better than the real thing

davek

Guest
I'm all in favour of doing something different with a cover version, but
I didn't even recognise what that was supposed to be, which seems a bit
perverse. However, I still liked it very much indeed.

cheers,

David Kenning

[email protected]

I wrote:
> I'm all in favour of doing something different with a cover version...

Excuse me. Wrong addressee.

(In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting version
of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew Collins show
BBC 6Music)

d.

davek wrote:
> I wrote:
>> I'm all in favour of doing something different with a cover
>> version...

> Excuse me. Wrong addressee.
>
> (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting
> version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew
> Collins show BBC 6Music)
>
> d.

Heard Devo's version?

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> davek wrote:
> > I wrote:
> >> I'm all in favour of doing something different with a cover
> >> version...

> > Excuse me. Wrong addressee.
> >
> > (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting
> > version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew
> > Collins show BBC 6Music)
> >
> > d.

> Heard Devo's version?

Please to get back in aus.bicycle if you are a Devo fan :)
--
"I'm constantly shocked at how low ARKites opinions
are of me. Probably shouldn't be, but I am."

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> davek wrote:
> > I wrote:
> >> I'm all in favour of doing something different with a cover
> >> version...

> > Excuse me. Wrong addressee.
> >
> > (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting
> > version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew
> > Collins show BBC 6Music)
> >
> > d.

> Heard Devo's version?

Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's pathetic. And
the assholes of record companies releasing said covers as singles instead of
originals. An example is David Bowie's new album. He records a cover of
Waterloo Sunset, and the radios go on and play it till death. It's not a bad
cover, but, still! And the new bands? Covers of Talk Talk (No Doubt) of
Tears for Fears (can't even remember the name) and The Who (someone else!).
What happened to original songwriting? And how hugely popular these cover
bands are becoming? I mean, hello?? Ok, the Counterfeit Stones are a damn
good tribute to the greates Rock n' Roll band in the world, and good fun!
Always making a quick buck with less effort!

Rock on, Bruce!!!

--
Vivian
-------

Vivian wrote:
> "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> davek wrote:
>>>
>>> Excuse me. Wrong addressee.
>>>
>>> (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting
>>> version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew
>>> Collins show BBC 6Music)
>>>
>>> d.

>> Heard Devo's version?
>>

> Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's
> pathetic. And the assholes of record companies releasing said covers
> as singles instead of originals. An example is David Bowie's new
> album. He records a cover of Waterloo Sunset, and the radios go on
> and play it till death. It's not a bad cover, but, still! And the new
> bands? Covers of Talk Talk (No Doubt) of Tears for Fears (can't even
> remember the name) and The Who (someone else!). What happened to
> original songwriting? And how hugely popular these cover bands are
> becoming? I mean, hello?? Ok, the Counterfeit Stones are a damn good
> tribute to the greates Rock n' Roll band in the world, and good fun!
> Always making a quick buck with less effort!
>
> Rock on, Bruce!!!

Yebbut, have you heard it?

mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
> "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Heard Devo's version?
>>

> Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days.

To be fair to Devo, their version was originally released in early 1978, so
"these days" doesn't really apply. It was (and remains) rubbish, BTW, as
does the original <runs for cover[1]>.

--
Rob

[1] Don't excuse the pun if you don't want to.

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
and benefit.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Vivian wrote:
> > "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Heard Devo's version?
> >>

> > Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's
> > pathetic. And the assholes of record companies releasing said covers
> > as singles instead of originals. An example is David Bowie's new
> > album. He records a cover of Waterloo Sunset, and the radios go on
> > and play it till death. It's not a bad cover, but, still! And the new
> > bands? Covers of Talk Talk (No Doubt) of Tears for Fears (can't even
> > remember the name) and The Who (someone else!). What happened to
> > original songwriting? And how hugely popular these cover bands are
> > becoming? I mean, hello?? Ok, the Counterfeit Stones are a damn good
> > tribute to the greates Rock n' Roll band in the world, and good fun!
> > Always making a quick buck with less effort!
> >
> > Rock on, Bruce!!!

> Yebbut, have you heard it?

Nope! But listening to the Cat Power version of Satisfaction right now...

--
Vivian
-------

Vivian wrote:
> Nope! But listening to the Cat Power version of Satisfaction right now...

What do you reckon? I didn't even recognise it as the same song.

I've not heard the Devo version either.

d.

