Best way to stay hydrated

cyclintom

Jan 15, 2011
Since I recovered from my concussion one of the weak points in my riding is staying hydrated. Now drinking water isn't good enough because sweat contains sodium and potassium and you have to replace those in order to absorb the water effectively. On long rides you also need additional nutrition even though on centuries you stop at "fueling" stations.

Now there are supermarket shelves stocked with a dozen different "athletic drinks" but I seem to recall that most of them contain too much sugar and other nutrients that slow absorption of the most important component - water.

What experience have you people had with this sort of thing - and yeah, you too Bob. Even though you have a big mouth don't think I don't respect your opinions when you aren't going off into the stratosphere with the belief that an improvement of 8 or 9% isn't worthwhile.

Replacing electrolytes other than sodium while riding is not necessary on most rides, as the others (potassium, magnesium, etc.) aren't in high enough concentration in sweat to require replenishment other than through normal eating (unless you have a chronic deficiency, which can only be determined by a doctor). On long and/or hot rides, your food consumption should include items that are high in sodium. You will not get enough through any commercial "electrolyte drink", because making them salty enough would also render them undrinkable (would you drink your own sweat?). The drinks won't hurt, but they aren't enough to meet your body's needs.

The typical stuff you find in a convenience store (Gatorade, Powerade) also have too much sugar in them for your body to absorb them quickly, which can lead to gastric distress. You may find that you have to drink water with them to dilute them in order to avoid stomach problems.

The RoadBikeRider newsletter recently had a couple of articles about cramping that also have quite a bit of good information about hydration and electrolytes in general. These cite peer-reviewed, scientific studies conducted by real researchers, not supplement companies trying to sell you something by making bogus claims and citing unreliable data. The articles debunk a lot of common myths and are well worth reading.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/newsletter-issue-no-812/

https://www.roadbikerider.com/newsletter-issue-no-813/

Last edited:
Replacing electrolytes other than sodium while riding is not necessary on most rides, as the others (potassium, magnesium, etc.) aren't in high enough concentration in sweat to require replenishment other than through normal eating (unless you have a chronic deficiency, which can only be determined by a doctor). On long and/or hot rides, your food consumption should include items that are high in sodium. You will not get enough through any commercial "electrolyte drink", because making them salty enough would also render them undrinkable (would you drink your own sweat?). The drinks won't hurt, but they aren't enough to meet your body's needs.

The typical stuff you find in a convenience store (Gatorade, Powerade) also have too much sugar in them for your body to absorb them quickly, which can lead to gastric distress. You may find that you have to drink water with them to dilute them in order to avoid stomach problems.

The RoadBikeRider newsletter recently had a couple of articles about cramping that also have quite a bit of good information about hydration and electrolytes in general. These cite peer-reviewed, scientific studies conducted by real researchers, not supplement companies trying to sell you something by making bogus claims and citing unreliable data. The articles debunk a lot of common myths and are well worth reading.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/newsletter-issue-no-812/

https://www.roadbikerider.com/newsletter-issue-no-813/
On one long ride I tried Red Bull. I was sort of surprised at how rapidly it started effecting me, reducing my fatigue. But It didn't last long. I usually don't have gastric distress any time I'm riding.

I have pretty much a "cast-iron stomach" and don't have problems on the bike, either, but some people are more sensitive. As for Red Bull and other "energy drinks", I wouldn't use that **** if they gave it to me for free! Read the label and see what they're mega-dosing you with, and you might think twice, too. On top of that, it tastes like ****, in my opinion.

I have pretty much a "cast-iron stomach" and don't have problems on the bike, either, but some people are more sensitive. As for Red Bull and other "energy drinks", I wouldn't use that **** if they gave it to me for free! Read the label and see what they're mega-dosing you with, and you might think twice, too. On top of that, it tastes like ****, in my opinion.
Red Bull contains caffeine, taurine, B vitamins (B3, B5, B6, B12) and simple sugars (sucrose and glucose) in a buffer solution of carbonated water, baking soda and magnesium carbonate.

The amount of caffeine is about the same as one weak cup of coffee and none of the other components are in any way harmful. The vitamins are less than the daily recommended amount since everyone has the idea now that mega-dosing with vitamins is bad for you. The level of sugars is small soas to speed absorption. It seems to be the latest fad to be slamming Red Bull when it is a fairly harmless substance and as I said, I was surprised at how rapidly it went into my system.

Moreover it is commonly available from any 7-11 when other drinks are FAR worse for you.

My mistake, I was confusing Red Bull with garbage like "5-Hour Energy" and other products of that ilk.

I still think Red Bull tastes horrible, but that's obviously a personal preference (some people actually don't like beer; can you believe it?). I've known several people who were seriously addicted to the Red Bull and "chain-drank" it every day. In fairness, they probably would have been addicted to coffee if Red Bull wasn't around.

And yes, you can certainly do a lot worse at a convenience store. If I need something more than water on a ride, I'll grab an iced tea, or both water and an energy drink, so I can dilute it to make it more palatable.