Best way to prohibit corrosion in steel fork steerer

Luke

Guest
The fork in question is an old Raleigh 531 threaded model.
My headset (Shimano XTR) has an O-ring integrated into the
locknut, but this is inadequate. And adjustments in the stem
height would render further sealing, with silicone for
instance, ineffective.

Could anyone recommend a coating that wouldn't interfere
with the quill stem?

Thanks

luke

"Luke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:180520042200183407%[email protected]...

> The fork in question is an old Raleigh 531 threaded model.
> My headset (Shimano XTR) has an O-ring integrated into the
> locknut, but this is inadequate. And adjustments in the
> stem height would render further sealing, with silicone
> for instance, ineffective.
>
> Could anyone recommend a coating that wouldn't interfere
> with the quill stem?
>
> Thanks
>
> luke
You might try what is used for rust prevention in steel
frames, Weigel's Frame Saver. It's common, relatively
inexpensive and works very well.

How about a fender? Even one of those stubby little 8" ones
would do wonders.

-Bruce-