Better then snake oil - broccoli

Igor

Guest
I noticed already several months ago that broccoli has some superior effects for my diabetes: it
seems that it can decrease the quantity of insulin required (for the meal with broccoli, not curing
diabetes...).

When I eat my favorite "baked broccoli with potatos" (broccoli with potatos 50:50, cheese, egs,
cream - baked in an oven) I noticed, that the amount of insulin is say by one third lower than for
"normal" meal with the same amount of carbs. It works also for pasta with broccoli, but always with
a relatively big amount of broccoli.

My theory is that the amount of broccoli slows the digestion so much that some carbs get never
digested and never get to the blood stream.

Just an idea, if you want some meal for a full stomach...

Igor

Igor <[email protected]> quoth:
>I noticed already several months ago that broccoli has some superior effects for my diabetes: it
>seems that it can decrease the quantity of insulin required (for the meal with broccoli, not curing
>diabetes...).

>When I eat my favorite "baked broccoli with potatos" (broccoli with potatos 50:50, cheese, egs,
>cream - baked in an oven) I noticed, that the amount of insulin is say by one third lower than for
>"normal" meal with the same amount of carbs. It works also for pasta with broccoli, but always with
>a relatively big amount of broccoli.

How are you going about measuring the amount of insulin? Or did you mean to say blood glucose?

>My theory is that the amount of broccoli slows the digestion so much that some carbs get never
>digested and never get to the blood stream. Just an idea, if you want some meal for a full
>stomach...

I am a serious fan of broccoli, so I will be delighted if we discover that there is yet another
reason to eat it to add to the already lengthy list!

Priscilla
--
From the discussion of a ban taking away the right for gays to marry in MA: "This is like a family.
When you raise a family you treat every one of your kids the same. The only time you take privileges

Priscilla H Ballou <[email protected]> quoth:
>Igor <[email protected]> quoth:
>>I noticed already several months ago that broccoli has some superior effects for my diabetes: it
>>seems that it can decrease the quantity of insulin required (for the meal with broccoli, not
>>curing diabetes...).

>>When I eat my favorite "baked broccoli with potatos" (broccoli with potatos 50:50, cheese, egs,
>>cream - baked in an oven) I noticed, that

Sounds good, BTW, but I usually have to stay away from potatoes, although it would be worth a "lab
experiment" to see if what you've found would work for me, too.

>>the amount of insulin is say by one third lower than for "normal" meal with the same amount of
>>carbs. It works also for pasta with broccoli, but always with a relatively big amount of broccoli.

>How are you going about measuring the amount of insulin? Or did you mean to say blood glucose?

Never mind. I think I get it now. You are able to INJECT a smaller amount of insulin, not that the
body PRODUCES a smaller amount of insulin. You didn't identify yourself as IDDM, and since I'm NIDDM
I read with those eyes.

Priscilla
--
From the discussion of a ban taking away the right for gays to marry in MA: "This is like a family.
When you raise a family you treat every one of your kids the same. The only time you take privileges
or rights away from them is when they did something wrong. I'll be darned if I can figure out what
these people did wrong." Sen. Robert A. Havern, D-Arlington, who opposes a gay marriage ban.

"Igor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I noticed already several months ago that broccoli has some superior effects for my diabetes: it
> seems that it can decrease the quantity of insulin required (for the meal with broccoli, not
> curing diabetes...).
>
> When I eat my favorite "baked broccoli with potatos" (broccoli with potatos 50:50, cheese, egs,
> cream - baked in an oven) I noticed, that the amount of insulin is say by one third lower than for
> "normal" meal with the same amount of carbs. It works also for pasta with broccoli, but always
> with a relatively big amount of broccoli.
>
> My theory is that the amount of broccoli slows the digestion so much that some carbs get never
> digested and never get to the blood stream.
>
> Just an idea, if you want some meal for a full stomach...

Might work for you, but I think cooked broccoli is disgusting. I can't eat anything that has the
slightest little bit of broccoli in it. Ruins the whole dish for me.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

"Igor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I noticed already several months ago that broccoli has some superior effects for my diabetes: it
> seems that it can decrease the quantity of insulin required (for the meal with broccoli, not
> curing diabetes...).

