Best winter cycling jacket

Mark

Guest
Hi,

I'd like to invest in a good waterproof, breathable, light and warm
jacket for those long rides i'll be taking in the cold, wind and
rain...

Ideally I'd get a jacket that could also be worn walking and in other
off-the bike circumstances without making me look like too more of a
plonker than I already am... (i.e. if it's got a dove-tail, it needs to
be a fold-up one, if it's lumo yellow, it needs to be reversible :)

I'm think the £100-£200 will get me something a cut above, no?
Perhaps some fancy Gore-tex XCR or something?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers!
Mark.

There's not one answer.

The best jacket is a Nikwax Paramo. These are very breathable and
totally waterproof, BUT they are bulky, though light. Not something to
put in your panniers. I have one and it's terrific.

An alternative is a good shell hillwalking jacket.
I currently use a Lowe Pro Triple ceramic hill-walking coat with
underarm vents etc. Any only of these, or Goretex should to the trick.

I used to have a Ventile jacket, but they are not the great shakes
they're made out to be.

My advice,

whatever you get get one with a hood. Nothing keeps you are warm as a
good hood when it's freezing.

....and if you're interested in the Paclite and happen to be near the Lake
District, there's a shop in Keswick where I've seperately bought bothe the
Paclite jacket and overtrousers, both at reduced price. Nobody else seems to
be selling them at below RRP!

you can email me on simon at mcmenzie dot com and
I'll dig out details of the shop.

Happy to help,

Simon Mc.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
You could do worse than a Goretex Paclite for £99.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/Cat/112552?Ref=

Only in black so adding a hi vis waistcoat migght be required for
winter on road visibility but a walking jacket getting used for cycling
may work better than the other way round.

Iain

Try the Storm Trooper from http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/
I know they are along way away but everything I have had from them has
arrived in less than a week and is of the highest quality.
Highly recommended.
Regards
SW

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
Hi,

I'd like to invest in a good waterproof, breathable, light and warm
jacket for those long rides i'll be taking in the cold, wind and
rain...

Ideally I'd get a jacket that could also be worn walking and in other
off-the bike circumstances without making me look like too more of a
plonker than I already am... (i.e. if it's got a dove-tail, it needs to
be a fold-up one, if it's lumo yellow, it needs to be reversible :)

I'm think the £100-£200 will get me something a cut above, no?
Perhaps some fancy Gore-tex XCR or something?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers!
Mark.

Is it a good idea to wear a waterproof jacket all the time? Their
"breathing" powers are limited, really.

~PB

Hello again - thanks for the tips!

I've actually been trying on both Cycle and Walking jackets since my
post, and have come to the conclusion that a good Cycle Gore-Tex style
shell jacket will suit me best for cycling and Walking, rather than the
other way around... There are some nice non-lumo ones with reflective
piping that would be ok for walking.

But for one thing... I'm quite tall and slim, so seem to fit a medium
round the chest, but need a large (or x-large) lengthwise. I've tried
Endura and Freestyle so far, but neither are the ideal fit.

I wonder if anyone can help me in this direction?

Thanks,
Mark.

On 19 Sep 2005 16:43:09 -0700, Mark wrote:

> But for one thing... I'm quite tall and slim, so seem to fit a medium
> round the chest, but need a large (or x-large) lengthwise. I've tried
> Endura and Freestyle so far, but neither are the ideal fit.
>
> I wonder if anyone can help me in this direction?

They're not widely stocked, but I've got an Odin jacket from Keela
<www.keela.co.uk> (look under "waterproofs", "multi-activity") that I find
does the job very well. I'm also tall and slim (though gradually getting
less of the latter) and the fit is pretty good.

I must admit to being a friend of the owners of the company [1] and having
more Keela gear than is probably healthy (or of use here in Australia), but
that is mainly because the price/performance is so good and I'd rather not
pay over the odds for having a name such as Goretex or Berghaus plastered
all over me.

Graeme

[1] Which came in very handy as they provided the insulated breathable
membrane lining for the capes for my wife and the bridesmaids at our
wedding. Sounds overkill, but it was an outdoor wedding in January
<http://gpdods.com/wedding/pictures/7l.jpg>

Graeme

The site is not maintained by him and has his old email address
unfortunately , although he did reply to me eventually. His new address is
JROBIN1836-this needs [email protected] please remove the dash's and the
words in between them. He sends a PDF file by email , be warned it is 7mb !
Paul

news:[email protected]...

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:58:14 +0000 (UTC), paul needham wrote:

> Graeme
>
> The site is not maintained by him and has his old email address
> unfortunately , although he did reply to me eventually. His new address is
> JROBIN1836-this needs [email protected] please remove the dash's and the
> words in between them. He sends a PDF file by email , be warned it is 7mb !
> Paul

Thanks for that Paul, I'll get on to him right away. 7MB you say, pah,
that's what 8Mb ADSL is for, I've downloaded about 3 or 4GB of data so far
today :)

Graeme