Better To Rent Or To Buy Bike?

bykster said:
You're really in a pickle of a situation!
Even if you're not an avid bike rider, I always suggest getting your own, but since your case is a little specific I think you can be fine with renting for a while. However, if you notice this is becoming more than just a hobby and you're spending a lot of money on renting, then I suggest getting your own bike and trying stuff out to protect it. Can you leave in your apartment? I know it's not practical, but odds are it won't get stolen. Maybe leave it on the balcony if you have one? Like I said, tough situation.
Exactly what I also had in mind, but failed to mention - forgot to type it down. You could always put your bike in your flat, I know many of the people who live in buildings without basements or a safe storage, they often just put the bike in the hall of their flat.
The balcony is also a great idea, though I noticed many of the flats have those small balkonies where only one person can barely stand...so that could also be a problem. Plus the flat can be quite small...Difficult to give any advise if you are not sure what the place @ [email protected] lives in looks like.

Reactions: pwarbi
I keep my bicycle in the house all the time anyway just in case and while at the start it's a bit awkward finding a place out of the way to store it, I'd rather live with that than getting it stolen (obviously)

Where there's a will there's a way, as the saying goes...

Yes, I agree with you bykster, renting a bike is something that makes no sense at all in my head, unless it's something punctual. For a permanent solution we need to buy one.

If the rental is going to cost more than half of the retail cost of the bike (because that's what you can sell if for after you're done with it), you're better off buying.

Reactions: mayasupernova
I am new to biking and I wanted your advice to see if it is better to but or rent a bike. I live in a condo and the bikes in our garage often get stolen, even if the bikes are locked. We have a local bike shop around the corner that rents bikes. The hourly rate for the bikes are between 6-7 dollars per hour. I am not an avid bike rider. I ride bikes about two times a week, for about a couple hours each time!! I would really appreciate your opinion.
They may not steal your new bike but they may steal the one that you rent. Either way theft is universal. I always like to own my own stuff so I would suggest that you buy one as well.

Or better yet why don't you start your own rental company..lol.. The first bike you buy will be the first investment into it.

I suppose you buy your own bike, that will save you a lot of money instead of renting for that amount. I don't think that it is difficult for you to store your bike indoors. You can have a small space to store it at night. You can even have somewhere to hang it, only at night. If that is impossible then you can push it under your bed at night. Is it possible to store it on the roof?

Depends on how much time you want to spend cycling and riding around. And, of course, on your incomes and other needs you spend your money on. I'd recommend you purchase a cheap but decent bike. Which may also had been in use already.