, 8:28 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> > The SRM does not need to be sent back routinely for calibration.

> And yet two of them will not give you the same answer on the same bike.

You know this because you've been putting two SRMs on the same bike at
the same time?

rechungREMOVETHIS wrote:
> You know this because you've been putting two SRMs on the same bike at the
> same time?

Must have been a tandem.

On Dec 5, 9:43 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 5, 8:28 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
> > > The SRM does not need to be sent back routinely for calibration.

> > And yet two of them will not give you the same answer on the same bike.

> You know this because you've been putting two SRMs on the same bike at
> the same time?

I know this because SRM says so.

On Dec 6, 6:35 am, [email protected] wrote:

> > > And yet two of them will not give you the same answer on the same bike.

> > You know this because you've been putting two SRMs on the same bike at
> > the same time?

> I know this because SRM says so.

Iran stopped its nuclear weapons program in 2003. I know this because
sixteen American intelligence agencies say so.

On Dec 5, 10:28 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> For all those who think of Andy as God - he's wrong. Ilan is a college
> >> professor who expects the meter to read correctly. Andy is a far more
> >> practical person who thinks that inaccuracy is OK as long as it's a
> >> constant.

> > The SRM does not need to be sent back routinely for calibration.

> And yet two of them will not give you the same answer on the same bike.

They will if properly calibrated (which is something that you can do
yourself).

By way of example: my wife has SRMs on both her road and track bikes.
If you plot her maximal power vs. duration using the two sets of data,
the lines are practically superimposable (i.e., generally within a
watt or two), at least at/across all durations where she has made a
truly maximal effort on each bike.

Andy Coggan