best way to wash your bike?

Wisch5200

Jul 1, 2006
I prefer just using a damp cloth, and some soapy water with auto wash in it. Any one do it another way? and reasons?

Glass cleaner on a cloth works for me.

What really helps is to keep a coat of auto wax on the paint. And use wax (like zymol), not the polymer stuff, so a layer gets built up. Dirt doesn't stick to wax very well.

Wisch5200 said:
I prefer just using a damp cloth, and some soapy water with auto wash in it. Any one do it another way? and reasons?
I use a garden pump up pressure sprayer to rinse of my bike after each ride, the terrain i ride varies from mud, soft sand and gravel. I add a cap of motorcar cleaner/wax in the mix this protects the frame and the dirt seems to work off easier.Remeber to drain the cavities on the bike water gets into the frame and headset so stand the bike on end/side to side.

HowardSteele said:
I use a garden pump up pressure sprayer to rinse of my bike after each ride, the terrain i ride varies from mud, soft sand and gravel. I add a cap of motorcar cleaner/wax in the mix this protects the frame and the dirt seems to work off easier.Remeber to drain the cavities on the bike water gets into the frame and headset so stand the bike on end/side to side.
I've been using a 5cm wide long bristle paint brush moist with spray-on automotive wax. After I stipple the area's that are dirty, I wipe with a clean cotton cloth that has been moistened with the same wax. It is fast, easy and clean.

I would stay away from any pressurised water to clean my bike. On both my roadie and especially my MTB I use an air compressor to clean off the dirt/mud, then a damp cloth. Love your bearings.

Howard, thanks for the garden sprayer tip. I think that may improve my options in winter when the garden hose is not available. I am mostly interested on getting my drive train clean every few weeks, and do it with a Frontline chain washer gizmo filled with Simple Green (biodegradable detergent). But, you need to rinse it off, and the hose not such a good option in the winter where I live and commute. Ozelise, I have also heard that pressurized water can bring grit into the bearings. I was advised to use a water "trickle" rather than spray, and this seems to me not much more risk than routine road spray when commuting on a rainy day. Also, don't you think an air compressor might similarly move grit into the bearings?

chero