??Best XC MTB tire

MGSuarez

Feb 20, 2003
What do you guys use for racing?? Something nice and light. I will be racing the Big Bear races this season in SoCal. Right now I am using the WTB Nanoraptor 2.1 510 grams. I like this tire but was wondering what was out there a bit lighter. Ideas please?? thanks

What are the trail conditions? I raced on Hutchinson Python Airlites for hardpack fast courses and Hutchinon Mosquito Airlites for everything else last season, light, good snakebite protection at most reasonable pressures, and low rolling resistance.

I use mainly Michelin Comp S tires for most conditions. I find it one of the best all around tires. For very dry hardpack I'll use Hutchinson Pythons. Both of them in 2.0 size and the Tubeless versions. I will ocasionally use Specialized Rockster S-Works 1.9's, they are fairly similar to pythons in tread and performance but slightly light although a bit more fragile and shorter lasting.

Python Airlights for hardpack (that's all we have down here). Lightweight and roll well. Grip well on the corners too with a very predictable washout.

I had Maxxis high roller type Rs and they were really fast on smooth trails but very scary on rocks or even the slightest hint of sand

Now i run a panaracer fire XC pro up front and a Ritchey Elevader on the rear. I got both tyres pretty cheap and they grip really well, especially the panaracer

but then it might not be the lightest tyre out there