best way to remove seatpost shim?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Baker, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    I am looking at replacing a seatpost, and it currently has a shim. The shim seems to be stuck in the
    seatpost pretty well.... any tips on how to remove it?

    thanx,

    Dan

    Tags:

  2. So the shim is stuck to the seatpost, not stuck inside the frame? I'd think the easiest way to
    loosen it would be to pry it apart a bit at the slot and shoot some penetrating oil into it. Very
    unusual for a shim to be so thoroughly stuck to a seatpost that it's a big problem.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

    "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking at replacing a seatpost, and it currently has a shim. The shim seems to be stuck in
    > the seatpost pretty well.... any tips on how to remove it?
    >
    > thanx,
    >
    > Dan

  3. If it stuck IN the seatpost i'd just leave it ;), if it is stuck in the seattube, I'd get it out
    with a slidehammer. This can be improvised with a lenght of threaded rod, two nuts with a serious
    washer at the shim end, and a nut on the top end. Find something heavy with a hole you can slide up
    and down. /Marten