Best Way to Transport a Tandem Trike?

Tyrannosaurus VRex

Guest
My wife and I have been considering the purchase of a tandem trike,
since I ride a lot and she wants to be able to join me on rides (and
she has some balance problems so a trad tandem 'bent is out of the
question). Up until a few months ago we owned a VW Vanagon that we
could fit a lot of long payloads into, but we sold it.

I guess my big question is what you folks consider the best way to
transport a tandem trike. I've considered a trailer to put the bike on,
but that solution is pretty expensive - it almost doubles the cost of
the purchase! When you're looking at a 10' long trike, it doesn't seem
like it's exactly easy to get it from place to place...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

"Tyrannosaurus VRex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My wife and I have been considering the purchase of a tandem trike,
> since I ride a lot and she wants to be able to join me on rides (and
> she has some balance problems so a trad tandem 'bent is out of the
> question). Up until a few months ago we owned a VW Vanagon that we
> could fit a lot of long payloads into, but we sold it.
>
> I guess my big question is what you folks consider the best way to
> transport a tandem trike. I've considered a trailer to put the bike on,
> but that solution is pretty expensive - it almost doubles the cost of
> the purchase! When you're looking at a 10' long trike, it doesn't seem
> like it's exactly easy to get it from place to place...
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Steve

You may regret selling your van before you are done with this. For a start
look into a tandem trike with S&S couplers to break it down into two pieces
for transport. Then figure out the best way to deal with two pieces.

I have a deluxe enclosed aluminum trailer designed to transport tandems
for sale - write for photos and price if you are interested. This is a
really classy trailer, and I am selling it for half off.

Peter
[email protected]

Steve, We have a Greenspeed GTT and we transport it in the back of our
Chevy Avalanche. It also fits in my long bed F -150 My tike has the
couplings but trust me don't use those unless it's a must, there a pain
in the you know what.

Ric

Tyrannosaurus VRex wrote:
> My wife and I have been considering the purchase of a tandem trike,
> since I ride a lot and she wants to be able to join me on rides (and
> she has some balance problems so a trad tandem 'bent is out of the
> question). Up until a few months ago we owned a VW Vanagon that we
> could fit a lot of long payloads into, but we sold it.
>
> I guess my big question is what you folks consider the best way to
> transport a tandem trike. I've considered a trailer to put the bike
> on, but that solution is pretty expensive - it almost doubles the
> cost of the purchase! When you're looking at a 10' long trike, it
> doesn't seem like it's exactly easy to get it from place to place...

I've seen one being transported on a small boat trailer, while a friend used
to transport a fully-faired trike - probably not much smaller than a
tandem - on a motorcycle trailer. I imagine that either of these could be
had second-hand for not a huge amount of money.

Ha ha, you fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders!
The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia"

Originally Posted by Pete Lewis .

I have a deluxe enclosed aluminum trailer designed to transport tandems
for sale - write for photos and price if you are interested. This is a
really classy trailer, and I am selling it for half off.

Peter
peter, would you mind posting a photo of it here?