Best way to remove tubular tires?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dan, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How do you remove the glued on tire?
    Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Pull hard. That's it. If you use solvent, you'll ruin the tire. You can use solvent on the bare rim
    to remove the glue if you like and you can use on both if you seriously can't get them off, but the
    tire should be tossed after.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How do you remove the glued on
    > tire? Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Hold the rim in front of you with both of your hands over the top of the tire and use your thumbs
    to break the glue joint and roll the tire off the rim away from you. Start at the position opposite
    the filler.

    If it is the hardening type of glue it may take a heck of a push to break the joint but you
    can do it.

    "dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How
    do
    > you remove the glued on tire? Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

  4. Trdina

    Trdina Guest

    "dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How do you remove the glued on
    > tire? Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

    You've got to yank real hard.

    If you need advice on how that's done, contact [email protected]

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How do you remove the glued on
    > tire? Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

    Sometimes, I find it necessary to use my tire levers to get a spot long enough that I can work off
    with my fingers.

    Be careful to use thin levers (eg. Specialized Pry Babies) and not to rip the base tape.

  6. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

  7. [email protected] (dan) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How do you remove the glued on
    > tire? Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

    If I'm not on the road and in need of a change, I like to separate the tire enough to get a large
    bladed screwdriver between the rim and the tire. I carefully push it far enough in so that the
    cylinder of the screw driver is completely under the tire, then I "roll" it all the way around the
    rim to break the glue joint far enough to pull the remainder off by hand. Works every time.

  8. Everyone so far assumed you want to keep the tire. I carry a pocket knife and cut through a tire I
    know I won't reuse. Comes off real fast when you have a loose end to grab. -Darryl Mataya