Best way to remove tubular tires?

Dan

Guest
I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How do you remove the glued on tire?
Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

Pull hard. That's it. If you use solvent, you'll ruin the tire. You can use solvent on the bare rim
to remove the glue if you like and you can use on both if you seriously can't get them off, but the
tire should be tossed after.

Cheers,

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson

"dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How do you remove the glued on
> tire? Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

Hold the rim in front of you with both of your hands over the top of the tire and use your thumbs
to break the glue joint and roll the tire off the rim away from you. Start at the position opposite
the filler.

If it is the hardening type of glue it may take a heck of a push to break the joint but you
can do it.

"dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How
do
> you remove the glued on tire? Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

"dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How do you remove the glued on
> tire? Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

Sometimes, I find it necessary to use my tire levers to get a spot long enough that I can work off
with my fingers.

Be careful to use thin levers (eg. Specialized Pry Babies) and not to rip the base tape.

[email protected] (dan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have purchased a set of tubular wheels and need some advice. How do you remove the glued on
> tire? Do you have to use solvent? Thanks

If I'm not on the road and in need of a change, I like to separate the tire enough to get a large
bladed screwdriver between the rim and the tire. I carefully push it far enough in so that the
cylinder of the screw driver is completely under the tire, then I "roll" it all the way around the
rim to break the glue joint far enough to pull the remainder off by hand. Works every time.

Everyone so far assumed you want to keep the tire. I carry a pocket knife and cut through a tire I
know I won't reuse. Comes off real fast when you have a loose end to grab. -Darryl Mataya