Better Choice for Touring Rims?

JJ

Guest
Having just read the recent post about cracks developing in Mavic MA-3 rims,
I'm re-thinking my decision to use them for the touring wheelset I'm
currently building. I just happen to have a brand new pair of Mavix CXP-22
rims laying around, and they seem to be heavier/beefier than the MA-3's.
Would the CXP-22's be a better choice?

Thanks,
-Jeff

I don't think MA-3's are particularly good or anything, but I think I'm
noticing something of a contradiction between the rap they've been
getting here lately and the number of people I know who seem to be
running well-built MA-3 wheels without incident. Does anyone know if
mavic ever changed their design/construction at all?

Don't have any actual experience with CXP-22's (ie, don't know if they
crack), but I'm pretty sure they're like 19-20mm wide, which isn't so
great if you want to run wide tires.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't think MA-3's are particularly good or anything, but I think I'm
> noticing something of a contradiction between the rap they've been
> getting here lately and the number of people I know who seem to be
> running well-built MA-3 wheels without incident. Does anyone know if
> mavic ever changed their design/construction at all?
>
> Don't have any actual experience with CXP-22's (ie, don't know if they
> crack), but I'm pretty sure they're like 19-20mm wide, which isn't so
> great if you want to run wide tires.

They backed off on the amount of hard anodizing.
Nevertheless they deserve all the scorn we can heap on
them for the disservice they did to bicyclists, and
retribution in the form of buying rims from other makers.

--
Michael Press

JJ wrote:
> Having just read the recent post about cracks developing in Mavic MA-3 rims,
> I'm re-thinking my decision to use them for the touring wheelset I'm
> currently building. I just happen to have a brand new pair of Mavix CXP-22
> rims laying around, and they seem to be heavier/beefier than the MA-3's.
> Would the CXP-22's be a better choice?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeff

CXP-22 are on;y 32 hole until 2006. 32 is too few spokes for a touring
wheel, Using any rim. Look for a 36h, like Mavic A719 or Velocity Dyad
or Deep V...

Nate Knutson wrote:
> I don't think MA-3's are particularly good or anything, but I think I'm
> noticing something of a contradiction between the rap they've been
> getting here lately and the number of people I know who seem to be
> running well-built MA-3 wheels without incident. Does anyone know if
> mavic ever changed their design/construction at all?

After the initial problems, they said they went to a harder aluminum
but we didn't try any of them.

> Don't have any actual experience with CXP-22's (ie, don't know if they
> crack), but I'm pretty sure they're like 19-20mm wide, which isn't so
> great if you want to run wide tires.

20mm, fine for 38mm tires-

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I don't think MA-3's are particularly good or anything, but I think I'm
> > noticing something of a contradiction between the rap they've been
> > getting here lately and the number of people I know who seem to be
> > running well-built MA-3 wheels without incident. Does anyone know if
> > mavic ever changed their design/construction at all?
> >
> > Don't have any actual experience with CXP-22's (ie, don't know if they
> > crack), but I'm pretty sure they're like 19-20mm wide, which isn't so
> > great if you want to run wide tires.

> They backed off on the amount of hard anodizing.
> Nevertheless they deserve all the scorn we can heap on
> them for the disservice they did to bicyclists, and
> retribution in the form of buying rims from other makers.

Silvers were not 'hard anodized'. Silver pulled eyelets out just as
readily as the CD-grey ones. The color comes from the chemical process,
hence the color.

> --
> Michael Press

> CXP-22 are on;y 32 hole until 2006. 32 is too few spokes for a touring
> wheel, Using any rim. Look for a 36h, like Mavic A719 or Velocity Dyad
> or Deep V...

I'll cast my vote for the Ambrosio Excursion (non-machined) or Evolution
(machined). I just got a set of Excursions dirt cheap off of eBay and
they're working great as cyclocross wheels. Evolutions are about the same
price as MA3s.

http://www.ital-tecno.com/shopexd.asp?id=513

-Hank

JJ wrote:
> Having just read the recent post about cracks developing in Mavic MA-3 rims,
> I'm re-thinking my decision to use them for the touring wheelset I'm
> currently building. I just happen to have a brand new pair of Mavix CXP-22
> rims laying around, and they seem to be heavier/beefier than the MA-3's.
> Would the CXP-22's be a better choice?

I don't think it makes much sense to worry about rim weight for a loaded
touring bike. Just go with something heavy and bullet-proof. If you're
going to stick with Mavic, why not use the rims they designate for
touring? The A719 isn't a great rim, especially for the price, but it's OK.

i read mavic offers a 35c rim for 35c trekking tires. if not cafe gt
touring but running a 32 front then the 35 rim is more reliable with
the 35 or 38 tire

I'm the OP whose MA3 cracked. MA3s for touring? Don't do it.

I wouldn't bother with an MA3 for any useage on any bicycle - there's
no need to because there other rims on the market. And CXP-22s aren't
touring rims either. Use a double-eyeleted touring specific rim.

* 36 spokes please *

- Bernie Sluzalek

Nate Knutson wrote:

> I don't think MA-3's are particularly good or anything, but I think I'm
> noticing something of a contradiction between the rap they've been
> getting here lately and the number of people I know who seem to be
> running well-built MA-3 wheels without incident.

If you ride gently on good surfaces, don't weigh much, and don't carry
heavy stuff on the bike, you can run pretty much whatever rims you
want.

The Alex Adventurer is the best touring rim I've found in 700c lately.
It's inexpensive, too. If I could get it in 48 hole drilling, I'd use
it for all my road bikes.

Chalo Colina

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm the OP whose MA3 cracked. MA3s for touring? Don't do it.
>
> I wouldn't bother with an MA3 for any useage on any bicycle - there's
> no need to because there other rims on the market. And CXP-22s aren't
> touring rims either. Use a double-eyeleted touring specific rim.
>
> * 36 spokes please *

I'm happy to use a MA3 for a *front* 36-spoke wheel, where tension doesn't
have to be very high. They're inexpensive, not too heavy, and commonly
available--handy if/when it comes to replacement.

~PB

JJ wrote:
> Having just read the recent post about cracks developing in Mavic MA-3 rims,
> I'm re-thinking my decision to use them for the touring wheelset I'm
> currently building. I just happen to have a brand new pair of Mavix CXP-22
> rims laying around, and they seem to be heavier/beefier than the MA-3's.
> Would the CXP-22's be a better choice?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeff

I have MA-3's on my commuter/light tourer, have nearing 10K miles on
them, no problems. Of course, I keep tension to within mfr's specs.
That said, for a fully loaded touring bike I would want a somewhat
beefier rim ... and on my fully loaded touring bike I use T520's (now
renamed A719) - good solid rim. On my wife's we have one T520 and one
Velocity Dyad (from that time period when the T520 was discontinued and
the A719 not in the pipeline, yet). Both are fine rims.

- rick