best way to remove seatpost shim?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Baker, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Baker

Dan Baker Guest

I am looking at replacing a seatpost, and it currently has a shim. The shim seems to be stuck in the
    seatpost pretty well.... any tips on how to remove it?

thanx,

Dan

Tags:

2. So the shim is stuck to the seatpost, not stuck inside the frame? I'd think the easiest way to
    loosen it would be to pry it apart a bit at the slot and shoot some penetrating oil into it. Very
    unusual for a shim to be so thoroughly stuck to a seatpost that it's a big problem.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

"dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking at replacing a seatpost, and it currently has a shim. The shim seems to be stuck in
    > the seatpost pretty well.... any tips on how to remove it?
    >
    > thanx,
    >
    > Dan

3. If it stuck IN the seatpost i'd just leave it ;), if it is stuck in the seattube, I'd get it out
    with a slidehammer. This can be improvised with a lenght of threaded rod, two nuts with a serious
    washer at the shim end, and a nut on the top end. Find something heavy with a hole you can slide up
    and down. /Marten

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    >
    > So the shim is stuck to the seatpost, not stuck inside the frame? I'd think the easiest way to
    > loosen it would be to pry it apart a bit at the slot and shoot some penetrating oil into it. Very
    > unusual for a shim to be so thoroughly stuck to a seatpost that it's a big problem.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com
    >
    > "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am looking at replacing a seatpost, and it currently has a shim. The shim seems to be stuck in
    > > the seatpost pretty well.... any tips on how to remove it?
    > >
    > > thanx,
    > >
    > > Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.