Better Choice for Touring Rims?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by JJ, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Having just read the recent post about cracks developing in Mavic MA-3 rims,
    I'm re-thinking my decision to use them for the touring wheelset I'm
    currently building. I just happen to have a brand new pair of Mavix CXP-22
    rims laying around, and they seem to be heavier/beefier than the MA-3's.
    Would the CXP-22's be a better choice?

    Thanks,
    -Jeff
     
    Tags:


  2. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    I don't think MA-3's are particularly good or anything, but I think I'm
    noticing something of a contradiction between the rap they've been
    getting here lately and the number of people I know who seem to be
    running well-built MA-3 wheels without incident. Does anyone know if
    mavic ever changed their design/construction at all?

    Don't have any actual experience with CXP-22's (ie, don't know if they
    crack), but I'm pretty sure they're like 19-20mm wide, which isn't so
    great if you want to run wide tires.
     
  3. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't think MA-3's are particularly good or anything, but I think I'm
    > noticing something of a contradiction between the rap they've been
    > getting here lately and the number of people I know who seem to be
    > running well-built MA-3 wheels without incident. Does anyone know if
    > mavic ever changed their design/construction at all?
    >
    > Don't have any actual experience with CXP-22's (ie, don't know if they
    > crack), but I'm pretty sure they're like 19-20mm wide, which isn't so
    > great if you want to run wide tires.


    They backed off on the amount of hard anodizing.
    Nevertheless they deserve all the scorn we can heap on
    them for the disservice they did to bicyclists, and
    retribution in the form of buying rims from other makers.

    --
    Michael Press
     
  4. JJ wrote:
    > Having just read the recent post about cracks developing in Mavic MA-3 rims,
    > I'm re-thinking my decision to use them for the touring wheelset I'm
    > currently building. I just happen to have a brand new pair of Mavix CXP-22
    > rims laying around, and they seem to be heavier/beefier than the MA-3's.
    > Would the CXP-22's be a better choice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Jeff


    CXP-22 are on;y 32 hole until 2006. 32 is too few spokes for a touring
    wheel, Using any rim. Look for a 36h, like Mavic A719 or Velocity Dyad
    or Deep V...
     
  5. Nate Knutson wrote:
    > I don't think MA-3's are particularly good or anything, but I think I'm
    > noticing something of a contradiction between the rap they've been
    > getting here lately and the number of people I know who seem to be
    > running well-built MA-3 wheels without incident. Does anyone know if
    > mavic ever changed their design/construction at all?


    After the initial problems, they said they went to a harder aluminum
    but we didn't try any of them.
    >
    > Don't have any actual experience with CXP-22's (ie, don't know if they
    > crack), but I'm pretty sure they're like 19-20mm wide, which isn't so
    > great if you want to run wide tires.


    20mm, fine for 38mm tires-
     
  6. Michael Press wrote:
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I don't think MA-3's are particularly good or anything, but I think I'm
    > > noticing something of a contradiction between the rap they've been
    > > getting here lately and the number of people I know who seem to be
    > > running well-built MA-3 wheels without incident. Does anyone know if
    > > mavic ever changed their design/construction at all?
    > >
    > > Don't have any actual experience with CXP-22's (ie, don't know if they
    > > crack), but I'm pretty sure they're like 19-20mm wide, which isn't so
    > > great if you want to run wide tires.

    >
    > They backed off on the amount of hard anodizing.
    > Nevertheless they deserve all the scorn we can heap on
    > them for the disservice they did to bicyclists, and
    > retribution in the form of buying rims from other makers.


    Silvers were not 'hard anodized'. Silver pulled eyelets out just as
    readily as the CD-grey ones. The color comes from the chemical process,
    hence the color.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Press
     
  7. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > CXP-22 are on;y 32 hole until 2006. 32 is too few spokes for a touring
    > wheel, Using any rim. Look for a 36h, like Mavic A719 or Velocity Dyad
    > or Deep V...
    >


    I'll cast my vote for the Ambrosio Excursion (non-machined) or Evolution
    (machined). I just got a set of Excursions dirt cheap off of eBay and
    they're working great as cyclocross wheels. Evolutions are about the same
    price as MA3s.

    http://www.ital-tecno.com/shopexd.asp?id=513

    -Hank
     
  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    JJ wrote:
    > Having just read the recent post about cracks developing in Mavic MA-3 rims,
    > I'm re-thinking my decision to use them for the touring wheelset I'm
    > currently building. I just happen to have a brand new pair of Mavix CXP-22
    > rims laying around, and they seem to be heavier/beefier than the MA-3's.
    > Would the CXP-22's be a better choice?


    I don't think it makes much sense to worry about rim weight for a loaded
    touring bike. Just go with something heavy and bullet-proof. If you're
    going to stick with Mavic, why not use the rims they designate for
    touring? The A719 isn't a great rim, especially for the price, but it's OK.
     
  9. i read mavic offers a 35c rim for 35c trekking tires. if not cafe gt
    touring but running a 32 front then the 35 rim is more reliable with
    the 35 or 38 tire
     
  10. I'm the OP whose MA3 cracked. MA3s for touring? Don't do it.

    I wouldn't bother with an MA3 for any useage on any bicycle - there's
    no need to because there other rims on the market. And CXP-22s aren't
    touring rims either. Use a double-eyeleted touring specific rim.

    * 36 spokes please *

    - Bernie Sluzalek
     
  11. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Nate Knutson wrote:
    >
    > I don't think MA-3's are particularly good or anything, but I think I'm
    > noticing something of a contradiction between the rap they've been
    > getting here lately and the number of people I know who seem to be
    > running well-built MA-3 wheels without incident.


    If you ride gently on good surfaces, don't weigh much, and don't carry
    heavy stuff on the bike, you can run pretty much whatever rims you
    want.

    The Alex Adventurer is the best touring rim I've found in 700c lately.
    It's inexpensive, too. If I could get it in 48 hole drilling, I'd use
    it for all my road bikes.

    Chalo Colina
     
  12. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm the OP whose MA3 cracked. MA3s for touring? Don't do it.
    >
    > I wouldn't bother with an MA3 for any useage on any bicycle - there's
    > no need to because there other rims on the market. And CXP-22s aren't
    > touring rims either. Use a double-eyeleted touring specific rim.
    >
    > * 36 spokes please *


    I'm happy to use a MA3 for a *front* 36-spoke wheel, where tension doesn't
    have to be very high. They're inexpensive, not too heavy, and commonly
    available--handy if/when it comes to replacement.

    ~PB
     
  13. Rick

    Rick Guest

    JJ wrote:
    > Having just read the recent post about cracks developing in Mavic MA-3 rims,
    > I'm re-thinking my decision to use them for the touring wheelset I'm
    > currently building. I just happen to have a brand new pair of Mavix CXP-22
    > rims laying around, and they seem to be heavier/beefier than the MA-3's.
    > Would the CXP-22's be a better choice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Jeff


    I have MA-3's on my commuter/light tourer, have nearing 10K miles on
    them, no problems. Of course, I keep tension to within mfr's specs.
    That said, for a fully loaded touring bike I would want a somewhat
    beefier rim ... and on my fully loaded touring bike I use T520's (now
    renamed A719) - good solid rim. On my wife's we have one T520 and one
    Velocity Dyad (from that time period when the T520 was discontinued and
    the A719 not in the pipeline, yet). Both are fine rims.

    - rick
     
Loading...
Loading...