Bestes-est Carbon Frames

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
A shop stool might still invite failure. Better turn it into a lamp!

Hmmmm? I wonder if the new carbon fiber Peugeots are anything more than a pretty face?

UD monocoque carbon frame?

Does it sound like a contractor deal with a Chinese factory with Peugeot Decals to anybody else too?

Btw this particular frame with the bent top tube is not on their website... Where is the photo from? Peugeot-gossip.com?
big-smile.png

The pic comes from Peugeot's Design Lab. Zee Franch...zey have zee deezigns!

http://www.peugeotdesignlab.com/en/projets-2/bikes?view=produit&id=125

But zey vould never use a Chinageot frame! Never! Zat eez vhy zey have le laboritorie!

In the worker's paradise France of 1972, that thing would had a sloppy paint job, carbon gaps everywhere, a seam showing on the rear of the fork legs, cheap decals that flaked off while sitting on the showroom and been delivered with the same crappy Hutchinsons used today. Union labor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
The pic comes from Peugeot's Design Lab. Zee Franch...zey have zee deezigns!

http://www.peugeotdesignlab.com/en/projets-2/bikes?view=produit&id=125

But zey vould never use a Chinageot frame! Never! Zat eez vhy zey have le laboritorie!

big-smile.png

0.jpg

"Shadows of Paris" :
big-smile.png

0.jpg

I refuse to destroy my memories by dredging up a recent pic of her. Oh hell...why not?

Fantasy...

Reality...

How I remember her...

Check out Guru bikes. I picked up a Photon frame and SRAM Red groupset from their factory sale. Here's the result.

Total cost of the finished bike is less than most of the superbike frames.

Well, she has to be closing in on 80, after all. Early to mid 20s with Sellers, I imagine, and that was 50 years ago.

Now we can re-title the thread "Breast-est carbon frames".

Quote by mpre53:
"Breast-est carbon frames".

<golf clap> well done, sir, well done!

Thanks

The groupset is 2013 Red 10 speed. It was a pristine "demo" groupset that I picked up for under a grand. Part of the "economy build". Same with the Ardennes wheelset - half price. A new Guru Photon with Ultegra mechanical groupset and cheap Shimano wheelset starts at $6100. My build came was $2000 less. All the components are top drawer - Thomson KFC bars, X2 stem, Masterpiece seatpost, and clamp. Fizik Arione carbon rail saddle. Careful shopping on the internet!

Originally Posted by Jimbo S
Thanks

The groupset is 2013 Red 10 speed. It was a pristine "demo" groupset that I picked up for under a grand. Part of the "economy build". Same with the Ardennes wheelset - half price. A new Guru Photon with Ultegra mechanical groupset and cheap Shimano wheelset starts at $6100. My build came was $2000 less. All the components are top drawer - Thomson KFC bars, X2 stem, Masterpiece seatpost, and clamp. Fizik Arione carbon rail saddle. Careful shopping on the internet!
Good job. LOVE that stem!

Check out Guru bikes.
Hey Fanks...
wink.png

That looks real nice actually... I had a look yesterday and they seem goood, especially the Photon SR or something (the extra rigid, 70gram heavier, one).

The company seems well nice and honest too...

But... The customs in EU are probably gonna charge the 20% tax if I get it with a recorded delivery and if I dont get it with a recorded delivery... Well I don’t even wanna know what’s its gonna happen.
big-smile.png

Guru was purchased by the Dorel group, a Canadian conglomerate that also owns Cannondale. The purchase was made to acquire the "Guru Experience" bit fitting system. Dorel has let the former owners continue to operate the bicycle manufacturing part of the business without interference. The carbon tubing is fabricated in house in Montreal. Check it out.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/12/11/factory-tour-guru-cycles-part-2-building-a-carbon-bicycle-frame/

Guru still has some older model Photon frame/forks (an Enve fork) for sale at Cdn$1900 a pop. The cheapest of the new Photons is Cdn$4500 for frame and fork. From what I can tell they have changed the shape of the tubing a bit and have internal cable routing. Not enough difference for me to pay the difference!

http://www.gurucycles.com/2013sale

Is the tax VAT or duty? In my part of the world we pay the equivalent of 15% VAT. Sometimes online purchases from out of the country can be shipped using the postal service without attracting the tax. However packages as large as a bike frame or wheelset seldom slip through.

Guru was purchased by the Dorel group, a Canadian conglomerate that also owns Cannondale. The purchase was made to acquire the "Guru Experience" bit fitting system. Dorel has let the former owners continue to operate the bicycle manufacturing part of the business without interference. The carbon tubing is fabricated in house in Montreal. Check it out.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/12/11/factory-tour-guru-cycles-part-2-building-a-carbon-bicycle-frame/

Guru still has some older model Photon frame/forks (an Enve fork) for sale at Cdn$1900 a pop. The cheapest of the new Photons is Cdn$4500 for frame and fork. From what I can tell they have changed the shape of the tubing a bit and have internal cable routing. Not enough difference for me to pay the difference!

http://www.gurucycles.com/2013sale

Is the tax VAT or duty? In my part of the world we pay the equivalent of 15% VAT. Sometimes online purchases from out of the country can be shipped using the postal service without attracting the tax. However packages as large as a bike frame or wheelset seldom slip through.
Yeah I checked it the day before and noticed that they build everything in house with quality materials... The Columbus steel and Titanium frames look pretty cool too! But I was mainly checking the Carbon stuff...

Its only that putty part that I kinda have thoughts about but other companies are using pre epoxy'd carbon layers for joints which might be even worst...

Its really nice that they don't leave anything inside like bladders etc...

That would explain why they have a fat guy on a Cannondale advertising the fitting system.
big-smile.png

Its Tax VAT. Its around 20% around here. Basically my 2013 Allez was advertized as 770USD in the Specialized US website. I paid 770euro for it to get it from here. Same with Giant bikes. A 600euro Giant bike in Taiwan costs around 800euro here. There are a few local carbon manufacturers and you get a much better deal from them for a complete bike compared to some of the overseas builders.

I remember when I bought a Seiko watch online from Asia some years ago. The watch costed 150euro and it was another 10 to get it shipped here with a courier service. I could also get it with plain post but I didn't want to risk it. I ended up paying another 100 euro
big-smile.png
for getting it through customs, 30 euro or something for tax and another 70 for the courier service's lawyers fee!
big-smile.png
Unless I wanted to travel 600km to go to the customs goods warehouse where they kept the watch hostage to pay just the 30euro...
big-smile.png