better than the real thing

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by davek, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. davek

    davek Guest

    I'm all in favour of doing something different with a cover version, but
    I didn't even recognise what that was supposed to be, which seems a bit
    perverse. However, I still liked it very much indeed.

    cheers,

    David Kenning

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. davek

    davek Guest

    I wrote:
    > I'm all in favour of doing something different with a cover version...

    Excuse me. Wrong addressee.

    (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting version
    of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew Collins show
    BBC 6Music)

    d.

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    davek wrote:
    > I wrote:
    >> I'm all in favour of doing something different with a cover
    >> version...

    > Excuse me. Wrong addressee.
    >
    > (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting
    > version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew
    > Collins show BBC 6Music)
    >
    > d.

    Heard Devo's version?

  4. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > davek wrote:
    > > I wrote:
    > >> I'm all in favour of doing something different with a cover
    > >> version...

    > > Excuse me. Wrong addressee.
    > >
    > > (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting
    > > version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew
    > > Collins show BBC 6Music)
    > >
    > > d.

    > Heard Devo's version?

    Please to get back in aus.bicycle if you are a Devo fan :)
    --
    "I'm constantly shocked at how low ARKites opinions
    are of me. Probably shouldn't be, but I am."

  5. Vivian

    Vivian Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > davek wrote:
    > > I wrote:
    > >> I'm all in favour of doing something different with a cover
    > >> version...

    > > Excuse me. Wrong addressee.
    > >
    > > (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting
    > > version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew
    > > Collins show BBC 6Music)
    > >
    > > d.

    > Heard Devo's version?

    Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's pathetic. And
    the assholes of record companies releasing said covers as singles instead of
    originals. An example is David Bowie's new album. He records a cover of
    Waterloo Sunset, and the radios go on and play it till death. It's not a bad
    cover, but, still! And the new bands? Covers of Talk Talk (No Doubt) of
    Tears for Fears (can't even remember the name) and The Who (someone else!).
    What happened to original songwriting? And how hugely popular these cover
    bands are becoming? I mean, hello?? Ok, the Counterfeit Stones are a damn
    good tribute to the greates Rock n' Roll band in the world, and good fun!
    Always making a quick buck with less effort!

    Rock on, Bruce!!!

    --
    Vivian
    -------

  6. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Vivian wrote:
    > "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:412[email protected]
    >> davek wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Excuse me. Wrong addressee.
    >>>
    >>> (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting
    >>> version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew
    >>> Collins show BBC 6Music)
    >>>
    >>> d.

    >> Heard Devo's version?
    >>

    > Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's
    > pathetic. And the assholes of record companies releasing said covers
    > as singles instead of originals. An example is David Bowie's new
    > album. He records a cover of Waterloo Sunset, and the radios go on
    > and play it till death. It's not a bad cover, but, still! And the new
    > bands? Covers of Talk Talk (No Doubt) of Tears for Fears (can't even
    > remember the name) and The Who (someone else!). What happened to
    > original songwriting? And how hugely popular these cover bands are
    > becoming? I mean, hello?? Ok, the Counterfeit Stones are a damn good
    > tribute to the greates Rock n' Roll band in the world, and good fun!
    > Always making a quick buck with less effort!
    >
    > Rock on, Bruce!!!

    Yebbut, have you heard it?

  7. Robert Bruce

    Robert Bruce Guest

    mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
    > "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >> Heard Devo's version?
    >>

    > Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days.

    To be fair to Devo, their version was originally released in early 1978, so
    "these days" doesn't really apply. It was (and remains) rubbish, BTW, as
    does the original <runs for cover[1]>.

    --
    Rob

    [1] Don't excuse the pun if you don't want to.

    Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
    and benefit.

  8. Vivian

    Vivian Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Vivian wrote:
    > > "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >> Heard Devo's version?
    > >>

    > > Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's
    > > pathetic. And the assholes of record companies releasing said covers
    > > as singles instead of originals. An example is David Bowie's new
    > > album. He records a cover of Waterloo Sunset, and the radios go on
    > > and play it till death. It's not a bad cover, but, still! And the new
    > > bands? Covers of Talk Talk (No Doubt) of Tears for Fears (can't even
    > > remember the name) and The Who (someone else!). What happened to
    > > original songwriting? And how hugely popular these cover bands are
    > > becoming? I mean, hello?? Ok, the Counterfeit Stones are a damn good
    > > tribute to the greates Rock n' Roll band in the world, and good fun!
    > > Always making a quick buck with less effort!
    > >
    > > Rock on, Bruce!!!

    > Yebbut, have you heard it?

    Nope! But listening to the Cat Power version of Satisfaction right now...

    --
    Vivian
    -------
    "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
    No Surrender

  9. davek

    davek Guest

    Vivian wrote:
    > Nope! But listening to the Cat Power version of Satisfaction right now...

    What do you reckon? I didn't even recognise it as the same song.

    I've not heard the Devo version either.

    d.