I'm Type I and I LOVE broccoli. Sadly, I've never noticed the same thing you did. Having a lot in
one meal doesn't change my insulin requirements. If I buy fresh broccoli (which, sadly, isn't too
often because my supermarket really really sucks) I'll cut most of the stems off and eat the entire
thing in one meal. I had a good brand of frozen chopped broccoli this week but threw the box and and
can't remember what brand it was, because I really want to get more.

Broccoli and carrots were about the only vegetables I liked as a kid, and used to get really upset
at dinner if too many other people wanted some of the broccoli (meant less for me).

Liz

"Priscilla H Ballou" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Igor <[email protected]> quoth:
> >I noticed already several months ago that broccoli has some superior effects for my diabetes: it
> >seems that it can decrease the quantity of insulin required (for the meal with broccoli, not
> >curing diabetes...).
>
> >When I eat my favorite "baked broccoli with potatos" (broccoli with potatos 50:50, cheese, egs,
> >cream - baked in an oven) I noticed, that the amount of insulin is say by one third lower than
> >for "normal" meal with the same amount of carbs. It works also for pasta with broccoli, but
> >always with a relatively big amount of broccoli.
>
> How are you going about measuring the amount of insulin? Or did you mean to say blood glucose?

I'd say he's discovered that eating his brocolli (sad man who does that:))) his insulin requirement
dropped by roughly a third. He'd get that info from his BG readings after eating.

> >My theory is that the amount of broccoli slows the digestion so much that some carbs get never
> >digested and never get to the blood stream. Just an idea, if you want some meal for a full
> >stomach...
>
> I am a serious fan of broccoli, so I will be delighted if we discover that there is yet another
> reason to eat it to add to the already lengthy list!

No, not brocolli, it's bloody horrible stuff. Even my DOG refuses to eat the stuff:)

Beav

I eat broccoli occasionally, but grudgingly, going by the rule "if it tastes awful it's gotta be
healthy". I wonder if one could try smoking it.... I suppose then it definitely wouldn't be
healthy...

Henry

"Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Igor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I noticed already several months ago that broccoli has some superior effects for my diabetes: it
> > seems that it can decrease the quantity of insulin required (for the meal with broccoli, not
> > curing diabetes...).
> >
> > When I eat my favorite "baked broccoli with potatos" (broccoli with potatos 50:50, cheese, egs,
> > cream - baked in an oven) I noticed, that the amount of insulin is say by one third lower than
> > for "normal" meal with the same amount of carbs. It works also for pasta with broccoli, but
> > always with a relatively big amount of broccoli.
> >
> > My theory is that the amount of broccoli slows the digestion so much that some carbs get never
> > digested and never get to the blood stream.
> >
> > Just an idea, if you want some meal for a full stomach...
>
> Might work for you, but I think cooked broccoli is disgusting. I can't
eat
> anything that has the slightest little bit of broccoli in it. Ruins the whole dish for me.
>
> --
> Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:50:45 +1100, "hemyd" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I eat broccoli occasionally, but grudgingly, going by the rule "if it tastes awful it's gotta be
>healthy". I wonder if one could try smoking it.... I suppose then it definitely wouldn't be
>healthy...
>
>Henry

I'm on your side Henry.

Although I must admit it's surprising how many of the foods I couldn't stand a few years back have
become more edible and appetising as others became unsuitable. Raw asparagus, sweet potato and black
coffee with cinnamon (all seperately:) to name just a few.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Oz.

"Beav" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<0CdXb.5186
> > How are you going about measuring the amount of insulin? Or did you mean to say blood glucose?
>
> I'd say he's discovered that eating his brocolli (sad man who does that:))) his insulin
> requirement dropped by roughly a third. He'd get that info from his BG readings after eating.

Right, I am type 1.

> No, not brocolli, it's bloody horrible stuff. Even my DOG refuses to eat the stuff:)

Dogs in general dislike any vegetable, so I am not supprised by that... :))

By the way, once I wanted to try a REAL AMERICAN HAMBURGER and therefore I went to TGI Fridays and
ordered one really BIG and original hamburger with "freedom" fries (BTW that was before I was
diagnosed). It looked great until I tried to eat it - not even a whole bottle of tabasco did help
with the disgusting taste of mid rare milled meat in white bread - I admit that there are things in
the world, which even a hungry Somali village would not eat...

BTW2: I do like "MacDonald" style hamburgers, just the TGI was disgusting...

Igor, T1, late onset, can eat brocolli...