best way to remove seatpost shim?

Dan Baker

Guest
I am looking at replacing a seatpost, and it currently has a shim. The shim seems to be stuck in the
seatpost pretty well.... any tips on how to remove it?

thanx,

Dan

So the shim is stuck to the seatpost, not stuck inside the frame? I'd think the easiest way to
loosen it would be to pry it apart a bit at the slot and shoot some penetrating oil into it. Very
unusual for a shim to be so thoroughly stuck to a seatpost that it's a big problem.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

"dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am looking at replacing a seatpost, and it currently has a shim. The shim seems to be stuck in
> the seatpost pretty well.... any tips on how to remove it?
>
> thanx,
>
> Dan

If it stuck IN the seatpost i'd just leave it ;), if it is stuck in the seattube, I'd get it out
with a slidehammer. This can be improvised with a lenght of threaded rod, two nuts with a serious
washer at the shim end, and a nut on the top end. Find something heavy with a hole you can slide up
and down. /Marten