  10. Vivian

    Vivian Guest

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Vivian wrote:
    > > Nope! But listening to the Cat Power version of Satisfaction right

    now...

    > What do you reckon? I didn't even recognise it as the same song.
    >
    > I've not heard the Devo version either.
    >
    > d.

    Not bad, but that song w/o the riff it's not the same. It's what made the
    song, that riff is that Keith had in his head for days until him and Mick
    penned the song down.

    Still, rock on Bruce!

    Vivian
    -------
    "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
    No Surrender

  11. Vivian

    Vivian Guest

    "Robert Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
    > and benefit.

    We are!

    --
    Vivian
    -------
    "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
    No Surrender

  12. > Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's pathetic.
    > And the assholes of record companies releasing said covers as singles
    > instead of originals.

    Didn't it used to be ridiculous a few decades ago, with the covers being
    released while the original was still in the chart, and the two vying for
    the top spot? I think we might have it lucky these days :)

  13. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:29:25 +0100, "Vivian" <[email protected]>
    wrote (more or less):

    >"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> davek wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Excuse me. Wrong addressee.
    >> >
    >> > (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting
    >> > version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew
    >> > Collins show BBC 6Music)
    >> >
    >> > d.

    >> Heard Devo's version?
    >>

    >Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's pathetic. And
    >the assholes of record companies releasing said covers as singles instead of
    >originals. An example is David Bowie's new album. He records a cover of
    >Waterloo Sunset, and the radios go on and play it till death. It's not a bad
    >cover, but, still! And the new bands? Covers of Talk Talk (No Doubt) of
    >Tears for Fears (can't even remember the name) and The Who (someone else!).
    >What happened to original songwriting? And how hugely popular these cover
    >bands are becoming? I mean, hello?? Ok, the Counterfeit Stones are a damn
    >good tribute to the greates Rock n' Roll band in the world, and good fun!
    >Always making a quick buck with less effort!

    It's less effort, but you only make 1/6th of the money.

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  14. D.M. Procida

    D.M. Procida Guest

    Vivian <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Heard Devo's version?
    > >

    > Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's pathetic.

    It depends. Some covers are as good as a whole new song. Devo's version
    of "Satisfaction" shines some new light on it, while the Residents'
    version (which also dates from around the same time) - well, I'm not
    sure how to describe it. Someone said it was like an evisceration with a
    blowtorch, which is OK by me.

    Daniele
    --
    Apple Juice Ltd
    Chapter Arts Centre

  15. Robert Bruce

    Robert Bruce Guest

    mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
    > "Robert Bruce" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >
    >> Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
    >> and benefit.
    >>

    > We are!

    The sig is mainly for the benefit of users of the peer-to-peer tech support
    groups that I frequent. It's not unusual to answer a simple query in one of
    those groups only subsequntly to be bombarded by follow-up emails.

    --
    Rob

    Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
    and benefit.

  16. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    [email protected] (D.M. Procida) wrote in message news:<1gisgqq.dfx5c917cquqnN%[email protected]>
    > It depends. Some covers are as good as a whole new song. Devo's version
    > of "Satisfaction" shines some new light on it, while the Residents'
    > version (which also dates from around the same time) - well, I'm not
    > sure how to describe it. Someone said it was like an evisceration with a
    > blowtorch, which is OK by me.

    Quite right. Would anyone describe The Clash's English Civil War
    (Johnny Comes Marching Home) or Wrong 'Em Boyo (Staggerlee) as mere
    covers?

    Trying to get it back on topic, what of Senor Coconut's re-working of
    Kraftwerk (including Tour de France) in a latin-style?

    Toby

  17. D.M. Procida

    D.M. Procida Guest

    Toby Barrett <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Trying to get it back on topic, what of Senor Coconut's re-working of
    > Kraftwerk (including Tour de France) in a latin-style?

    I have a friend who is a keen cyclist, and a while ago - after the Tour
    de France album came out - he was struggling painfully up some really
    steep hill until he suddenly hit the rhythm of "Tour de France" - the
    pedalling and the breathing - and found himself almost coasting up, not
    effortlessly, but smoothly and powerfully. So as with most things to do
    with Kraftwerk, there's probably some precisely-observed truth hidden
    away in it.

    Daniele
    --
    Apple Juice Ltd
    Chapter Arts Centre
    Market Road www.apple-juice.co.uk
    Cardiff CF5 1QE 029 2019 0140

  18. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    D.M. Procida wrote:
    > Toby Barrett <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Trying to get it back on topic, what of Senor Coconut's re-working of
    >> Kraftwerk (including Tour de France) in a latin-style?

    > I have a friend who is a keen cyclist, and a while ago - after the
    > Tour de France album came out - he was struggling painfully up some
    > really steep hill until he suddenly hit the rhythm of "Tour de
    > France" - the pedalling and the breathing - and found himself almost
    > coasting up, not effortlessly, but smoothly and powerfully. So as
    > with most things to do with Kraftwerk, there's probably some
    > precisely-observed truth hidden away in it.

    Or perhaps not. A good rhythm at /any cadence/ is important in cycling.