Best way to wash your bike

HandyAndy

Jul 29, 2003
Hey guys.Just wondering what your favoutire techniques/products are that you use to wash your bike.There are so many lubes and cleaners out there.Is a wax lube any good in winter rain etc?

Oh and heres a question for you....Whats the best way to clean carbon fibre?Is there anything you can put on carbon fibre to protect it from scratches etc?

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Hey guys.Just wondering what your favoutire techniques/products are that you use to wash your bike.There are so many lubes and cleaners out there.Is a wax lube any good in winter rain etc?

Oh and heres a question for you....Whats the best way to clean carbon fibre?Is there anything you can put on carbon fibre to protect it from scratches etc?

Since I live in Florida my bike never really gets very dirty. So about once a month I wipe it down with Pledge or J wax. I'm sure any furniture polish would do. If a bead of sweat hits the frame it rolls off better. Plus the polish helps keep the dust and dirt off and is non abrasive.
As for chain lube, Tri Flow is what I use.
BQ

Originally posted by HandyAndy

A good place to start:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/BCB4.shtml
and for Sheldon's chain information:
http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Your bicycle manual will help with any specifics on protecting carbon fiber.
A good quality auto wax specified as safe for Corvettes should help protect a little.
TREK cautions:
When cleaning frame parts, do not use solvents
or harsh chemicals. Remove road film with a soft
rag and a mild detergent and water solution. Use
of industrial solvents for cleaning or paint removal
may damage the paint.