Better than drugs.

slik

Guest
I must be hooked. I've been riding to work in Canberra for several
weeks and none of the drawbacks have been bothering me:

Cold Weather: Two weeks ago the moisture in the air was freezing on my
helmet and brake levers and I did not give up. (I did vow to get some
gloves though).

Other Commuters: Morons who refuse to use lights or insist on riding
side by side with friends on the bike paths have yet to get under my
skin.

Sharing the Shower: Once at work there is only one shower for 5 or 6 of
us that ride each day. The bad news is I think I have developed a new
form of tinea. The good is that the guy I caught it from has probably
been exposed to much worse since I started using the shower before him
:)

Getting Ripped Off by the LBS: I took my bike for a service, you know
clean the chain adjust the cables etc. The bill $100. I'm going to
borrow a book from the library next time.

Joggers: In my current state of poor fitness joggers are a constant
torment to me. When I ride up the hill behind Bruce Stadium and the AIS
it would be nice to be faster than the people jogging. At the moment
I'm in the lowest gear possible trying to avoid a heart attack.

Despite all of this I look forward to the ride each day. In fact the
last few days I have been unable to get on my bike and am becoming
quite upset about it.

In fact whay am I wasting time typing this. I should just get out there
now.

Rob

slik said:
[...]

The funny thing I've noticed is that the more you climb hills, the less steep they get. I really should climb more hills.

On 2006-06-26, Resound (aka Bruce)
> The funny thing I've noticed is that the more you climb hills, the less
> steep they get. I really should climb more hills.

I believe Greg LeMond has something to say about that:

--
TimC
"It never gets easier, you just go faster."

slik wrote:
> I must be hooked. I've been riding to work in Canberra for several
> weeks and none of the drawbacks have been bothering me:

[story chomped]

Great stuff, keep on riding!

slik wrote:
> I must be hooked. I've been riding to work in Canberra for several
> weeks and none of the drawbacks have been bothering me:

> Other Commuters: Morons who refuse to use lights or insist on riding
> side by side with friends on the bike paths have yet to get under my
> skin.

It's the ones riding on the wrong side of the road that get my goat!
Keep an eye out.. they're lurking!

Nice cold one this morning eh!?

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Bean Long said:
It's the ones riding on the wrong side of the road that get my goat!
Keep an eye out.. they're lurking!

Dang LURKING bastards stealing others' goats!

Resound wrote:
> slik Wrote:
>
>>I must be hooked. I've been riding to work in Canberra for several
>>weeks and none of the drawbacks have been bothering me:
>>
>>Cold Weather: Two weeks ago the moisture in the air was freezing on my
>>helmet and brake levers and I did not give up. (I did vow to get some
>>gloves though).
>>
>>Other Commuters: Morons who refuse to use lights or insist on riding
>>side by side with friends on the bike paths have yet to get under my
>>skin.
>>
>>Sharing the Shower: Once at work there is only one shower for 5 or 6
>>of
>>us that ride each day. The bad news is I think I have developed a new
>>form of tinea. The good is that the guy I caught it from has probably
>>been exposed to much worse since I started using the shower before him
>>:)
>>
>>Getting Ripped Off by the LBS: I took my bike for a service, you know
>>clean the chain adjust the cables etc. The bill $100. I'm going to
>>borrow a book from the library next time.
>>
>>Joggers: In my current state of poor fitness joggers are a constant
>>torment to me. When I ride up the hill behind Bruce Stadium and the
>>AIS
>>it would be nice to be faster than the people jogging. At the moment
>>I'm in the lowest gear possible trying to avoid a heart attack.
>>

>>Despite all of this I look forward to the ride each day. In fact the
>>last few days I have been unable to get on my bike and am becoming
>>quite upset about it.
>>
>>In fact whay am I wasting time typing this. I should just get out
>>there
>>now.
>>
>>Rob

> The funny thing I've noticed is that the more you climb hills, the less
> steep they get. I really should climb more hills.

Not only that, but they vanish. Instead of a hill it becomes a gentle
rise. And a gentle rise disappears altogether.

Friday

slik said:
I must be hooked. I've been riding to work in Canberra for several
weeks and none of the drawbacks have been bothering me:

Cold Weather: Two weeks ago the moisture in the air was freezing on my helmet and brake levers and I did not give up. (I did vow to get some gloves though).

I moved to Canberra last september so I am going through the same learning curve. Would you belive that on Sunday on of the guys on our bunch ride had one of there STI levels actually froze from the cold and fog.

slik said:
Other Commuters: Morons who refuse to use lights or insist on riding side by side with friends on the bike paths have yet to get under my
skin.
My suggestion is that as you are coming up on people from behind call out "on your right", this lets people know that you are intending to pass them. Most people are just having a good chat and having a good time and are more then happy to move out of your way if they know you are coming.

As for the lack of lights I was coming home the other night along Adelaide Ave and nearly took out a twit with no lights, black clothing and no helmet; to make matters worse he gave me a mouthful of abuse when I flew past him for going to fast and not warning him. The way I figure it the more lights, the more likely that I will be seen. Those small LED's are handy and light.

Use to get told in the Army to **** on your toes to kill of the tinea, your choice :p . My suggestion is to get a cheap pair of thongs (my choice rather then the **** option) to wear in the shower. Also try DaktaGold to get rid of the problem, it works really effectively.

I use the Rideshop on Lonsdale Street, Barton. Dean and Allan (the owners) are great and knowlageable. www.rideshop.com.au

slik said:
Joggers: In my current state of poor fitness joggers are a constant
torment to me. When I ride up the hill behind Bruce Stadium and the AIS
it would be nice to be faster than the people jogging. At the moment
I'm in the lowest gear possible trying to avoid a heart attack.
Over time you will get fitter and stronger, dont worry about it just enjoy being out there and before you know it you will be crusing up Black Mt trying to avoid a heart attack :D

slik said:
Despite all of this I look forward to the ride each day. In fact the
last few days I have been unable to get on my bike and am becoming
quite upset about it.

Know the feeling, just had a month off due to a injury.

Just to let you know there is a cycling move series on at Electric Shadows over this weekend (as well as the TDF) www.celluioidcycles.com.au

jcjordan wrote:

> Use to get told in the Army to **** on your toes to kill of the tinea,
> your choice :p .

it does work.

Incidently the most pain I have ever been in was when I was in PANCH
with a broken hip. Nope it wasnt the hip. It was the tinea I picked up
in hospital. And yeah I am serious.

I shant bother you with the ugly details but dont ever believe tinea is
never a big deal

Dave

flyingdutch wrote:
> Bean Long Wrote:
>> It's the ones riding on the wrong side of the road that get my goat!
>> Keep an eye out.. they're lurking!
>>

> Dang LURKING bastards stealing others' goats!

Too bloody right! Canberra's full of 'em. Be A Lert, not A Larmed!

--

Resound wrote:

> The funny thing I've noticed is that the more you climb hills, the less
> steep they get. I really should climb more hills.

Karen pointed that out to us this morning!

Tam