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Vivian wrote:
> > Nope! But listening to the Cat Power version of Satisfaction right

now...

> What do you reckon? I didn't even recognise it as the same song.
>
> I've not heard the Devo version either.
>
> d.

Not bad, but that song w/o the riff it's not the same. It's what made the
song, that riff is that Keith had in his head for days until him and Mick
penned the song down.

Still, rock on Bruce!

Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
No Surrender

"Robert Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
> and benefit.

We are!

--
Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
No Surrender

> Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's pathetic.
> And the assholes of record companies releasing said covers as singles
> instead of originals.

Didn't it used to be ridiculous a few decades ago, with the covers being
released while the original was still in the chart, and the two vying for
the top spot? I think we might have it lucky these days :)

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:29:25 +0100, "Vivian" <[email protected]>
wrote (more or less):

>"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> davek wrote:
>> >
>> > Excuse me. Wrong addressee.
>> >
>> > (In case you're wondering, I've just heard a rather interesting
>> > version of I Can't Get No Satisfaction by Cat Power on the Andrew
>> > Collins show BBC 6Music)
>> >
>> > d.

>> Heard Devo's version?
>>

>Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's pathetic. And
>the assholes of record companies releasing said covers as singles instead of
>originals. An example is David Bowie's new album. He records a cover of
>Waterloo Sunset, and the radios go on and play it till death. It's not a bad
>cover, but, still! And the new bands? Covers of Talk Talk (No Doubt) of
>Tears for Fears (can't even remember the name) and The Who (someone else!).
>What happened to original songwriting? And how hugely popular these cover
>bands are becoming? I mean, hello?? Ok, the Counterfeit Stones are a damn
>good tribute to the greates Rock n' Roll band in the world, and good fun!
>Always making a quick buck with less effort!

It's less effort, but you only make 1/6th of the money.

--
Cheers,
Euan

Vivian <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Heard Devo's version?
> >

> Way too many bands and artists doing covers these days. It's pathetic.

It depends. Some covers are as good as a whole new song. Devo's version
of "Satisfaction" shines some new light on it, while the Residents'
version (which also dates from around the same time) - well, I'm not
sure how to describe it. Someone said it was like an evisceration with a
blowtorch, which is OK by me.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre

mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
> "Robert Bruce" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>> Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
>> and benefit.
>>

> We are!

The sig is mainly for the benefit of users of the peer-to-peer tech support
groups that I frequent. It's not unusual to answer a simple query in one of
those groups only subsequntly to be bombarded by follow-up emails.

--
Rob

[email protected] (D.M. Procida) wrote in message news:<1gisgqq.dfx5c917cquqnN%[email protected]>
> It depends. Some covers are as good as a whole new song. Devo's version
> of "Satisfaction" shines some new light on it, while the Residents'
> version (which also dates from around the same time) - well, I'm not
> sure how to describe it. Someone said it was like an evisceration with a
> blowtorch, which is OK by me.

Quite right. Would anyone describe The Clash's English Civil War
(Johnny Comes Marching Home) or Wrong 'Em Boyo (Staggerlee) as mere
covers?

Trying to get it back on topic, what of Senor Coconut's re-working of
Kraftwerk (including Tour de France) in a latin-style?

Toby

Toby Barrett <[email protected]> wrote:

> Trying to get it back on topic, what of Senor Coconut's re-working of
> Kraftwerk (including Tour de France) in a latin-style?

I have a friend who is a keen cyclist, and a while ago - after the Tour
de France album came out - he was struggling painfully up some really
steep hill until he suddenly hit the rhythm of "Tour de France" - the
pedalling and the breathing - and found himself almost coasting up, not
effortlessly, but smoothly and powerfully. So as with most things to do
with Kraftwerk, there's probably some precisely-observed truth hidden
away in it.

Daniele
--

D.M. Procida wrote:
> Toby Barrett <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Trying to get it back on topic, what of Senor Coconut's re-working of
>> Kraftwerk (including Tour de France) in a latin-style?

> I have a friend who is a keen cyclist, and a while ago - after the
> Tour de France album came out - he was struggling painfully up some
> really steep hill until he suddenly hit the rhythm of "Tour de
> France" - the pedalling and the breathing - and found himself almost
> coasting up, not effortlessly, but smoothly and powerfully. So as
> with most things to do with Kraftwerk, there's probably some
> precisely-observed truth hidden away in it.

Or perhaps not. A good rhythm at /any cadence/ is important in cycling.