Best way to prohibit corrosion in steel fork steerer

Luke

Guest
The fork in question is an old Raleigh 531 threaded model. My headset
(Shimano XTR) has an O-ring integrated into the locknut, but this is
inadequate. And adjustments in the stem height would render further
sealing, with silicone for instance, ineffective.

Could anyone recommend a coating that wouldn't interfere with the quill
stem?

Thanks

luke

"Luke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:180520042200183407%[email protected]...

> The fork in question is an old Raleigh 531 threaded model. My headset
> (Shimano XTR) has an O-ring integrated into the locknut, but this is
> inadequate. And adjustments in the stem height would render further
> sealing, with silicone for instance, ineffective.
>
> Could anyone recommend a coating that wouldn't interfere with the quill
> stem?
>
> Thanks
>
> luke

You might try what is used for rust prevention in steel frames, Weigel's
Frame Saver. It's common, relatively inexpensive and works very well.

How about a fender? Even one of those stubby little 8" ones would do
wonders.

-Bruce-