Best Way To Secure Bike (in Apartment)

topslop1

Jun 22, 2015
So, I live in an apartment complex with some shady characters around that are into drugs. I've had a motorcycle stolen from me in the past (different location), however, I am wary that folks like to steal all sorts of things.

I plan on bringing my bicycle into my apartment and never leaving it outside. Even still, my pattern of working from 8-5 everyday is pretty easy to figure out. What would be the best thing to chain or lock my bicycle to while it is INSIDE of my apartment.

Yes, I am serious.

Thanks guys.

Something that is either permanently affixed and not easy to cut through, like maybe metal pipe, or something extremely heavy and unbreakable without a lot of effort. If they want it bad enough they will figure out a way, but you hopefully could deter a casual thief doing a quick b&e.

Does the apartment have anything like that? Or could you make something out of steel pipe and cement or something?
Or get a good home security system if allowed?

If I were you I would just fix the lock to my bed have have the bike next to the bed so I would have my eye on it 24/7 hehe.

@topslop1, The first line of your post scared me already. The mere mention of shady characters singes my spine and drugs really make me cringe. And to think that your motorcycle had been stolen in that apartment, huh. If I were you, I would buy the folding bike so I could bring it inside the apartment... and have it chained. But for serious security measures, I guess it is better to look for another apartment. We also lived in a drug infested place so I know the hazards posed by those drug users.

Why don't you move? Maybe you could D-Lock it on a radiator pipe until you move. :D

My super used to let me store mine in the laundry room. I guess u have no basement or balcony space. Perhaps wall mounts? Seinfeld always had a bike hung on his wall. If u leave it out regularly, it will get taken. Even if not to be used just because people like to take ****. If u have to leave it out, get it covered under renters insurance policy and remove wheels and the seat when u go in.

Here, where I currently live, everyone has bars in front of their windows and doors, and people literally park their cars in their lounge rooms to protect them from being stolen. How about a security camera? A security alarm? And what about paying someone a small fee to look after your bike while you are gone. It's quite common here. You can't leave your bike on the street without someone guarding it while you enter a shop.
Perhaps there is a trustworthy person in your building or nearby who is at home during the day, and who wouldn't mind having your bike parked inside their apartment for a few dollars.

How would I chain my bike while it is inside of the apartment? I think I would chain it to the main post of my bed. Or perhaps leave it in your closet, padlock the closet, then padlock your bedroom door. That seems to be the best way to do it actually.

Dobermans. A whole pack of them. Don't feed them too often so they are on the hungry side. Then nature will take over whenever some miscreant breaks in. And if neighbors or the landlord complain about your having pets against the terms of your lease, well, invite them in to see your "nice doggies" and "resolve" that situation as well.

Just kidding. Actually I knew one Doberman in my life, my B-I-L's dog sweetest most gentle loving dog you could want, unfortunately ran out in the road and got killed.

ZXD22 said:
If I were you I would just fix the lock to my bed have have the bike next to the bed so I would have my eye on it 24/7 hehe.
The funny thing is, I know of a guy who does this haha.
MotownBikeBoy said:
Dobermans. A whole pack of them. Don't feed them too often so they are on the hungry side. Then nature will take over whenever some miscreant breaks in. And if neighbors or the landlord complain about your having pets against the terms of your lease, well, invite them in to see your "nice doggies" and "resolve" that situation as well.

Just kidding. Actually I knew one Doberman in my life, my B-I-L's dog sweetest most gentle loving dog you could want, unfortunately ran out in the road and got killed.
I don't get why people don't like Doberman or Pit Bulls. They're both so freaking adorable.

Reputation rather than experience. Pit Bulls especially because the tragedies involving them make the news (other breeds too, such as the San Francisco case a few years back involving Canine de Corso dogs).

Kinda like people who fear flying, they fixate on the few tragedies and worse case scenarios and disregard the uneventful daily existence of 99.9999% of flights (and dogs).

Personally I would never own a pit bull, bulldog of any breed, mastiff, or some other breeds along those lines just because, well, I know I will offend someone here - they are ugly! Worse yet, pugs! Hideous things. Affenpinscher too, remind me of the flying monkeys chasing after Dorothy and Toto.

MotownBikeBoy said:
Personally I would never own a pit bull, bulldog of any breed, mastiff, or some other breeds along those lines just because, well, I know I will offend someone here - they are ugly!

Amen. :D Bulldogs are kinda funny... :) But they are noisy. :D

I have a simple solution. Take off one or both wheels and affix those to some structure inside the house. Then do the same for the remaining bike frame. You could even remove the saddle and hide that somewhere, too. If someone wants to break in and steal your bike, then make it difficult for them to find all the pieces!

Wow, I feel really grateful to live in a small town where I can park my bike in my yard unchained! There are drugs here with everywhere, but my neighborhood is safe. What about chaining it to a radiator? If you have a heavy entertainment center or armoir, you could chain it to that.

You better keep it in your house for safety reasons. You will not want to dare keeping it outside since it might be stollen. I park mine outside the room, since there are no thieves around. You may also want to chain it on something outside your room using a padlock as long as you secure it.

Chain it to your large mean dog.
If you don't have a large, mean dog to chain it to then maybe get one of those.
No one will ever break into your apartment then.

I personally would not worry about chaining my bike to anything while It is in my apartment. If my bike can't be safe while it is inside my apartment, then nothing else in my apartment is safe. It would mean that I have rented a very unsafe apartment and I need to relocate.

BikeBikeBikeBike said:
Chain it to your large mean dog.
If you don't have a large, mean dog to chain it to then maybe get one of those.
No one will ever break into your apartment then.
Indeed I would suggest getting a dog. If not, then don't leave your bike at your apartment. Leave it with a friend or family who will be home all day.

gavinfree said:
I have a simple solution. Take off one or both wheels and affix those to some structure inside the house. Then do the same for the remaining bike frame. You could even remove the saddle and hide that somewhere, too. If someone wants to break in and steal your bike, then make it difficult for them to find all the pieces!
I was going to mention this too, it's not uncommon where I live for people to remove the saddle from their bike and take it with them when they leave their bike locked up.

I think the main thing to figure out with something like this is, what would make it more trouble than it's worth to take your bike? People ****** bikes because it's usually pretty quick and convenient to get away with. Most people just have a basic lock or none at all and it's easy to walk off with an unencumbered bike without attracting attention. I would try to find something that's a really obvious visual deterrent, like a heavy duty U-lock or a padlock, so anyone looking knows right away that it won't be easy to walk away with.

Also, what I used to do when I lived in a sketchy area...get a sticker from a friend who has home security and put it up in your window, and go to the thrift store and find the biggest pair of work boots you possibly can to keep outside your door. It's goofy, but I'm only half joking. No one trying to break in wants any trouble, so whatever you can do to make it look like a challenge helps.

Reactions: dongdongduanduan