Best Wheels for climbing

Bruce L

Dec 31, 2003
What do you think are the best wheels for climbing. What criteria are you using?? ie weight, stiffness etc.

Originally posted by Bruce L
What do you think are the best wheels for climbing. What criteria are you using?? ie weight, stiffness etc.

Campy Hyperion or Reynolds Stratus DV Carbon are 2 good choices

I guess depends on what price range you're talking about. But for less than $700 (or even at $600) my vote would be the American Classics 350 and 420, that is if you weight less than 180 lbs.
I own a set of the 420 and they're very light at 1420g. Climbs very well.

Filling wheels with hydrogen is unecessary. As for low body weight; Indurain was a big bloke yet held is own in the mountains. It's all to do with power to weight ratio rather than just being the lightest rider. There are very small riders in my club who are useless at climbing despite having light equipment.

I have been using a pair of Topolino's on my climbing bike. These are 1400g/pair and DO NOT have a weight limit. Very sturdy wheels that spin-up very quickly. I put a Veloflex Record (130g) on the fron wheel, a Veloflex Pave (180g) on the rear and a set of Continental Supersponic tubes (50g/each) on these wheels. The total weight is hard to beat. I ride Ksyriums SSCs on my second bike and rate the Topos at least as stiff!